Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Chicago Stompworks Blues Breaker - ODD

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Endless Mike, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    So I bought one, it's very nice. But it sounds a bit different than I remember my original sounding,
    and my other clone as well. So I opened it up, expecting to see a 4558 opamp, instead of the correct TL072.

Well, the opamp is correct, but surprise, surprise, CSW has reduced the circuit. There should be two (2) TL072 opamps, but there's only one (1).

What the hey?

Can someone with the understanding of how this junk works explain to me what they might have done, and why? I expect it's to get the pedal to fit in that little box. But what has it done to the sound?

2. ranjam

ranjam Tele-Holic

Dec 29, 2015
    Canada
    Unless I have the 'wrong' pedal, the BB does have one IC. And A TLO72 is a 4558, with a JFET input. Some ICs have internal compensation, whilst other make you have a capacitor across the IC (think LM308).
    Read this page, and a lot of BB questions may be answered. Or maybe not. If nothing else, you'll learn how to turn a BB into a KOT. ;)

http://www.tonegeek.com/musicgear/pedals/marshall-bluesbreaker-mods.php

3. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    The confusion comes from the fact that my Tone Clone version of the original BB has TWO TL072 opamps. But after looking at the schematics, and gut shots, I see the original BB did have one opamp. This is a real puzzler about my other clone. Weirder and weirder.

I can imagine where this is going to go, but the TL072 sounds 'softer' for lack of any better way to describe it. The BB with a 4558 has a different quality to it. Subtle? Maybe. But not to my ear.

At least now I know CSW had it right.

4. Andy B

Andy B Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 16, 2003
    Colorado
    My Bluesbreaker clone has 1 TL072. I’ve never seen a schematic of one with 2 opamps. 4558 and TL072’s are interchangeable. To me it becomes a matter of which sounds better in a particular pedal.

5. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    I'm not saying there's a schematic with two, but that I have a clone with two. Maybe my memory is fubar'd.

Right, interchangeable. knew that. But as you said, which sounds better. The 072 sounds 'softer' to my ear.

6. Andy B

Andy B Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 16, 2003
    Colorado
    I personally like TL072's. All my favorite pedals use either a J201 or TL072's in them. JFET's sound better to me. I replaced the 4558 in my Prince of Tone with a TL072 because I liked the sound better.

7. Iago

Iago Tele-Afflicted

Sep 18, 2006
    Brazil
    I used a 4558 in my modded BB clone and I liked that better... A little more compressed on the highs... TL072 sounded a little sharper, a little more agressive... Heck, each people has a certain experience/ interpretation of these things. For years I've read people recommending an LM833 as a great opamp to be used in the Zendrive (before Lovepedal started making them for Hermida) and that always sounded like crap to me. I've recently built a Klon buffer (uses TL072) and it sounded much better with an LF353 IMO.

8. Iago

Iago Tele-Afflicted

Sep 18, 2006
    Brazil
    To the OP: it's possible that Tone Clone is using the second opamp for an added function, like active EQ duties or gain boosting, I can imagine.

9. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Jun 19, 2009
    Nashville TN
    Hey Mike, do you still have the Tone Clone schematic or layout? I haven't been able to find them online.

10. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    I'm embarrassed to admit, that my memory was completely skewed. My Tone Clone pedal only has one opamp.
    I've got no idea what the heck I was thinking.

I really wish I could delete this thread...

11. cousinpaul

Jun 19, 2009
    Nashville TN
    So, how do you like the CSW? I a/b-ed mine against the one with the alt values. With tone at 9:00, it gets into the same ballpark but with tighter lows and more gain. Sounds great for what I do.

12. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    I like it a great deal. My other clone is set for the post 92 or 94 (whichever) specs. So the CSW must be pre-92 spec. It is warmer, has more lows. I couldn't say which I like more, but the CSW is really fantastic.

13. cousinpaul

Jun 19, 2009
    Nashville TN
    If you want to check which version the clone is, see if your pedal has a 3k3 or 33k resistor. There's only one with those colors. A 92 spec will be orange, orange, orange. 94 spec will be orange, orange, red. They look very similar so you may need a magnifying glass. The 27k, which would also indicate a 92, would be red, purple, orange. There would only be one of those as well. The cap in question will be a small ceramic marked 10 for a 92, 47 for a 94. If it's a 94, I still recommend you try the 92 mod. It works much better with some guitars and a lot of players prefer the stronger mids and having more range on the tone control.

I've been having some fun at home stacking the two BB's like a KoT. Setting one as a boost into the other as an OD produces some cool higher gain tones. It's great to have two of them!

14. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    So, to be clear - a 94 is brighter, and has less low end? 92 would be more lows, mids and less highs?

My Tone Clone version is brighter, and has less low end. It started off as a 92, but I changed it years ago. I'll have to check the CSW obviously. But if I change anything, it would be the Tone Clone, as the board isn't hot glued in place, and is easier to get in and out in general, because of a much larger enclosure. Too bad Tone Clone disappeared. They used really great enclosures. Also, the board is set up so you can add a dip switch and do the KoT changes, but I was never interested, as I like the BB so well, that I really can't believe in the idea of improvements.

15. cousinpaul

Jun 19, 2009
    Nashville TN
    I had the KoT/PoT stuff in mine but changed it back. Thought it kinda lost what I liked about the BBv1.

16. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    That was always my intuitive hunch, that you couldn't make those changes and keep what was great about it.

17. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2004
    Greensboro NC
    I'm thinking of getting the red llama blues breaker combo pedal from Chicago stompworks

emisilly and Jakeboy like this.

18. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

Jul 26, 2008
    Sedalia, MO
    I have that. He calls it the Blooze Boost. Fantastic pedal. BB & RL are so different, yet they stack well...the stacked tone is of course dependent on where you set the controls. My fave is with the BB cranked for a buzzsaw rippin’ effect. But really I prefer using them one at a time.

19. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2004
    Greensboro NC
    Cal the RL do a decent boost?

20. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    London
    Don't worry. I have a feeling you'll forget about it soon enough.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.