Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Clapton quits the Yardbirds

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Frank'n'censed, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    On this day, 1965, Eric Clapton quit The Yardbirds due to musical differences with the other band members. Clapton wanted to continue in a blues type vein, while the rest of the band preferred the more commercial style of their first hit, 'For Your Love'.

2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Gotta say, at the time I preferred the Yardbirds' more "pop" direction. As much as I love Clapton, it was a few years before I came to appreciate the Mayall/Clapton stuff. I still like all versions of the Yardbirds. I think this just demonstrates that nearly ALL changes in life turn out well for all involved.

Chicago Matt and Frank'n'censed like this.
  3. Mr.Ike

Mr.Ike Tele-Meister

Sep 18, 2011
    Albany,NY
    I’m not sure, but I kind of heard he did alright after that split.

4. Frank'n'censed

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Even the haters, can’t deny his resume...the hard evidence is in that body of work. Despite what many of think of the Rock & Roll HOF, the man’s the only individual in there 3 times...once as a solo artist and separately as a member of the Yardbirds and of Cream!!!

5. 41144

41144 Tele-Holic

Sep 5, 2017
    West Midlands
    Where did 53 years go?

dan1952, rad1 and 24 track like this.
  6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Should be for Blindfaith as well!!!!!

7. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    53 years ago , is so yesterday!

41144 likes this.
  8. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Woah.....so wild how time flies. Love me some old school Clapton. Cream was amazing so I think he made a good choice.

awasson, 41144 and Chicago Matt like this.
  9. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    Its hard not to repect the body of work all of those Yardbird guys contributed to music , right up to "BOX OF FROGS" the yardbirds with Jeff Beck and or Rory Gallagher, insane amount of talent that spawn off of that band!

SnidelyWhiplash and 41144 like this.
  10. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Wow. I remember this actually happening. I was really into the Yardbirds, so this was shocking. I think Clapton had it right and the Yardbirds should have followed his direction, but I get what happened and we would not have Cream if he didn't leave, so it was a good move ... all things considered.

11. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin
    Clapton quits the Yardbirds??? :eek::confused::cry: Why O why?
    what are we supposed to do now?

12. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2007
    Cambridge, England
    Very good. Very good indeed...

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  13. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2017
    Suburban PDX, OR
    Of all their 'hit' singles.. For Your Love, Heart Full of Soul and Over Under Sideways Down.. there is a common thread running through them.. Jeff Beck!
    Although as I have heard, the guitar in For Your Love was an afterthought and cover for the l harpsichord in the original studio recording -- a harpsichord in a pop tune??? How cool is that??
    I like Clapton but love Beck's playing-- he is more original and much more versatile.

Sorry. Did not mean to be a thread crasher.

14. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Tele-Afflicted

Apr 26, 2015
    North Carolina
    The greatest thing to ever come out of the Yardbyrds was the formation of Led Zeppelin, also known as The New Yardbyrds.

It's actually really interesting when you just think about the way it happened.

15. PARCO

PARCO Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2008
    VA
    I was a kid when I first heard about Clapton leaving the Yardbirds and it was long after it actually happened. I was hard for me to understand (at that age) how someone could leave a band when they have a hit single. Now I completely understand and I applaud Clapton's integrity. Besides none of the Yardbirds were on Clapton's level when it came to playing the blues.

41144 likes this.
  16. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2003
    Santa Clara
    Clapton? No talent. Poor kid'll never make it in this business...

17. t guitar floyd

t guitar floyd Tele-Holic

Feb 4, 2016
    sw US
    Lol! Yardbirds and the Byrds. I saw what you did there. :D :cool:

18. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2014
    Bucks Co. PA
    ... It was so half a century ago ... bands and the musicians in them come and go.
    I liked the Yardbirds ... I didn't really care about who the players were.
    The guitar players could have been anybody .... I am more into the band(s) as unit.
    I'm listening to and playing a lot more Clapton stuff .... mainly because you can't gig playing Soft Machine, Caravan or any of the the stuff that used to be cutting edge that I still like.
    I play a lot of blues stuff and it bores me to death .... I like the R&B stuff better.
    All in all I'd rather be playing Lee Morgan or Joe Henderson stuff.
    I digress ... The Yardbirds were a good band. Once again it was 50+ years ago. I mean Bix Biderbeck went solo too.

19. 5ofeight

5ofeight Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Oct 17, 2016
    Glasgow
    I was 7 and it had no impact on my life then, pretty much the same as it has no impact on my life now either..I think I may be just aimlessly wandering through life till it hits a conclusion.

Larmo63 likes this.
  20. Frank'n'censed

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    “Even the haters, can’t deny his resume...the hard evidence is in that body of work.”

41144 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.