Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Chicken pickin technique question.

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by barney77, Dec 29, 2012.

1. barney77

barney77 Tele-Meister

Apr 5, 2010
    Australia
    Just checking with you guys to get some advice.

When playing, for eg a triad I play the lower note with the pick, and snap the other two with my middle finger.
    Should I be using my middle and ring finger to do this?
    Does it matter which technique to use, and if so what are the dis/advantages of either technique?
    Cheers.

2. transmaniacon

transmaniacon Tele-Holic

Apr 16, 2003
    Sydney,NSW
    I use my middle and ring fingers to snap the other two strings, as far as i know this is how it is generally done. If using one finger works for you then that's great too, but I think a better snap can be acheived with two fingers as the striking of the two strings is simultaneous. ymmv.

steve

3. Telegeekster

Telegeekster Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2012
    The Old Line State
    There's a lot to be said for abandoning the pick for an all-fingers technique. It's all a personal preference thing.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

Jan 26, 2011
    USA
    My gut reaction is that if you don't use the ring finger you're leaving a club out of the bag (talk about mixed metaphors). Put it back in and try to add the pinky too. But whatever you choose, it's not brain surgery, nobody's gonna die. ;-]

6. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Holic

Feb 2, 2010
    Houston, TX
    This is just my personal preference, but I would try to use the pick, middle and ring fingers. You COULD play it with just the pick and middle finger but if you are trying do stuff like banjo rolls it would be really difficult to do without using both fingers.

7. barney77

barney77 Tele-Meister

Apr 5, 2010
    Australia
    Ok , I figured I could be losing some " snap" with my technique.
    Perhaps it's time to do some re- constructing.
    Cheers.

8. vincent

vincent Tele-Holic

Jul 22, 2007
    Big Rapids, Michigan
    It might feel more comfortable right now with just the middle finger but in the long run you'll be better off with adding the ring finger. It won't take long before your ring finger has the same snap as the middle finger. Just give it a little time and effort.

9. barney77

barney77 Tele-Meister

Apr 5, 2010
    Australia
    Yeah it seems like they get in each others way at the moment.
    I'll get there though.
    What about with a double stop?
    Pick and middle? Or middle and ring?
    Thanks for the encouragement guys.

10. transmaniacon

transmaniacon Tele-Holic

Apr 16, 2003
    Sydney,NSW
    I just re-read your first post and now your latest post and realise you mean something different than what I initially thought. I guess depending on how you feel at the time you could play a triad how you described or or with the pick and two fingers, my opinion would be most people would still use the pick and the middle and ring fingers. If I was to play a country style chicken pickin' double stop like for example:-

E-------5--------------------------------------
    B-------5----7-----5--------------------------
    G------------7-----5h6-------------------------
    D----7----7-----7------7-----------------------
    A--------------------------------------------
    E-----------------------------------------

I would pick the notes on the D string with my pick and the other notes simultaneously with my middle and ring fingers.

steve

11. Thorpey

Thorpey Tele-Holic

Dec 26, 2008
    Blackpool, UK
    Well that would depend on the situation... If you're just playing a pattern on two strings I personally would recommend that you use pick and middle finger. If you're playing something over 3/4 strings, e.g. Alternate picking on the A and D strings with a double stop over the top... Then you'll be forced to use pick and middle and ring fingers!

12. barney77

barney77 Tele-Meister

Apr 5, 2010
    Australia
    I've got smallish hands, but still feel as though the middle and ring fingers are getting in each others way.
    I guess the co-ordination will come with practice.
    Thanks Steve.

13. barney77

barney77 Tele-Meister

Apr 5, 2010
    Australia
    Cheers Thorpey.
    It does feel more natural to use pick and middle on those double stops.
    Just need to get the ring finger in on those extra strings

14. Thorpey

Thorpey Tele-Holic

Dec 26, 2008
    Blackpool, UK
    You're welcome barney!

Yeah the ring finger is also useful if your double stops aren't on adjacent strings! :p

15. transmaniacon

transmaniacon Tele-Holic

Apr 16, 2003
    Sydney,NSW
    The co-ordination will definately come with practice Barney, in fact the little exercise i wrote is a great workout -just repeat until you go nuts. Also practice picking an open A &/or open D with the pick and middle and ring fingers, start slowly and gradually increase speed.

steve

16. barney77

barney77 Tele-Meister

Apr 5, 2010
    Australia
    Thanks a lot mate.
    I appreciate the feedback and assistance.

17. barney77

barney77 Tele-Meister

Apr 5, 2010
    Australia
    OK

So I've been following all your tips, and I'm making head way, and feeling good about the progress.
    It's already giving me a lot more snap, and a bloody big blister on my right hand ring finger!! Haha.
    Thanks again guys.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.