Chris Shiflett Tele Deluxe...minus the “E”.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by C_Bulldog, Jun 24, 2019.

1. C_Bulldog

C_Bulldog NEW MEMBER!

Long time lurker, first time poster.
    After 20 years I’ve finally embraced my inner Tele player.

After purchasing an older American Standard Tele, I recently fell in love with a Chris Shiflett signature Tele Deluxe at the local GC. Not being a stickler for looks and hoping to save a few bucks, I found one in “Excellent Condition” for a decent price online and pulled the trigger.

It arrived yesterday and I was finally able to unpack it today. I wouldn’t exactly call it “excellent,” but it’s in pretty good shape. With the exception of the “E” missing from Deluxe.
    The finish is smooth and there are no visible scratch marks.

Has anyone seen this before? Is this actually a factory second?

Oh, and the serial number checks out.

There’s a couple other issues that make me question whether or not to keep this guitar, just thought I’d check and see what others had to say about this. Thanks everyone, good to be here!

Attached Files:

2. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

I'd be more concerned with how it played. If the missing 'E' bothers you then by all means return it. Or if it's a good player you may be able to get a few dollars back from GC for the missing 'E' vs GC taking the return.

Either way good luck!

3. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Fender doesn't really do "seconds" - as in marking them a second and selling it at a reduced price as Gibson has done in the past (where the guitar was actually stamped "Second" on the back of the headstock). It was probably a goof at the factory where someone damaged a decal, trimmed the damaged E off and went on their way.

If it has other issues then definitely send it back.

4. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Afflicted

I would think you would want to keep it. It has a unique characteristic about it which I know most guitarists dig.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.