Church music rant: Freakin' Keyboards...

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by GoldieLocks, Apr 29, 2019.

1. GoldieLocks

GoldieLocks Tele-Afflicted

I love lots of different keyboards... so that's never the problem. John Lord, Billy Payne, and Rick Wakeman are some of my favorite musicians of all time. But...

I visited a church yesterday. There was 6 good musicians on stage ----- And they were all standing their while the programmed keyboards played a long intro to a song. I believe this happened twice. Layered keyboards with synthy tones blurting out while the rest of the band just stood by and waited... YAWNNNNN~

It was like watching Van Halen do "Jump" with all the keyboards programmed. NO keyboardists on stage. (hint: just have a roadie do it for 3 minutes LIVE)

But now i'm thinking - I have a little looper pedal that could probably do 6 guitar tracks... :eek:

islander and mRtINY like this.
  2. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Holic

Wow...I'm surprised too, with Ableton and keyboard tracks being available.
    Where they trying to do a 1980's synth jam?
    Was a Fender Rhodes being used? LOL

GoldieLocks likes this.
  3. GoldieLocks

My complaint was: There were 6 musicians on stage. 5 doing NOTHING! Actually, even the keyboard guy was doing nothing... just waiting.

Maybe, just maybe - disperse those keyboard tracks to all those OTHER instruments... Work with what you currently have ATTENDING. All those hard working volunteers who showed up to Play and Worship.

Ascension and hotraman like this.
  4. FluffyDog6

FluffyDog6 Tele-Meister

Tracks are getting out of hand lately.

Might as well hand out tambourines and cowbells to the live musicians.

Ascension, hotraman and beatnik like this.
  5. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Holic

I've noticed this with certain famous worship bands. Six to seven singers on stage, with mics. But I can't hear what they are singing. Is this for looks?

Regarding musicians.. a lot of church worship are using backing tracks, that have a pretty authentic sounding electric guitar tracks. Problem is, the next generation is not learning how to play their instruments. I think I need to stop complaining: this means more students for my music lesson schedule.

GoldieLocks likes this.
  6. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Afflicted

Wow welcome to my NIGHTMARE!!
    Did this event few weeks ago 4 keyboard players me on guitar and a drummer not track ONE!!

GoldieLocks likes this.
  7. scooteraz

scooteraz Tele-Afflicted

Hmmm, I don’t think either band I play in has used a track for anything. We may have to make music ours, and not sound very much like the sound tracks on the radio, but we’re live.

LOL, there have been moments when I wished we weren’t.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

I think it is. I frequently haven't been able to hear any of the four "back up" singers at a few churches I've visited, just the the Mr. and Ms. leading. Same with the electric guitar, btw: I USUALLY only hear it when it's the only instrument playing, usually on the tail out.

hotraman and soundchaser59 like this.
  9. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Holic

No offense but there's no way I could sit thru that. It's a good thing they serve coffee out in the lobby. Hey, at least the guitar sounded really good!

Why did they have four keyboards? That's worse than having three guitars! I remember a couple years back we had a guy show up with 4 keyboards, etc.....I wanted to give him a sequin cape cuz he looked like Rick Wakeman standing inside his keyboard kastle. They played 4 or 5 songs and I think the guy played maybe 2 or 3 chords and 4 or 5 single notes the entire time.

I feel like if we can't do the songs justice with one of each instrument, with one rhythm guitar and one lead guitar, then we are doing something wrong. We had three guitars on stage once, and only once, and it was not at all a good thing. If the WL can't arrange like Lynyrd Skynyrd then there is never any excuse to have more than two guitars on stage......imo.

10. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Holic

Our crew is so paranoid about getting complaints from the "senior" members that they won't turn the house up above 80db. And they already have a plexi shield around the drums and in-ears for the band. The result is the WL voice and guitar is loud and clear in the house system, while everything else is obviously being heard from the stage and not in the FOH speakers. It is so quiet that the congregation won't sing out loud. The house system is the Ferarri and the band is the little old lady going to the store for milk on Sundays. They paid a pro consultant and installer to engineer this system for this sanctuary, and they aren't even using a fifth of what it's capable of doing. They get complaints from the seniors who have their hearing aids turned up, so they keep telling the sound guys it's too loud, it's too loud. Then they wonder why there aren't any people under 40 coming to services.

JuneauMike, mRtINY and hotraman like this.
  11. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

You're lucky. Our sound "engineers" always make sure all 4 or 5 or 6 vocalists on stage are very clearly hearable. The result is that no matter the instrumentation or arrangement, every song sounds like a 70's church song. I quit playing because I can't stand that sound. I've even started coming to church after the worship so I don't have to be subjected to the cheesy vocal harmony versions of perfectly good Crowder songs or Brewster songs etc. Much like your experience, the guitars are almost always buried, but in fairness, so are all the other instruments, except the acoustic drums which the sound guys can do nothing with.

soundchaser59 and mRtINY like this.
  12. preactor

preactor Tele-Meister

Musicians are on the way out and programers on the way in!;)

soundchaser59 likes this.
  13. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Our church used to be like that briefly. As it turned out it was one senior citizen who didn't think to turn her hearing aid down before the music started (pastoral staff is often very very careful not to give the musicians too much specific information beyond "we've had complaints ...") It pays to interrogate them to try to get to a solution. In this case it was one single complainer and the solution was in her hands all along.

soundchaser59 and mRtINY like this.
  14. JohnnyDev

JohnnyDev TDPRI Member

Hehe ... been playing guitar in church for 5 years now and a few months ago started a concerted attempt to learn how to play simple auxiliary keyboard.
    Played kb in church today for the 2nd time ever & actually managed to sing as well (been doing vocals @ church since ‘98, so at least I’ve reached my potential there, I think)
    It went quite well - I was playing keys as auxiliary (i.e. pads, etc) to the main keyboard player & we also had drums and the WL was on acoustic guitar.
    All about finding the place in the mix where you can make a tasteful contribution, I think.

Anyone else on here play both guitar & keys ?

JohnnyDev

15. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Afflicted

Simple worship leaders singers or players from different Churches all over the area that agreed to participate and 4 happened to play keys. Main purpose of the meeting was to bring folk together for a worship event and tear down some walls.
    Same thing with this one a few weeks later.
    Played with these folk

Right after this group

Jhengsman likes this.
  16. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I laughed at the hard working volunteers comment. I mentioned to my band the other day that they should be spending around two hours learning and getting ready for Thursday's rehearsal practice and then probably around two hours between Thursday night's rehearsal and Sunday morning's run through practicing the songs. You would have thought I was GOD asking Abraham to sacrifice Issac when I was asking for a few hours of prep times before we do a run through.

17. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

Get Rick Wakeman to play at your church then ask him to turn down!

Lol.

GoldieLocks likes this.
  18. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

BUT... when you get to play with a really good keyboard player who thinks like part of a team it's GREAT!

I suggest they all should go listen to some Chuck Leavell, Benmont Tench, Roy Bittan, and Booker T! Amen?

GoldieLocks likes this.
  19. GoldieLocks

Chuck Leavell keeps refusing requests to come to my church?!?!*^&^*. Something "Blah blah blah Rolling Stones". WHat a Noob. I question his commitment to good music. :D

mRtINY, ravindave_3600 and JohnnyDev like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.