Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Chinese Rail pickup wiring question

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by bluescaster72, Nov 9, 2018.

1. bluescaster72

bluescaster72 Tele-Holic

Mar 4, 2009
    pennsylvaina
    Ok I ordered from ebay a Chinese rail pickup for my Japanese Squier telecaster. The sounds is really good for less then ten dollars. I have these in a strat parts caster now this problem is occurring in both of them ! So something is up and I need to hear from someone who is experienced with these. Everything worked in the Strat Neck and Middle then comes position 4 and 5 . Hum which shouldn't be there not normal hum it is relatively loud. Now I am not a slouch on wiring but this has me puzzed of course if you stand in front of the amp it gets louder and if you move away it goes away . Doesn't do it on the neck and middle .

Well today I wired in the bridge pickup for the telecaster . I installed it no problem but the hum was horrible ! I corrected a few things wiring wise not related to the pickup I saw wrong.. and even added a ground wire and it quieted down enough that I could use the noise gate on my modeler to eliminate it completely but being as these are humbuckers why is there a hum period ?? and why only on the bridge pickup ? I know how to read wiring diagrams . and can correct things and diagnose as I go . But this has me puzzled never had something I couldn't figure out .

2. preactor

preactor Tele-Meister

Nov 27, 2009
    gainesville, ga
    In my haste, I usually overlook something. Something either appears to be shorted or grounded.

3. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

If it sounds like holding the end of the amp cord ... you are. Something is grounded that should not be. Sometimes it is a single strand of wire bent over touching something else. Or a blob of solder that drooled over the edge of a solder tab.

Wire the problem pickup direct to the jack (use alligator clips/etc), is the problem still there? Then add in the switch/volume/etc/etc and track the source down.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.