Chords for "Messiah Will Come Again"?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Telarkaster, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Telarkaster

Telarkaster Friend of Leo's

I was wondering if anyone here knows what the backing chords are to Roy Buchanan's "The Messiah Will Come Again".

I know enough of the solo to fake it, but I'd like to play it with a band and we would need the chords. I believe it's in Am...

If you know the chords to the spoken intro that would be cool too, but if I can get the chord sequence to the solo that would be great!

Thanks in advance!

2. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I haven't heard it for a long time, but I'm pretty sure it's just a I,IV,V, but it sort of starts on the IV chord...right after to stop/rest.
    So it's sort of a IV, I, V.

3. Telarkaster

Thanks Charlie, I'll try that out. I was under the impression there were 4 different chords though, but then again my hearing isn't so good.

4. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Just had a quick peek on YouTube.

//// - //// - //// - //// - //// - //// - ////-////
    Am -- G - - F - - F - - B7 -- B7 - - E - -E7 repeat

Sorry for my method of notation, I don't know how to do it any other way on the computer.:lol:

Edit: fixed the Gm chord to a G in the second bar as pointed out by Wally below.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
    h2odog likes this.
  5. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I hear the G chord as a major....listen to it carefully.

6. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

You're right. I knew it was major as well but typed it as minor. I'll fix it.:lol:

7. Telarkaster

Awesome guys! I don't have a guitar handy right now and I'm stepping out to take the kids skating but I'll copy this down and try it when get back.

Thanks again!

8. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Good thing you didn't listen to me!!
    It's been years...I'll have to give it a listen.

9. Telarkaster

So I tried it and realized that I have to learn the solo again so I can figure out where I am! So much for faking it.

But the chords sound good so far, I just have to get the timing right so that it goes with the melodic solo.

Charlie, I have to listen to it again too! Thanks Boneyguy and Wally, that was really nice of you, much appreciated!

10. MarkJM

MarkJM NEW MEMBER!

Hi, you picked a hell of hard piece to play!! I was lucky enough to see Roy Buchanan twice about 18 months before he died. Man, he was something else (best guitar tone I've ever heard). Those chords are spot on - best of luck on the song. I tried to play it live years ago - I'm afraid my technical skills just ain't good enough. I do Sweet Dreams with my current band, as a sort of intro to another song. None of his stuff is easy to play though. All those subtle bends and volume rolls - very cool.

11. Mike Bruce

Mike Bruce Friend of Leo's

12. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I don't have the record on me, so I'm going by memory for the melody, and using the chords boneyguy posted. This seems to me more like it must be in Em, (or G?) not Am.

I say that (realizing I have gaping areas of ignorance) because the melody comes more easily from the G/Em scale patterns I know, and not from the C/Am ones. ?

My kitchen version will probably never remind anyone of Roy Buchanan in any way, but that's a pretty piece of music!

13. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nah, it's in Am. Just transpose your Em/G scales to Am/C. The notes are the same, relatively, no matter what key you put it in.

14. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have a backing track of this tune. I don't know where it came from, but it was the internet somewhere. It has slight differences, such as going to an E7#5 and the end of the phrase. You can probably find it too.

15. snakestrecher$

snakestrecher$ Tele-Meister

Man I was in the middle of learning a new tune and now y'all got me started on this one! Thanks for sharing the chords

http://youtu.be/r2Uk1Dk4E5s

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.