Clapton does Prince

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Teleterr, May 14, 2019.

1. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

He and Steve Winwood performed Them Changes not long after Buddy Miles died....not the greatest version of that song ever, but a worthy tribute to the passing of a fellow musician.

Teleterr likes this.
  2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Clapton was once asked what it was like to be the greatest rock guitarist in the world. Clapton replied something along this line...I don’t know...why don’t you ask Prince?
    That solo in ‘While My Guitar Gently Weeps’ is for my ears the best for that song I have heard. Prince was a talented being.

3. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, it was... and yes, he was.

Teleterr likes this.
  4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Frankly, Clapton isn't worthy to play that song

5. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Really? Greatest rock guitarist in the world? Why would anyone even have the audacity to ask such a subjective question?

Now, if he asked, "What is it like to be one of the greatest rock guitarists in the world", then I'd be more okay with it.

Don't get me wrong; I like Clapton, but there are sooo many great guitarists out there, who play sooo many different styles of rock/progressive music.

For goodness' sake, stop judging and just enjoy the music...

big jimmy, Teleterr, Mad Kiwi and 2 others like this.
  6. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

I think Wally’s point was that Clapton answered a kind of dumb question in a gracious and deferential way, and that he chose to elevate another artist above himself. Clapton’s answer reflects well both on himself and Prince, IMO. Here’s another guitar hero answering that same dumb question in a great way.

7. Jim622

Jim622 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Its fine with me. I'm sure many would disapprove of me doing their songs. To bad.

Teleterr likes this.
  8. SChoirFan

SChoirFan Tele-Meister

Wow! Somebody had great seats!

Teleterr likes this.
  9. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

It is a difference if he plays it as a tribute on a live gig or if he'd been doing a cover on a record.
    The latter being rather boring, but it is nothing but respect for a great artist to play a song in a set.
    True for Purple Rain by Prince as well as Que Sera by Doris Day, I see this as hommage and nothing else and comments like "boring" or "not matching the original" are a bit.....useless nitpicking to me.

Jim622, Teleterr and Hatfield92 like this.
  10. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Supposedly it was done while Buddy was dying and someone had it playing for him in the hospital.

Jim622 and nojazzhere like this.
  11. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

I would assume both songs were learned in a short period to play that night. On another cell phone video the other guitar takes a solo as well while Eric plays rythme.
    I do think Erics solo is quite good, hes doing lots of things w phrasing and tempo. He d be much better w out that godawful hook up w way too much compression. He s had it for 15 years or so . In the early years he would strugle w getting any kind of solo dynamics, but has since learned. I d like to have a hook up like that for the sake of my fingers , but I just love my hyper-dynamic ones sound too much.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    nojazzhere likes this.
  12. nojazzhere

No disrespect, Wally, but that idea that a great guitarist is asked what it's like being the "greatest guitarist" has become somewhat apocryphal......the first time I heard it was Hendrix being asked that question, and his reply was, "I don't know....you'll have to ask Terry Kath".....I don't know who was first, and I don't really care. I think it's meant to demonstrate how great musicians don't really acknowledge being "the best", and (maybe?) sincerely don't believe ANYONE is the "BEST". At any rate, I like the "stories".....and I know one decided fact.....no one's gonna ask ME that question.;)

Wally and Teleterr like this.
  13. nojazzhere

According to this video, Clapton says he and Steve decided to learn Them Changes, and THEN two days later heard Buddy had died. Maybe I heard wrong?

Teleterr likes this.
  14. Wally

And so it is a lie.
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/eric-clapton-quote-about-prince/

My apologies. I, too, am not in the habit of playing the ‘greatest guitarist’ game. I hold that there are many great players. I also hold....as does Clapton, Gilmour, Page and others that Jeff Beck is unlike anyone else and does things no one else does. And....Prince was one big time multi-instrumental musician. That much is true.

Teleterr and nojazzhere like this.
  15. Wally

I wasn’t judging. As t turns out, I was relating a lie just to show that most guitarists don’t like to even hear such questions.

Teleterr and nojazzhere like this.
  16. nojazzhere

Please don't apologize, Wally.....I LOVE these stories regardless of truth or fiction, 'cause they serve to "humanize" the guitarists we admire.....and we all (most of us, anyway) like to think if we were that good, we'd have the humility to praise someone else as "better".
    If someone WERE to ask me that question, I would probably answer, not Clapton, not Phil Keaggy, not Prince, or many other famous guitar greats.....but Bill Hamm. He's a local legend in Ft Worth, who I've heard play everything from Clapton to Hendrix to "you-name-it", as well or better than the originals. Why isn't he better known? Who knows? Maybe he just doesn't have that fire in his belly that's required to drive a musician to want to achieve that kind of stardom? ;)

Teleterr likes this.
  17. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

The interwebs is no help. It was in an interview with whoever played it live as Buddy lay dying(theres a song lyric perfect for a Dylan song) but they went into detail about doing it. Maybe not Eric and Steve.

18. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

The day before Buddy died, he heard Steve Winwood and Eric Clapton playing "Them Changes" at Madison Square Garden through his cell phone. "Them Changes" is now part of Clapton's set on tour as a tribute to Buddy

From Wikipedia, Buddy Miles. I phrased it wrong in the 1st search. Google AI still aint very I .

19. nojazzhere

Curious.....why did Clapton say in this interview they talked about doing it, and then found out Buddy had died TWO DAYS EARLIER?

Teleterr likes this.
  20. ppg677

ppg677 Tele-Meister

I'm a far bigger fan of Clapton than I am of Adam Levine, but the latter's cover of Purple Rain was far better:

Solo starts at 3:40. He shreds it. And again shreds at 5:40 and 6:00 mark.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.