Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Clarence White Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Chicago Slim, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Tele-Afflicted

Oct 19, 2005
    Bowling Green, KY
    I don't know if anyone has posted the story of Marty Stuart's, B bender Tele, that belonged to Clarence White. The Byrds were one of the groups that got me interested in country music. Besides, I love a good guitar story.

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Only about a thousand times, but I agree, a good story IS a good story.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Crobbins, nojazzhere and Dan R like this.

3. SonsOfMoog

SonsOfMoog Tele-Meister

Jul 22, 2017
    US
    Has anyone seen Marty Stuart without a scarf? It's an interesting choice for a signature look.

4. John Owen

John Owen Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Jan 29, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    I'll never get tired of hearing that story.

5. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    So sad, and such gripping story. Thank you

6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Hides the “turkey neck”.
    Same reason (us) bald guys wear hats.
    No biggie, he’s still the coolest!

nojazzhere likes this.

7. Brokenpick

Brokenpick Tele-Afflicted

Oct 29, 2008
    Dixie
    (Not that this is in line with the intended direction of the guitar post, but)
    If I'm not mistaken, Mr. Stuart started sporting the scarf look LONG before turkey neck appearance would be likely... Like 10 years after his professional career was rolling... so .... lemme see... that woulda made him ... like... still a teenager?

brookdalebill likes this.

8. Crobbins

Crobbins Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Meiners Oaks CA.
    Here's a link to an article.

http://www.martystuart.com/zArt-VintageGuitar4-04.htm

Clarence"

The Granddaddy of Bender Guitars

This appeared in Vintage Guitar - April 2004
    [​IMG]
    Marty Stuart's well-known Bender guitar started life as a 1954 Fender Telecaster or Esquire and was the main electric axe of legendary country-rock pioneer Clarence White (The Kentucky Colonels, The Byrds). White and multi-instrumentalist Gene Parsons fashioned a steel guitar-inspired mechanism that raised the B string a whole step when downward pressure was applied on the strap, tweaking and modifying their invention until it was stable and consistent. A G string pull was added a short time later. White used the guitar almost exclusively until his untimely end in 1973; it's heard on many of his recordings with the Byrds, Muleskinner, and others. With White's death, the "Clarence White Tele" sat unused at his home in Kentucky until his widow, Suzy, contacted Marty Stuart.
    [​IMG]
    "The guitar really found me," recalls Stuart. "Roland White, Clarence's brother, got me my gig with Lester Flatt and I was friends with the family. The guitar already had a following of its own by that time -- I was always fascinated by it, lusted after it, and I'd even had a similar bender put in another guitar to try and duplicate the effect. I bought it from Suzy along with some clothes and some other things of Clarence's.

"I've never considered it my guitar, really. It's his, and now it kind of has a life of its own. The spring gets dry and squeaks, so I spray WD-40 on it now and then, but I've never cleaned it. All the dirt inside and behind the strings is the original dirt. We call it 'Clarence'."

The prototype of the Parsons/White StringBender, the unit in Stuart's guitar, is far heavier and complex than current production pieces. White and Parsons installed a favorite Strat-style pickup in the front position, and West Coast steel legend Red Rhodes re-wound the original Tele/Esquire pickup. A wooden "rim" was added to the back of the guitar to accommodate the protruding parts, effectively doubling the body thickness (the current P/W is more compact and is covered by a large metal plate on the guitar back). The "fingers" which pull the strings, Stuart says, are taken from an old Fender steel guitar.

Chicago Slim likes this.

9. mfromb

mfromb TDPRI Member

Apr 27, 2017
    Boston, MA
    Clicked through because my brain processed this as "Clearance" White Tele. Disappointment overcome after watching the vid clip/reading the article.

10. capt pearl

capt pearl Tele-Meister

Jul 8, 2003
    Just came across this again. Just as magical as I remembered. Thx!

11. Larry K. Williams

Larry K. Williams Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2003
    Athens, GA
    I have played that guitar a couple times. Truly magical. Though it is very awkward feeling to me due to the double thick body.

As good as it is, I don't feel like it is the crown jewel of Marty's collection. That status goes to Hank's D45!

12. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    I love how DIY that apparatus looks.

I wish people would say less abound the bender and more about the other elements, for it is the sweetest tele I've ever heard.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.