Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Chris Scruggs As New Bassist for "The Fabulous Superlatives"!

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by tonytrout, Mar 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

Mar 19, 2003
    Brasstown/Murphy, NC
    Read this the other day on a Marty Stuart FB group. Paul has left to tour with his family and Chris is the FS's new new bassist. Actually, he's apparently been gone for a little while already...I just didn't find out until the other day. :(

I'm not quite sure I'll ever warm to the idea of Chris as the new guy. That doesn't mean that I won't stop being a fan of Marty or the band...it's just that Chris doesn't seem to "fit in" as a Fabulous Superlative"......

I hate to see "Apostle" Paul leave. I always loved that seemingly endless smile of his and his friendliness - and I loved the songs he would sometimes sing on the television show with my favorite being, "One Dime @ A Time"

2. bigbean

bigbean Tele-Afflicted

Feb 6, 2013
    Hartville OH
    Arab saying: "The dogs bark but the caravan moves on."

Woof!

Attached Files:

3. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    The West
    Always loved watching him play. Swore he was always on something, or just high on life!

4. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Now that's a job I would love to have had and they still could have used the name "Apostle" Paul. ;)

Must have missed the email inviting me to audition. :(

5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Paul was really too good to be a side man anyway, but I sure hate to see him go. I hope his new deal showcases him more. I'm not sure Marty made a good move with Chris. I suspicioned he would eventually edge his way into the show, he's been trying for a long time. I don't think Kenny much likes him, I could be wrong, but I think I've seen Kenny giving him the stink eye before. I think Chris would really like to have Kenny's job, but I don't think he has the credentials.

6. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

Mar 19, 2003
    Brasstown/Murphy, NC
    I don't think Kenny likes him, either, but I may be wrong. Like you, I don't think this is a smart move on Marty's part no matter if Chris is in the Scruggs family tree. It'll be interesting to see/hear the band with Chris playing bass.

FWIW: Paul left Marty to tour with his family, "The Martin Family Circus."

7. Mightyaxeman

Mightyaxeman Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    How could you tell. Every look Kenny has looks like stink eye. Chris is a very accomplished player and Marty seems to like him well enough. I think he'll do fine.

8. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 21, 2006
    Vienna, Austria
    If Cousin Kenny didn't like Chris, why would he be playing in his band then:

Also, putting him on bass in a backing band is a waste of talent, Chris would deserve his own TV show...

9. Ben Jammin'

Ben Jammin' Tele-Meister

Feb 15, 2004
    Out in the Woods
    Chris is plenty capable of following in Paul's footsteps.

He is a very accomplished and talented musician.

And Marty knows what he is doing.

Best of luck to Paul as he pursues a new direction with his wonderfully talented family.

(If you have never seen them perform, you have really missed a treat).

10. Itwang

Itwang Tele-Meister

Apr 4, 2011
    Oregon
    Pretty sure that Chris and Cuz are old buddies. Plus Chris can play anything and sing anything. He's gonna work out just fine I reckon.........

11. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Some guys just ain't smiley.
    Kenny ain't, and I ain't either.
    Kenny is probably just thinking about what he's doing.
    MS is a world class musician, and he surrounds himself with the best.
    Mr. Scruggs will be a great fit.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015

12. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

I would like to wish Paul and the Martin Family Circus all the best...

One look at that beautiful family and I see where Paul's smile comes from...

As far as Chris Scruggs, I think that there are a lot of family ties with him and Paul, maybe more/others...

KV has the best poker face in the industry... Sorry Bill even better than yours...

13. cowboytwang

cowboytwang Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 28, 2003
    Sonoran Desert
    I was going to say the same.. Every time I see Chris playing somewhere, Kenny is in his band, and every time I see Kenny out playing he has Chris in his band.
    Really wish I could find players that didn't like each other like that!!

14. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

this is among the weirdest threads I've read in awhile....

projection is a powerful thing.

15. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Did you just give Alvin the stink eye?:D

16. bigbean

bigbean Tele-Afflicted

Feb 6, 2013
    Hartville OH
    I told Mama bout this and she said "NO more stink eye talk round here or there is gonna be some sorry posters!".

She seemed serious. Better stop it before she checks back.

17. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I hope you guys are right, and that Chris will fit in. I'd hate to see the tightest band in Country Music go down the tubes. It ain't gonna be the same though, I hope it will be better, but I don't think there's much chance it will. I stand by my stinkeye remarks. We'll see, Kenny don't give out with many smiles. (but he can on occasion)

Kenny definitely dropped the temperature on Tommy Emmanuel, and gave him some STINKEYE to boot! Kenny don't showboat, Chris LIKES to showboat. Not good for the show. When Marty figures it all out, (causes Marty is THE man in CHARGE of showboatin') there might only be him and Handsome Harry left.

They're in re-runs here so I guess it'll be a spell before we see. BTW, I don't much like Chris's style, and would give him some STINKEYE myself if I had the chance. :D:cool:

18. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

I don't care if it rains or freezes,
    STINKEYE looks but never sees us. . .

Wonder what Leroy thinks about all this?

19. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Thanks for posting that. They're probably fun to watch. All this sounds to me like Paul Martin wanted to spend more time with his family--his eldest son was manning the merch table last time I went to a Marty Stuart concert--and The Fabulous Superlatives have a tough road schedule. Power to him.

A band needs a bass player. . . .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.