Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Cheaper alternative to the Zendrive?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by schenkadere, Mar 16, 2012.

1. whiteop

whiteop Tele-Afflicted

Nov 11, 2010
    Texas
    I have a Barber Small Fry on my board. It's a great Dumbl'esque type pedal with lots of tonal options and the dirt is nice and fat and great for lead work. I also have a Barber Gain Changer that is great for both rhythm and lead overdrive needs. I tend to like Barber and Lovepedal pedals because they really seem to be made for the performing artists and are great for playing in a live environment. The Lovepedal Kalamazoo and Eternity pedals are my favorites.

2. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Tele-Afflicted

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    I also own a Small Fry, and I do not hear, or understand the Dumble claims for this one.

Alternative to a ZD, that's one thing. Alternative to a Dumble, that something else entirely. Allegedly, the Hotone Grass gets close to the Larry Carlton Dumble sound.

snottyboy likes this.

3. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Jun 19, 2009
    Nashville TN
    "Note Shape" on the Small Fry works the same as "Voice" on the Zen Drive. Set the SF's dynamics control on zero and you can get close.

4. tele-bastard

tele-bastard Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2011
    Lowell, Mass
    Cailyn pure sky or a blues driver and EQ

5. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Tele-Afflicted

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas

6. Mr Mxyzptlk

Mr Mxyzptlk Tele-Meister

Jun 13, 2012
    New York, NY
    The Tomsline Dumbler is supposedly a clone of the Zendrive. I have neither a Zendrive nor a Dumble amp to compare it to, but I like mine, and it's cheap.

[​IMG]

7. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    Pay attention to this thread and the flash sales and you can pick up new ones half price. You missed new Zen Drive II for $125 this past weekend. It's a random flash sale Lovepedal's runs, you never know when or what's going to happen but I got my new red dot Zen and a Hermida Reverb 3 for $56 ea. shipped my 1st time watching for it.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...dals-ham-sammiches-and-the-red-dress.1610795/

These 2 Hermida cost me $112, $50+$6 ship ea., New. Those where a really special deal, he's even given pedals away. Usually half price so $115-125 for Zen depending on model.

All this landed on my doorstep the following fri, was a righteous new pedal weekend.
    [​IMG]

8. Dann B

Dann B TDPRI Member

Jan 31, 2017
    New York
    For those intrigued by the Dan Zink Rinzai Drive, Do It!! It is awesome!

Got in touch with Dan and ordered one. I can not distinguish a difference in a blind test with my Zendrive. Great fit and finish. The Rinzai and a Wampler Tumnus is all I need on my mini board.
    Dan is extremely easy to work with. Very professional.
    He had a bad batch of 9v jacks in his inventory and one of them made it into the Rinzai he built for me. I shipped it back to him and he fixed it free of charge. Upon opening the return package, I found a refund on my outbound shipping. What a great guy! Nobody does that!

I back this builder 1000%.

9. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I got this, and it sounds better than I was expecting it to.
    Better than any clip I could find of it online.
    Twenty five bucks.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    vegetablejoe likes this.

10. vegetablejoe

vegetablejoe Tele-Meister

Mar 28, 2003
    Manila
    Is this equivalent to the Mooer Rumble drive?

11. Mr Mxyzptlk

Mr Mxyzptlk Tele-Meister

Jun 13, 2012
    New York, NY
    It has the same control layout. I wouldn't necessarily assume that the circuit and/or components are the same, although they could be.

12. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss TDPRI Member

Oct 16, 2015
    New Jersey
    SPUDCASTER likes this.

13. Norwegian Would

Norwegian Would TDPRI Member

Feb 29, 2016
    Bergen, Norway
    Something tells me this is a Mooer Rumble Drive clone, if not simply a rehoused Rumble Drive.

And yes, the Rumble Drive has been used in tests versus Zen Drives and similar pedals, and it has gotten very good reviews indeed. In the sound tests, I couldn't hear much difference, and the Rumble Drive I own is a most excellent little pedal for a very reasonable amount of money. Highly recommended.

14. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 26, 2003
    Augusta, Maine
    Get the Zen Drive. You know you want it.

15. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 26, 2003
    Augusta, Maine
    Ow!!! Old thread! Got me AGAIN!

My kingdom for a time machine.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.