Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Choosing a 50s Telecaster

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Caravaggio, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Caravaggio

Caravaggio TDPRI Member

Apr 23, 2018
    Raleigh, NC
    Telecaster friends,

I have a Classic Series 50s Tele lacquer that was $899. It is a great guitar. I have been considering trading it in towards a much pricier American original 50s Telecaster.

Anybody played both and have an opinion on the differences? Worth trading up?

Thanks.

2. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

The neck will be the biggest difference. White blond to butterscotch, not sure if that's a big deal to you.

CS 50 has a "C" profile, vintage frets and 7.25 radius.

AO 50 has a "U" profile neck, vintage tall frets and a 9.5 radius.

I'm not really a fan of the bigger U neck. Some are and it's a personal preference thing.

A few subtle differences might be pickups and saddles. That's easily changed.

Build quality between a $900 guitar and an $1800 guitar would have some expected differences. Or at least you think there would be.

Are you not happy with the CS? I would try to find an AO and try it first before the leap.

asnarski likes this.

3. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2018
    Waxahachie, TX.
    I would personally keep the 50s and get a good setup and new pickups. They are great feeling guitars, and the 7.25 radius is more in line with the original Telecaster.

Caravaggio and rich815 like this.

4. Caravaggio

Caravaggio TDPRI Member

Apr 23, 2018
    Raleigh, NC
    Yes, I really love the CS. I have Done Mare building me some pickups as well.

SPUDCASTER likes this.

5. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Hard to beat the Mare pickups. Go with it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.