Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Chrome Red MIM Standard Telecaster?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by xFallenx, May 13, 2015.

1. xFallenx

xFallenx Friend of Leo's

Dec 15, 2012
    South Jersey
    Ok so I called Fender yesterday with a serial number to a 2007/2008 MIM Standard Telecaster that I thought was CAR. The guy on the phone told me it was actually Chrome Red. So I double checked the serial number and called again today to get a second Fender Rep on the phone to verify this. He also confirmed it to be Chrome Red. Is this an error in Fenders system or was there really a Chrome Red offered during that time period? :confused:

2. Kennedycaster

Kennedycaster Tele-Afflicted

Apr 5, 2009
    Mesa, AZ
    I had one in chrome red. It's very close to CAR. Maybe a little brighter. I do remember "Chrome Red" being listed as a color option on the Fender website around 2006 or so.

Bob

3. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    It's listed in both my 2005 and 2006 Frontline catalogs. Just 2006 for the MIM Standard though. Can't say about 2007/2008 as I don't have those catalogs. It's quite a bit brighter than CAR, at least judging from Fender's color chart. Somewhere between CAR and Hot Rod Red.

[​IMG]

Candy Apple Red

[​IMG]

Chrome Red

[​IMG]

Hot Rod Red

Piggy Stu likes this.

4. sjtalon

sjtalon Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yup, (325) Chrome Red is listed in the upgrade specs of 1/2006. Not there in 11/2008 upgrade (tinted neck, transition logo, ect.,.) though.

5. Corgitodd

Corgitodd Tele-Meister

Mar 1, 2015
    Cleveland
    I think CAR has gold or sometimes silver undercoat. Maybe chrome red has chrome undercoat? Regardless, chrome red is a brighter, almost fire engine red, maybe similar to Torino red vs Dakota red.

6. Telemarkman

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    I don't know about Chrome Red, but CAR has a metallic undercoat. It used to be either gold or silver, but the last centuries it has been silver exclusively AFAIK. CAR with a gold undercoat had a tendency to turn brownish as the finish yellowed with age.

I couldn't say for sure, but it wouldn't surprise me if Muddy's Tele had a gold undercoat. And I mean the REAL one.

[​IMG]

Piggy Stu likes this.

7. Corgitodd

Corgitodd Tele-Meister

Mar 1, 2015
    Cleveland
    Regardless of color, does your Am standard bridge pickup have a baseplate?

8. xFallenx

xFallenx Friend of Leo's

Dec 15, 2012
    South Jersey
    Thanks for the replies all. I've had a 2004 American Series Telecaster in Chrome Red before I just didn't know it existed on the Mexican Standard lineup at any given point. I didn't hear back from the seller yet but we'll see!

9. tery

tery Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    If Fender said it Twice it must be true ? :neutral:

Piggy Stu likes this.

10. Telemarkman

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    Not necessarily because two Fender reps said so, but if a color is listed in their Frontline catalog, it's usually available, yes!:rolleyes:

11. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

Dec 19, 2011
    Merseyside UK
    Chrome Red is listed as a Standard Tele color in the 2007 catalog

12. sjtalon

If it does, it was added, or it's not a stock pup. Am standard/series never had one.

13. Tele Sevalas

Tele Sevalas TDPRI Member

Nov 20, 2017
    Ireland
    Hi, I’m new here! I just bought one. It’s an 07 MIM. What caught my eye is that it’s definitely not CAR. I don’t have it yet though!

Attached Files:

14. horax

horax Tele-Meister

Jul 1, 2011
    colorado springs
    From the books I've read, Muddy's did have a metallic gold undercoat.

DUDE! GREAT first post! Welcome!
    That looks KILLER! We want pix when you ahve it in your possession!

15. esetter

esetter Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sep 1, 2011
    MI
    So you called Fender twice with the same question, talked to two different people who gave you the same answer and you still don't believe them? Hmmmmm...what am I missing?

16. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Both reps looked it up on the same system.

tery likes this.

17. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Meister

Jul 25, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    It isn't the greatest photo, but here's a side by side comparison of the two colours. On the left is a 2002 American Series Tele in Chrome Red (my #1!) and on the right is a 2012 Classic Series '60s Tele in CAR.

Chrome Red vs CAR.JPG

18. sjtalon

It's been 2 1/2 years so he could start over, call back and see what the deal is now :lol:

esetter and teletimetx like this.

19. Tele Sevalas

Tele Sevalas TDPRI Member

Nov 20, 2017
    Ireland
    The

After a long wait, a few days as the courier was busy and I thought I’d have it in a Friday, no joy. I had to take a tranquilizer for the weekend, just kidding, then on Monday it still hadn’t arrived! Tears of pain and Tele lust tearing me apart by now but on the Tuesday, ‘tah-da’ it arrived. I was grinning like a mofo. The strings and neck were pretty grimy, never cleaned in years it seamed, untouchable really. I chopped them off in a flash and stripped it down. I cleaned the neck and polished the tarnished frets. Then polished the body. Chrome red is something else. I’m not really a metallic guy but I absolutely love it. There are no dings or scratches on the body. It’s sounds hot and loud too. A lot of guys change out the pups but I like the sound and amazing punch I get through my Boss CS-1 comp into my Fender Super 210. I strung it with Rotosound .10s for a change instead of D’Addarios ir EB slinkies. I can’t stop staring at it with its shine chrome hardware and amazing metallic red finish. I’m so glad I pulled the trigger on this baby. By the way, I made a video of the strip down, clean and set up. It will be on YouTube soon at 1969atam.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017 at 5:35 AM

20. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Holic

May 6, 2012
    England
    some better pics would be good!

Piggy Stu likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.