Choices of P90 P/U's...down to these~~

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by zozoe29, May 26, 2019.

1. zozoe29

zozoe29 TDPRI Member

My decision has finally come down to these 3.....Tonerider Hot90's, Bareknuckle Nantuckets, Vintage Vibe P90's. They'd be going into the B + N of my beloved Strat with a 8.7k Dimarzio SDS1 in the middle. Looking for some rockin' blues sounds, & borderline punk tones thru my Mesa DC3 1x12 combo. Nothing to heavy or over the edge. I'm not really playing out, so it's just for my at home entertainment, trying to get close to my 59 LP Special & 57 Junior.
    Money's not terribly an issue, but there is a big spread between the TR's & the Bareknuckle's!! Any thoughts or advice to be given? Thanks all!!

2. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Holic

Don't mess w/ the strat. Look at a Reverend guitar w/ P90s. Some really cool offerings. I love Reverend guitars.

Edit: If you already have a Special and a Junior, why are you looking to try and make your strat into one of those?

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    augustwest likes this.
  3. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

4. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Tele-Afflicted

I've had great experiences with Bareknuckle humbuckers. Although I haven't tried their P90s, I can't imagine those being anything short of excellent. IME Bareknuckles have been worth the price every time.

As for VintageVibe, I have two humbuckers and a set of the SP90s which are Strat-sized P90-style pickups. The SP90s sound great. Pete also sends two different kinds of magnets with each pickup, and mag swaps on these are easy.

(I've had good results combining magnets in P90s - I'm using A2/A5 in one at the neck, and A5/A8 in a bridge P90. Another has a matched pair of A3s, nice vintagey tone.)

Toneriders have a reputation for good sound and great value. Never owned any myself.

5. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

To be honest with your regarding P90's, even the cheap ones sound good to me. I can't recall ever getting a P90 instrument and wanting to swap out the pickups like I mostly do with HB's and Singles. Even the proprietary ones in my Godin Kingpin II sound great to me.

Bruxist and lineboat like this.
  6. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Holic

Godin... they rock. made in Canada/USA with the good stuff. underpriced for what you get, especially used ones.... they are a steal

kbold and Milspec like this.
  7. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

OP description of desired sounds is way to broad and vague to warrant suggesting a particular P90. I agree w/ Milspec -- there are lots of good ones, including the stock Gibson P90s. I don't like P90s because I find them too generic and inexpressive for what I want to play. Many will disagree, but to me there's too much same-old, same-old w/ P90s, though if they work for you, they're great.

Milspec likes this.
  8. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Holic

somehow i don't like the looks of a strat with p90.
    would rather go minihum ore some cavalier firebird pups and you would be noiseless to

Zepfan likes this.
  9. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

After playing with a ton of P90’s, my favorites are the Wolftone Mean&Meaner set, then Lollar, Fralin and Gibson.

bigben55 likes this.
  10. zozoe29

zozoe29 TDPRI Member

I used to have a Special & a Jr.

11. dodona

dodona TDPRI Member

Rockingers are cheapest and best, because hum-bucking on 2 pups active, and the neck pup has a narrow magnetic field like a fender, resulting in a fenderish tone.

12. Yonatan

Yonatan Tele-Meister

I have a GFS mean90 that sounds amazing and might go into my parts build for the neck pickup...

13. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I replaced the stock P-90s in a Modern Player Thinline Deluxe tele with a set of Vintage Vibes. I was fine with the sound of the stock pups, but they were really noisy. Pete’s are a lot better shielded and quieter and also sound great. Bought em with Alnico 2s installed and an extra set of Alnico 5s - likes the 2s a lot, like the 5s more. He makes great pickups - can’t comoare them to your other options, but I can definitely recommend Vintage Vibes...

14. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I just ordered some Chinese made P90's off of Amazon. Fleor A5's for $33.52 a set. I'm going to try them out and maybe experiment a little.

15. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

G I B S O N

King Fan and Zepfan like this.
  16. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I got these in the mail and they are RWRP sets. They have brass base plates but everything else looks like what a regular P90 should look like.
    One set showed 6.9k DCR for the Bridge and 6.8k DCR for the neck.
    The other set shows 7k DCR for the Bridge and 6.6k DCR for the neck.
    Both sets have A5 magnets - North pole for Bridge - South pole for Neck.
    Shielded braid over single wire with push back cloth cover.
    That seems to be very close to original spec other than RWRP. I'm going to be putting 3 of these in my Orange Strat. I let you know if they're any good. I don't have any technical equipment to provide read out charts, just my ears. Being P90's and not easy to screw up design wise, they should sound like P90's.

lineboat likes this.
  17. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

You really can't go wrong with any of these. While I have not tried the Bare Knuckles, from everything I've read and heard, they are great pickups. VV's are terrific. Every VV pickup I've had the pleasure to use has delivered the goods in spades. Toneriders offer excellent quality and exceptional tones for little dollars. Since I'm financially challenged, Toneriders would be high on my list......however, I'd opt for the more vintage sounding, (ust what my ears like to hear) lower winds. That said, the Hot 90's are killer pickups. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

18. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I had a cheap squier custom tele2 years ago that had great sounding p90's in it.
    Designed by Seymour Duncan I think they were.

Not sure if you can buy just the pickups though.

19. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You can only buy them used from people who can’t believe they sound as good as they do. They’ve got the classic P-90 tone.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  20. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Give my buddy a shout.
    https://www.facebook.com/muttpups/

He builds archtops and is getting into pickup winding. He's made me a few custom P-90s and I LOVE THEM! They're so awesome. He's made me a few humbuckers too, and they're amazing, but this is about the P-90s. I play a sort of vintage tone style punk rock through Marshalls. These P-90s he made for me are spectacular for that. I've, got one in an SG and one in a LP Jr. The SG's P-90 is a little more aggressive, the Jr's P-90 is pretty much vintage spec.

Just get in touch with him and see what he says. Tell him Greg sent you.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.