Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Classic mistake

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Guran, May 16, 2018.

1. Guran

Guran Friend of Leo's

Mar 20, 2007
    Sweden
    On sunday my nine years old daughter had an away soccer game. I wasn't feeling that well as I had the flu coming, but I didn't really know yet. We did the one hour trip, and as she and the team met and started warming, I went over to the skate park next to the fields.

As I said, I wasn't feeling well, but I decided to skate a little to see if that could help. I put my pads on and emptied my pockets from anything unnecessary. Wallet, phone, daughter's phone, house keys all went into a box in the trunk. I closed the box and closed the trunk and just realized that I wanted the water bottle with me. Put the hand in my pocket to unlock the car, but there was the house key... While the car key was in the closed box in the trunk of the locked car...

Crap, I better call my wife. She had been driving the other daughter to an away game the day before, so it was supposed to be her day of fun and recreation. This didn't feel good! But the phone's in the trunk...

Back at the soccer field I found one of the other parents, so I could use his phone. Then I realized that my wife was leading her gym class, so I couldn't call her. I called my mom instead. She said "Yes I can go there, Where are the spare keys?". I had to ask her to go to gym and ask the reception where my wife was. Then go there and ask her where she kept the keys...

Meanwhile the fever was getting a hold on me. The weather was sunny and low eighties, my sun hat was in the car and so was my water. I could get a zip from my daughter bottle in the pause, but I was feeling quite miserable for more than one reason. On the other hand I saw my daughter score a goal near the end, and in first half, when she was the goalie, she saved a penalty shot. Not everything was bad!

Eventually both my mom and wife showed up after a couple of hours. I didn't even have to drive home. I like, even love, driving, but not with the combination of fever and overheating.

I've had my license for 33 years and this was the first time I locked the keys in.

2. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 12, 2008
    Houston
    Wow, it's crazy how little miscues compound into an awful afternoon. Seems it worked out, but what a drag.

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Great story!
    Last year, after driving for 45 years, I locked my keys in the car, at my regular gig, three, count em’, three times.
    I had to call a service called Pop A Lock every time.
    Not smart, not pretty.
    $50ish bucks a time.
    Guess who has spare keys in his wallet, and in my main gigging guitars cases/bags?
    Doh!

t guitar floyd, tery and nojazzhere like this.

4. Guran

Guran Friend of Leo's

Mar 20, 2007
    Sweden
    The only way to lock the keys in in modern cars is to have the trunk open and locking the car, then put the keys in the trunk and close it. That's what I did.

When I go fly fishing I usually lock the car before I put my waders on. Then, when I'm about to close the trunk, I get worried. "Did I put the keys in my pocket before I put the waders on?". So I feel the key through the waders, but what if it's something else? Then I try to unlock the car by pressing where the button should be. Yes, it's the keys. Then I can't lock the car, so I have to half-drop the waders again to lock it. Maybe I should stop locking the car with the trunk open? :rolleyes:

telemnemonics likes this.

5. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    It's awful when circumstances conspire against you - especially when you're not feeling well. I locked my car keys in an old car in the early 80's but managed to get the door open using a wire coat-hanger pushed under the window seal and hooked around the lock / button on the door. I'd seen it done on TV but didn't realise how easy it was.

Anyway, your story reminded me of a bit of a farce from several years ago that I hope will make you smile as much as I do when I recall the day.....

My (then) regular golfing partner and I were playing a pair from another company in the final of a "corporate" match play competition at a neutral course. Unusually, we were both playing well, simultaneously, and we'd built up a very healthy lead over the opposition, who were having a mare of a day.

We were 6 up with 6 to play and just needed a half to win on the next hole - a shortish par 3, over water. We had the honour. Our tee shot nestled to within a yard of the hole.

The guy who hit their tee shot had seemed to be getting very frustrated and aggressive as they'd slipped further behind and it all came to a head with his tee shot which he topped and scudded it into the water. There was a moment of calm before he threw his iron into the water, screamed some obscenities, and followed up his tantrum by flinging his bag into the lake.

My partner and I didn't know whether to laugh or try to offer words of condolence. As it happened, we didn't get chance to do either as, seconds later, realising his car keys, phone and wallet were in his golf bag, he threw himself into the lake to retrieve them. He was obviously unfamiliar with the course as the water was very deep and he couldn't locate the bag.

We pulled him out of the water and accompanied the soggy mess back to the clubhouse so he could shower, change and think how he could retrieve his belongings. At that point, he remembered that the key to his locker was also in his submerged golf bag.

We left him and his playing partner and went to meet our other team-mates. The golf bag was recovered after we left - minus a few clubs - when it was dredged from the bottom using a weighted net. I think someone said he's also been barred from the course.

6. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

Dec 28, 2007
    Wimauma Florida
    If only there was some sort of subscription service you could sign up for that would send a service truck out to get you going.

7. esseff

esseff Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2014
    East Midlands, UK
    When I was young and foolish (instead of now being old and foolish) I lurched back to the shared house I lived in after several drinks in several bars. After five minutes of fumbling about in my pockets for the keys to my room door, I realised I'd lost them someplace. As soon as I'd shoulder-barged the door open to the accompaniment of cursing and splintering wood, one of the other tenants enquired what was going on. When I told him I must have dropped my keys on the mile-long walk home, he asked me how I'd gotten into the house to begin with.
    Yes, the keys were still in the front door... :oops:
    That was a few bucks to the local carpenter.

Nightclub Dwight likes this.

8. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2012
    Sou Cal
    The last month that I was still driving, twice I went to Trader Joe’s and left the car running.
    Doors unlocked, engine running, each time about 45 minutes.
    The first time it happened, I stood next to the car for at least five minutes looking for my keys before I realized the engine was running.
    I’d never done that in 50 years of driving, so I was a little stunned at my behavior.

nojazzhere likes this.

9. Preacher

Preacher Tele-Afflicted

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    When it rains... it pours.

I will say that when sickness occurs I seem to do stuff that I normally would not do. Like microwave aluminum foil.

10. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Probably wouldn't have helped in your situation, (since you had emptied your pockets) but I carry my key "fob" separately from my keys. That way, if I lock my keys in the car, or lose keys somehow, I can always unlock the door. And since I have a spare key in glovebox, I'm not stranded. I don't like some people's practice of putting a spare key in a magnet box under the fender or bumper.

11. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2016
    California
    My ex-wife used to lock her keys in the car so many times the door wouldn't seal to the car anymore. They used that little balloon thing to make space to hit the unlock button. After the 5th time or so the car had to go to a body shop.

12. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Years ago, my mom was going to the symphony, and enjoying WRR (classical station) on the radio. She got to her destination, and wanted to hear the end of a piece that was playing. It finished, and she got out of car, locking and shutting the door. Then she realized that her new Honda was so quiet that she didn't hear the car was still running. She had to go inside concert hall (this was before cellphones) and call my brother to bring a spare key. She then started carrying an extra key in her purse. Except at least twice, she locked her keys AND purse in the car.

boredguy6060 likes this.

13. Guran

Guran Friend of Leo's

Mar 20, 2007
    Sweden
    I have an service like that, but I quickly realized that it would be of no use. There was no way they could fish the keys out of a box with lid on in the trunk. To get them to find my wife to get the other key and drive them there... Oh, I think I would still be there then.

14. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    I keep an extra car key at all times when out attatched to a belt loop and my belt secured by tying a shoe lace or cord, not a clip that can open. A micro hassle to avoid a bigger one.

nojazzhere and boredguy6060 like this.

15. Guran

Guran Friend of Leo's

Mar 20, 2007
    Sweden
    One day in March I had been out XC skiing in a big XC track network in the hills 30 minutes north of town. When I was finished and about to leave, there was a guy coming up to me asking if he could hitch a ride. "I lost my car keys. I have skied more than a 100k today, I've been around the entire network and I have been in my pocket many times. To top it, the keys are white, um, just forget it!", he said. He also said "But I have 'Volvo on call', so I can unlock and start it with the phone. It's just that I don't have any signal here". I gave him a ride, and he said "I got signal now, but it doesn't seem to work". Of course it didn't! The car had no signal! o_O

I drove him to a gas station where someone would deliver his spare keys and drive him back to his car.

16. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Michigan
    My Explorer has the keypad on the door, so as long as there is a charge on the battery and I remember the code I can get in....Never had to use it...yet.

DOH! I shouldn't have said that.

nojazzhere likes this.

17. Blrfl

Blrfl TDPRI Member

May 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    I got into a fight with my car once over that, because apparently it's smart enough to figure out whether the keys are inside or outside and where they are. My wife was doing an overnight stay in the hospital, so I took her purse (with keys) home but was going to make a stop on the way and put it in the trunk. Close the trunk lid, car beeps at me and pops the trunk open. Close the trunk, car beeps, trunk pops open again. Took me three tries to figure out what it was. Maybe it couldn't sense that I had my own keys outside the car.

--Mark

18. raito

raito Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nov 22, 2010
    Madison, WI
    Car keys. How quaint.

My current vehicle only requires that the fob be within some small distance of the car. It doesn't have a trunk, but that's not the point. Even if it did, I'd still have been able to unlock and enter it and start it because the fob would be close enough.

I feel like a caveman driving my wife's car. I have to use a physical key and turn on the headlights manually.

The fob itself, however, is very poorly designed. I've had to disable every button on it. And if the battery voltage slips a little, a bunch of 'safety' features I've never enabled start coming on. Come to think of it, it was probably the mal-designed buttons that were draining the battery in the first place. It just wasn't made to be carried in a pocket.

19. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 8, 2007
    Norfolk UK
    My VW auto locks with or with out keys after a few minutes if everything is shut even if people are in it and the keys on the seat .I had to call out my breakdown service to come and get the keys out once .He got a sort of pump up expander and opened the door a fraction and luckily managed to jiggle the key up the right way and push the open button ..I had lost my spare keys but a few weeks later I cleaned the car and there it was lost in the depths of the car despite me cleaning the car several times and both my wife and I searching thoroughly for the key .I also found a few quid in coins .The VW electronics drive me nuts .For instance my oil top up light is permanant ly on even though it has a full oil in the engine .Its actually the hood/bonnet lock micro switch which has gone .VW assume that if the oil light comes on you will open the hood to top up so provides a micro switch to engage in the circuit if you dont as a warning ..As the switch has gone wrong the oil light stays on .As my VW Golf is sweet fast well handling runner normally use for carting around small muddy dogs and the wife its a keeper as there is no point in using a brand new leather seated shiny new car .

20. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    At first I thought you were putting keys down, but after reading the post its obvious you were being ironic.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.