Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

cheap toaster pickup, anny recommondations

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by hopdybob, Dec 7, 2018.

1. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Holic

May 28, 2008
    netherlands
  2. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    I bought some cheap toasters a few years back and hated them; hopelessly overwound little mudbuckers. Maybe these are different... they look cool, but... ?

3. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Holic

May 28, 2008
    netherlands
    yes, thats the trigger at first, but off coarse i want a usable sound
    maybe someone has a good hint

4. sothoth

sothoth Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Nov 24, 2010
    Kepler-186f
    Are those like the old Rickenbacker toasters? Have you looked at the Lollar Broiler? Not as pretty but I think it’s meant to be like the Ricks.

5. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

If muddy, put a 0.047uF cap in series with the hot lead -- that cuts the pickup internal capacitance due to machine winding and will fix it for you.
    Could be the cover dampening the tone too but the cap will help that as well.

The other item is be selective with your volume pots, find where you want to be inside their 20% tolerance range. Higher kohm reading on the meter will give you a brighter guitar.

6. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Holic

May 28, 2008
    netherlands
    thank you for this input

7. hwestman

hwestman Tele-Holic

Mar 24, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Since you're in Europe I would recommend Creamery. The make actual toasters that sound nice. But cheap they're not. Not expensive for what they do though.

I have a Ric 360 that used to have HiGains. I did not like them a bit. So then I got a set of Alnico toasters from Artec that were much clearer than the HiGains.

Eventually I got the Creamery pickups and am very happy with the investment.

If you're interested you can buy my Artecs. Don't know what shipping within the EU costs but I don't think it is prohibitively expensive.

8. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Holic

May 28, 2008
    netherlands
    maybe you post a image of those artec?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.