Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Chicken Pickin'

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by pohorsky, Aug 29, 2005.

1. pohorsky

pohorsky Tele-Holic

What pickups are the best for Chicken pickin'?
    Any ideas

2. Darrell

Darrell Friend of Leo's

I am not an authority

But I can do my share of chicken picken. A lightly wound bridge pick up is the normal preference. Usually one with a resistance below 8. I like em in the low 7's. The 6's are even better if you have the right rig.

A compressor can help, but it is not required.

A pro will tell you he can chicken pick with anything...and he is probably right. I just need a little more help than that. ha ha.

Light guage strings for me.

3. randysmojo

randysmojo Tele-Afflicted

I agree with lower resistance, in the low 7's to high or even mid 6's. Compressor does help a little, for some people, but some sound great without it. It would depend on guitar/amp setup of course. Some amps naturally compress more than others anyways.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Guitarslinger1

Guitarslinger1 Banned

I agree. A pickup from 6+ to 7+ k is best, and with raised or staggered magnets.

I prefer a "Broadcaster" style pickup myself from 7+ to 8+ k with flat, larger diameter magnets. I can get away with some chicken picking, but this kind of pickup is not ideal for that.

6. pohorsky

pohorsky Tele-Holic

Texas Specials

How good of a neck pickup is the Texas Tele vs. a Dimarzio Twang King, chicken pickin terms?

7. Guitarslinger1

Guitarslinger1 Banned

I wouldn't recommend the Texas Tele for what you're talking about. I have not had any experience with that Dimarzio.

8. randysmojo

randysmojo Tele-Afflicted

I think the Dimarzio would be better than the Texas Special, but I don't know if it would really fill the bill completely for neck pickup Chicken Pickin'. Of course the guitar it's in will make a difference, so I could only say give it a try. It's not as dark as a Texas, and the guitar I had it in got a good bit of a Strat like chime to it!

9. GUITARmole

GUITARmole Tele-Afflicted

The Texas Tele neck pickup stinks for chicken pick'n. I just got rid of mine due to it's lack of cluck and presence; it was WAAAAY too dark sounding and lacked the treble response. It also totally messed up the way the middle positon sounded.

I replaced it with a neck pickup from Vintage Vibe Guitars and couldn't be happier...I've finally got the snap and cluck I was looking for and my middle position sounds fantastic. I was also considering the Dimarzio Twang King but the Vintage Vibe was actually cheaper AND custom wound per request.

If I was unhappy with my bridge pickup I would have probably just bought a set from Vintage Vibe but I currently have a SD Broadcaster (one of the early 8.2K ones) and it sounds plenty twangy.

10. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    Poultry reading

I prefer to pick my clunkers... Uh, I mean, "<u>cluckers</u>"... yeah, that's it... ;-) on Joe Barden pickups. But as alluded to above, chicken pickin' is really more about technique than it is about pickin' pickups... ;-) IMO, anyway. Best of luck, CS

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.