Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Choosing a Fender '68 Custom: Deluxe....or, Vibrolux?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by E5RSY, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    The CVR is the buy....imho and for my purposes. There are changes to be made, perhaps....but those changes make it a better amp and more versatile than either of the others. The quality of build is identical in all three. ifmthey have had it that long and IF they made that $500 offer with no encouragement from you, you might get it for $450.
    Things to do....install a NFB loop with an adjustment pot. Install a bias pot in the back panel....there is already a hole in the chassis on the left side of the back of the chassis. That hole is hiding under the back panel there....put a hole through that thin black panel and ...voila....quick access biasing. I leave the reverb on both channels....I don't believe that that is a noise problem. The lack of a NFB loop is what makes the amp noisy, imho.

t guitar floyd likes this.

2. John E

John E Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Connecticut
    Sounds to me like that has "uncomplicated" the choice. $500 bucks? In good shape that would be the decider for me. That's a killer amp (as are they all) and that's cheap. Sounds like it would more closely fit what you are looking for too.

E5RSY likes this.

3. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    1. Ballpark, what do you estimate the tab would be for getting all that done?

2. Also, I need to be educated on how to set the NFB, were it to be added. How does one decide where to set it? Is it something I set and rarely change? Or is it tweaked regularly like any other adjustment?

Thanks,
    Scott

4. Hold off if you pick up the CVR with any mod's. I am in the same place you are E5RSY. I have a BFSR for larger gigs (hardly ever use it these days though, even though it sounds fantastic at any volume level). And other amps to fit certain gig/playing requirements. A tweed Pro Jr too!

I actually LOVE my stock CVR amp, it gives me warm thick tones, something a bit different than my other Fender amps.. not completely different but different enough. I would never change mine to the 63 Vibroverb specs myself. I notice no idle/amp noise that is much more than other amps myself.

Does the one you are looking at have the blue Alnico's in it or something else (new Jensen's)? I had other speakers in my when I got it, found a set of blue's and they are made for this amp and how it's setup stock.

Give it a chance stock if you end up with it and that is a great price!

asnarski likes this.

5. E5RSY

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    Blue AlNiCo's.

Definitely won't go off half-cocked. But, I am curious about the mods, too.

t guitar floyd and grolan1 like this.

6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Installling a NFB loop with an adjustment pot gives one the ability to adjust to a stock 6G16 Vibroverb sonic to as much 'heat' as one wants...with anything along the line that pleases one. It also eliminates the noise that is present in the CVR. Adjustment....that would be done for the type of sonic one wants for a certain application.
    +1 on Alnico's the blue Eminence that came in the first Bassman RI amps are the ALP1028's....20 watt speakers. I prefer the Eminence ALK1028. They have a Kapton former which increases the handling capacity to 35 watts.
    I also Louie to mod the first channel for a hotter channel with more midrange.....closer to tweed sonics. Versatility....with an A/B switch....two channels with a difference. The changes I make are a bit more effective than what Fender did in the '68 Custom SF amps.
    Cost??? That depends on the tech and the location, I suppose. It is easily worth 2-3 hours of charges. All general service would be done at the same time....and the amp would be biased at the end.

asnarski, E5RSY and grolan1 like this.

7. If that CVR is in good shape and functioning - I'd myself be hard pressed to not buy it myself.. even though I already have one!

8. That mod I could live with!

Agree the blue Eminence are lower wattage - I never run my amp above 6 so not to concerned. I think the blue ones sounds sweeter than the 1028's myself.

9. E5RSY

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    Can you meet me halfway in San Angelo? ;)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017

10. E5RSY

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    Do you know specifically which AlNiCo speakers Fender put in these amps?

11. I believe they started out with the Eminence Alnico (blue) speakers - they had a bit of a problem with blowing speakers so I believe it was changed to the Jensen P10R. If you ordered a replacement from Fender I believe you were sent the Jensen... or it could be opposite. ;)

(FYI George Thorogood and Joe Walsh toured with these amps - CVR)

12. E5RSY

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    Cool to know. I have an ES-125TDC like George's waiting to be played through it. :)

13. Let us know what you end up with and how you like it.... pics of course are expected!

14. t guitar floyd

t guitar floyd Tele-Meister

Feb 4, 2016
    sw US
    I'd grab that one . . . but that's just me wishing out loud (vicariously). :)

15. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 15, 2012
    kentucky
    I've got a modded CVR and if that new CVR was near me, I'd be thinking about getting it at that price. Good luck!

16. Just curious what you ended up doing? Pick up the CVR?

17. tominwa

tominwa Tele-Meister

Sep 15, 2016
    Olympia, Wa
    Just picked up the DR myself. The more I use it the more I like it.

viccortes285 and Ripradiant like this.

18. E5RSY

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    The store closed its doors last week and someone snatched it up before I could. :cry:

19. Dang, that was a good price too!

20. E5RSY

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    I know. Hey, how are those old 6V6s I sent you working out. Still good?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.