Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Chicken Pickin' Terry Downs

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by h4ck.b0x7, Mar 20, 2017.

1. h4ck.b0x7

h4ck.b0x7 Tele-Meister

Nov 29, 2011
    United States
    I'm working on the Terry Downs' Styles of Roy Nichols video and I'm having a bit of an issue. How does one go about chicken pickin'?!?! Do you palm mute? In the video he shows how he chokes up on the pick and says to allow the thumb to hit the string. That's all fine and dandy until I give it a go and it is pinch harmonic central even at low volume totally clean.

Any help is much appreciated.

2. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Tele-Afflicted

For me, it's a coordination between how you pick, some muting with the pick-holding finger and thumb, and controlling the sustain of the string with the fretting finger of my left hand. Kind of pick with right hand, lift the left to choke the string, fret and pick, lift and choke.

3. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    I had to pick up a guitar to see what I did.... ^^^ this is it ^^^ :)
    Tones will change with how I pick the note (pick, pluck, pinch, pull) but the muting is all handle this way.

h4ck.b0x7 and Teleguy61 like this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin Staff Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Near TELE-Town (Wash. DC)
    Admin Post
    You've already discovered one way to do pinch harmonics. The other way is to pick the string with the pick while simultaneously plucking UP on the string with the middle finger of the right hand.

Chicken pickin' is the same thing, you just don't do it simultaneously. Pick down with the pick while muting the string with the middle finger of your right hand. Then immediately pluck UP with that finger right after the picked muted note. CS

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    h4ck.b0x7 likes this.
  6. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jun 24, 2006
    Fort Worth,Tx.
    Heard someone describe it as sort of fretting the note and not fretting it at the same time.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.