Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Clapton quits the Yardbirds

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Frank'n'censed, Mar 13, 2018.

1. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Does anyone outside of the guitar playing community even know who the Yardbirds were?

2. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Tele-Afflicted

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    If Clapton hadn't quit, you wouldn't have had Jimmy doing his business.....

bsman likes this.

3. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    My buddy is a music nutjob...started collecting 45’s after seeing The Beatles at Empire Stadium, on August 21, 1964. He has well over 4000 45’s alone, never mind the vintage vinyl...he definitely knows who the Yardbirds are

4. 5ofeight

5ofeight Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Oct 17, 2016
    Glasgow
    What is this hate you talk about, why would you want to label me that?.

24 track likes this.

5. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Sorry man, :confused: that wasn’t you personally, just quoting my initial generalization...”haters”, is a cliche I like to satirize...just wished you hadn’t smashed a perfectly good guitar

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    5ofeight and 24 track like this.

6. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    Seems like The Yardbirds did just fine without him, and Clapton did fine without The Yardbirds.

I suppose it's conceivable that if Clapton stayed with the band, Page would've stayed in the studio, and never formed Led Zeppelin. One life affects so many others...

41144 likes this.

7. 5ofeight

5ofeight Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Oct 17, 2016
    Glasgow
    Its a term I don't quite understand tbh.. Not to worry though kiddo, we haven't broken the world.

8. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    The Yardbirds had a bunch of hits... after Clapton left. And don't forget Antonioni's movie, 'Blow-Up'. with Beck & Page...

cabra velha, Modman68 and nojazzhere like this.

9. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Tele-Afflicted

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    That's funny, I was going to post that scene. Such a bizarre setting, but of course it is only a movie. I've seen more people dancing at an art opening. You'd think the audience was watching a funeral service.

Love Beck destroying his guitar because his Vox isn't working (what else is new!)

TigerG likes this.

10. 41144

41144 Tele-Meister

Sep 5, 2017
    West Midlands
    No, No,. PLEASE let us forget "Blow Up" . :lol:

Next topic. " How great was Barberella" . ;)

11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Huh?

The were part of the Nucleus of the bands that got me committed to the Invasion Music, which I linked up with the Beach Boys, the Rascals, the Byrds and the Buffalo Springfield.

I was the boy who bought the Kinks and Yardbirds singles first, and if I had more money, THEN I bought other people's records.

Just kids in school. Heck, I wasn't even a guitarist yet, when I first fell for them. Vocals, keyboards, drums, even winds, was what I thought I had to offer. And there were a lot of kids who were either watching what I was doing and aping it, or they were on the same wavelength as me. Sometimes the stuff was on the radio but often it wasn't.

Out of nowhere, the other day, when I was walking and I began singing this. I hadn't heard a recording of it in years, but I did listen to the link for a few moments before posting:

Yardbirds were a big deal among at least some American kids in some towns.

12. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I ask because that band always comes up in guitar player discussions, due to Page, Clapton, Beck... but I can't name one of their songs. I can name a bunch by the Beatles, Stones, etc.

13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Really.

They were my personal soundtrack, them and the Kinks, for a good long while until the Springfield formed, then they had to share a bit more.

"Mister, this song is just for you".

14. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

Feb 15, 2004
    Tell this Clapton just because he quit the group to not give up and keep
    on practicing!

awasson likes this.

15. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

May 11, 2007
    Toronto
    I liked those Box-office Frogs records. I think I still have the first on vinyl and the second on tape. Haven’t followed the more recent iterations under the Yardbirds banner.

Cheers,
    Geoff

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.