Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Chestnut thinline tele body. Suggestions on type of wood for neck?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by morky, Jun 18, 2017.

1. morky

morky Tele-Meister

Jun 23, 2016
    Athens, Greece
    I just got a new thinline tele body for 50€ from a local luthier. It's a 2-piece korina back with a 1-piece Chestnut top. The body is finished with truoil but it's a bit rough on some spots so I may have to sand it down and reapply.

He had built it for an order that ended up getting cancelled so that's why he was selling it.

1497819008832.jpg
    It's a little bit darker than it looks like in the photos. I always wanted a snakehead neck because I think looks really cool. But I don't think maple will look good with that body. I was thinking maybe a whole rosewood neck but I would have to make a custom order for it locally. Or maybe some darkened maple? What do you guys think?

Also I haven't ruled out painting the body or some part of it but I think I'll keep it natural. Not sure yet.

1497819020206.jpg
    1497819028792.jpg
    1497819035362.jpg

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Because the net effect of the finish is in the nature of Butterscotch Blonde, I think an aged 1 piece maple neck would be best.

Good to see Chestnut being used any which way one can, but that is evidently 3 discrete pieces of wood on the top (and two on the back).

3. morky

morky Tele-Meister

Jun 23, 2016
    Athens, Greece
    You know what you might be correct. I thought it was more than one piece too but he sold it as a one piece top and the lightning wasn't that good at the sellers place so I couldn't really see the lines.

Today though, under the morning light, you can faintly see where the pieces are glued. 1497854460314.jpg

4. jdbunda

jdbunda TDPRI Member

Mar 16, 2014
    Austin TX
    The last pic (showing the glue line) makes the top look much more yellow, and less red than the prior pictures. Very pretty top -- in the first photos, it looks very reddish, which would make me want to go roasted maple. Seeing how much lighter and yellower it looks in the last photo, I'd think rosewood. Personally, for a maple neck, I like a good contrast with the body, two different shades of light amber doesn't work for me.

5. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    What about a Cherry neck and a rosewood board?

6. morky

morky Tele-Meister

Jun 23, 2016
    Athens, Greece
    I think an aged maple would go well. But as you said, two similar shades of brown don't make much sense. That's why I was thinking of a whole rosewood neck but it's pricey

7. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    That doesn't look like chestnut, even if it is.

8. jdbunda

jdbunda TDPRI Member

Mar 16, 2014
    Austin TX
    Ebb, I was thinking the same thing, it almost looks like oak, especially in the last picture. Morky, I think a maple neck with a rosewood board would look great, and be much more affordable than going to something custom or exotic.

9. morky

morky Tele-Meister

Jun 23, 2016
    Athens, Greece
    I agree it doesn't look like Chestnut. The seller said the Korina body was imported but the Chestnut wood was Greek so I don't know, maybe it's a different variety?

10. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    First thought was a roasted flame maple neck, but I think a solid rosewood neck would look nice too.

Skydog69 likes this.

11. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    There is a different Asian Chestnut. For what it's worth I have several piece of reclaimed chestnut and some of it does look a bit like oak. It may very well be the Asian variety. I see it on eBay and other online wood sellers enough.

12. morky

morky Tele-Meister

Jun 23, 2016
    Athens, Greece
    Rosewood is kinda pricey and hard to find a whole rosewood neck in Europe unless you have it custom made.

But I still think a dark neck would go the best with that body. I think the black/brown of rosewood would look really cool with the bed of the body. So I was thinking maybe going with wenge since it has a similar palette of colors and it's less expensive.
    What do you guys think?

I'm not sure yet though. Any comments regarding the rosewood vs wenge for a whole neck debate?

13. jdbunda

jdbunda TDPRI Member

Mar 16, 2014
    Austin TX
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    richey88 likes this.

14. morky

morky Tele-Meister

Jun 23, 2016
    Athens, Greece
    Although I agree that a stained maple neck could work, I still prefer having a darker wood from the start and not staining. It would be easier to achieve the blackish look I want and not end up with a darker than the body shade of brown.

Also for some reason I really want a one piece neck with this and not a glued on fretboard.

Your suggestion though is something really cool and I'm sure it would look really good too I just think I want something different.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.