Chunky or old skool LED bezels?

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by Paul-T, May 17, 2019 at 1:06 PM.

1. Paul-T

Paul-T Tele-Meister

I'm making a combined Surfybear trem and reverb, in a Fender-style box.

I'm using some aluminum sheets I've found for the chassis, which restricts space on the control panel to around 10 inches/ 250mm. This means, for ergonomic purposes, I don't have space for a Fender-style jewel light.

Hence, what's a good, vintage-ish alternative that's less bulky? I can see 5mm LEDs on electronics sites with chrome bezels that look promising... is there anything better out there?

2. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

10mm LED bezels for 10mm LEDs, of course.

3. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

4. Paul-T

Paul-T Tele-Meister

Last edited: May 18, 2019 at 11:36 AM
  5. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Holic

Paul-T and BorderRadio like this.
  6. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

These look great, I’d try them on my Surfy Bear build (version 2.0) if the shipping didn’t take so long. Remember, you don’t need 9v, you’ll want the 12V version. These things look bright too, not sure I’d want my pedal board also being a flashlight :)

Paul-T likes this.
  7. Paul-T

Paul-T Tele-Meister

@zippofan those look great. Are there bezels etc that fit them?

@BorderRadio I bunged them an extra $2 and asked for airmail, they said ok. I'll report back. Yes i got the 12v. Mine would be on a 6G15-style enclosure so wouldn't be too distracting. I hope.

NB, I was advised by someone at surf101 that the key word is dash indicator, those tend to bring up chunkier designs on eBay etc.

Last edited: May 18, 2019 at 11:16 AM
    BorderRadio likes this.
  8. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Holic

I use the flush mounted clear Fresnel lenses for 3mm LEDs since I discovered them on the PedalPCB site. I just bought 20 of the same kind from Mouser. on my last order.

The 3mm flush mount LED lenses fit in a 11/64" hole, I haven't tried the raised type since my LEDs are mounted near my stomp switches.

PedalPCB carries a few types, Mouser carries more, Amazon has some types too. I haven't checked Arrow or DigiKey yet. https://www.pedalpcb.com/product-category/accessories/

Paul-T likes this.
  9. Paul-T

Paul-T Tele-Meister

How do they fit? Does the LED simply clip into them or is there some kind of holder?

10. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Holic

The LED just goes into the open end, the back of the lens has clips to hold it in the enclosure/panel. I almost always mount LEDs directly to the underlying circuit board, so if there isn't any support for the leads a dab of silicone should hold them just in case.
    There are some that have rings but I haven't used those yet.

Paul-T likes this.
  11. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Meister

Love my switches has some with a clr built in. That way they can be used with 9v

Paul-T likes this.
  12. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Holic

I've been thinking of adding a couple of those premounted/wired LEDs to my next BLMS order. They have Lumbergs for a nice price and I need to stock up on them, running low :D I don't think I've seen pink LEDs anywhere else! For a buck apiece it's hard to go wrong.

Paul-T likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.