Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Check these out, Rondo music archtop content

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by blowtorch, Feb 21, 2012.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
  2. Joe-Bob

Joe-Bob Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 6, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
  3. LongBlackTie

LongBlackTie TDPRI Member

Jan 9, 2012
    Cincinnati
    There seemed to be quite a few defectives on the first batch (from this past year), from reviews at AGF. With the right mods it could get you closer to that White Falcon territory though.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I have an Arbor faux Falcon that pretty much sucks. Just feels and plays stiff. I love the look though of a big white archtop.

6. jwsamuel

jwsamuel Friend of Leo's

May 8, 2004
    Upper Holland, PA
    I have the same guitar in red/brown and the quality is fine. It came with Grover tuners. The fretwork is very good, though I did replace the nut. The stock pickups were very good...but I am about to replace mine with a set of GFS Liverpools for a different sound.

Overall, it is well worth the $250 price tag.

Jim

7. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    jwsamuel, that is good to hear. I've got 3 Agile archtops from Rondo and they are all excellent. I've wondered about the "Douglas" line, it's good to hear they're nice guits also.

8. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Got one on the way

9. nickwort

nickwort Tele-Meister

Jan 8, 2011
    South Bend/Ligonier, Indiana
  10. Mojohand40

Mojohand40 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 17, 2005
    manassas,va
    I got a orange WNO-630. I've had it for about 3 years or more.
    Here's some old youtubes I made with it:
    http://youtu.be/5QOf7BrC-e0
    and
    http://youtu.be/X8BmEKaJysE

I had a Gretsch WF a long time ago; and ended up giving it back to my younger brother. I never really liked it as much as he did. There was nothing wrong with it, but I found I didn't play it much, and I have other guitars I liked better. (as a side, my brother found he played his strat more then anything else, and sold the Gretsch!)
    There isn't a lot of comparison between this Douglas and the Gretsch, it's two different beast, feel wise etc. (obviously.)
    BUT...fwiw....I still have my Douglas (in fact I own two Douglas guitars), and not the Gretsch..that's NOT saying the Douglas is better then a White Falcon, only saying, for me personally, I like the neck of the Douglas better.
    Anyway, just saying if Douglas still make them with the same quality as when I bought mine, you will be very happy with the WNO. The electronics might be a little cheap, but mines still fine and still stock. The tuners, finish etc are all pretty darn great, especially considering the price.
    I honestly never felt the need to upgrade it as it sounds/plays good to me as is.

I call mine mine my "Wino" guitar...as in "WNO"...

11. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 5, 2008
    Tulsa
    Damnit, that Gretsch 5120 looks great. Damnit.

12. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    It does look pretty cool, but is it just me or does it look kinda washed-out, with the very light colored binding? It looks to me that the Douglas does a black/cream/black binding that helps the profile stand out and be more clearly defined.

I also give the Douglas the advantage, in that you could add GFS retrotrons and an aftermarket bigsby and still be way ahead, pocketbook-wise. Also the "cloud" fretboard markers look sharp, I think.

13. LongBlackTie

LongBlackTie TDPRI Member

Jan 9, 2012
    Cincinnati
    Agreed on Douglas, looks wise they are the bees knees! Rondo used to have a SNO model that was black with gold hardware And Bigsby clone - total guitar sexxx. I regret not buying it... :cry:

14. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied

Mar 2, 2003
    Bakersfield Ca.
  15. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Got it last night! Brought it to rehearsal, sounded good, even with the super cheap strings! and I'm not a humbucker guy.

16. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's

Nov 2, 2003
    South Dakota
    I couldn't find that white guitar on Rondo's site, is it gone already?

17. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    John, if you click on the link in the top post, it will let you add the guitar to your "cart".I just tried.

Funny though, I just looked on the Rondo site and couldn't find it there, either. I do know they are generally very short runs , with the white ones. That's why I jumped on it when I saw it this last time.

18. jwsamuel

jwsamuel Friend of Leo's

May 8, 2004
    Upper Holland, PA
    Be sure you are looking in the right place. Kurt recently added a "Hollow and Semi-Hollow" tab to the electric guitar listings. He no longer mixes them in with the solid body guitars.

Hollow & Semi Hollow

As of now, he has 9 left in stock.

Jim

19. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I'd have to rate the overall quality a little below what I've seen in Agile archtops, I think.
    Which is more saying a lot for the Agiles than a slam on the Douglas.
    It's definetely nicer than my faux-falcon Arbor, though.
    About on par I'd say with a Epiphone Joe Pass Emporer that I used to have.

I got this guit figuring the buckers would go for sure, but I'm thinking I may leave in the bridge one, and replace the neck with a GFS Surf90.

20. TeleMan59

TeleMan59 Tele-Meister

Apr 7, 2011
    Midwest
    How do you tell how many are in stock? Even if I add it to the cart it doesn't say.

21. jwsamuel

jwsamuel Friend of Leo's

May 8, 2004
    Upper Holland, PA
    Add a huge number to the cart...say 253. The site will tell you that they do not have enough in stock and will tell you how many are there.

I just did it and this is the message I got:

Product: Douglas WNO 630 WT
    In stock: 9
    There is not enough of this product in stock to fulfill your order, try reducing the quantity ordered.​

Just be sure to delete the 253 from your cart so you don't order them all.

Jim

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.