Chicken Pickin' Action...

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Texicaster, May 11, 2019.

1. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Meister

¡Bueno!

I'm learning chicken pickin' via Josh Loughlin on Truefire.

I thought my action was on the high side but I'm finding it difficult to deaden strings especially up the neck. I'm a 4/64" (why don't the specs say 1/16"~) via Fender set up specs. I can get an ok snap with finger picking but imagine it could be better...

I think I need to fine tune my set up as well as my Tele has been exposed to some extremes in weather as of late.

Approximately what if your action for chicken pickin'?

¡Gracias!

TEX

boredguy6060 likes this.
  2. G-52

G-52 Tele-Meister

I believe as your middle and ring finger callouse, the more force you’ll have. I’ve learned volumes from Jason Loughlin on Truefire:)

3. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

The set up gauge that I have has a section that you use for measuring string height is scaled in 64th’s.
    It’s easier when measuring string height at the 12th fret to just count how many marks differences between the fret top and string bottom. You can then just make the mental reduction to 16th’s.

4. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

Hey Tex, me too! I bought the Lead Guitar Survival Guide when it was on sale recently at TrueFire. I am on Lesson 1 (and probably will be on it for a few weeks), but I am already learning things and seeing improvement!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.