Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Cheap Tele club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Keefsdad, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Meister

Jun 4, 2018
    Toronto Canada
  2. AngelDeville

AngelDeville Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dec 27, 2007
    Albuquerque
    I got about $100 into this one...

[​IMG]

3. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    SX STL-50 from Rondo circa 2005. Heavily modded with completely new electronics and 3 saddle bridge (not a direct fit replacement, BTW). The P90 is a GFS Vintage rehoused in a raw nickel-silver case and the bridge pickup is a GFS Repo 50's.

[​IMG]

FrontPU, ahnadr and telestratosonic like this.
  4. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Meister

Jun 4, 2018
    Toronto Canada
    Nice guitars, let's see some more!

5. DonM

DonM Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Apr 21, 2016
    Henderson,NV/SLC,UT
    Paid about $119 each for these and then modded them up for around $100 each. Love'em. The Swamp Ash is just as good as my MIM 60th Anniversiary Edition Fender.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Random1643, FrontPU and Keefsdad like this.
  6. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Meister

Jun 4, 2018
    Toronto Canada
    Anymore cheap Teles?

7. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

Sep 28, 2010
    Columbia, MO
    IMG_0421.JPG

About $250 for this one.

Random1643 and Keefsdad like this.
  8. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    52EDD7F6-4869-4980-84E6-A3D9B41672DB.jpeg $40.. in a Taylor gig bag w/ I sold for $50. So I was up 10.
    Fun guitar..played well. Eventually I donated it and some other budget guitars to a local charity.

Random1643, FrontPU and Keefsdad like this.
  9. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan
    If you do a Google search for this guitar, you'll find a couple threads made by yours truly on this very website, detailing my adventures with Noah Franklin guitars:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    From the get-go, the switch was screwed on incorrectly. Shortly after I bought it, the bridge pickup went dead. Then, the jack broke. Then, the saddle adjustment screws stripped.

The body sings, the neck is straight, but pretty much every other part that's bolted, screwed, or soldered to the guitar has needed replacement. So, it's a glorified partscaster now. Not that there's anything wrong with that: I took a great sounding guitar and made it KILLER!

Random1643 likes this.
  10. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Meister

Jun 4, 2018
    Toronto Canada
    I love the pickguard and the control plate.

Boomhauer likes this.
  11. 20181025_151212.jpg A recent MF Squier Special Edition on sale for $129. I added some bling :).

Random1643 and FrontPU like this.
  12. ahnadr

ahnadr TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Jan 28, 2013
    Tulsa, Ok. USA
  13. Boomhauer

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan
    What's the price cutoff for "cheap tele?"

bender66 likes this.
  14. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    All my teles are cheap!

Cheap to me is what consider the under $100 category.

Where did you get that cover?!

I have a brand new STL-60 in the box from CL a couple years ago. It still had the paper on the strings! Straight ferrules!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  15. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    I'd say under $300 new, low enough to exclude the Squier CV and VM lines but high enough to include the Standard and most clones.

Philadelphia Luthier Supply on EBay.

16. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Dec 19, 2017
    Chattanooga
    IMG_1949.jpg

This is my favorite cheap tele. Cost me 100.00 back in ‘89. Recently, I had a custom pickup wound, replaced the plate, pots and switch and made it in to an esquire. Leveled and dressed the original frets myself. Sounds and plays great.

Random1643 likes this.
  17. TampaMan

TampaMan TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Jan 5, 2018
    Tampa Bay GMA
    I paid for a Monprice Indio Tele recently for $89.99 with free shipping, then I saw this in the local CL for $75 one day later!

Squier Tele Std.png

Beautiful Squier Standard Tele. I'm pretty rabid about rosewood fretboards, but this is laurel and feels very good so can't complain. Tone knob doesn't seem to want to give me hardly any tone so that is a future project. Had to adjust the truss rod a few turns and it is nice and straight. That is all it needed.

Then I tried to return the Indio, got an RMA and everything, but the shipping was $53 from FL to CA! Yikes! So now I'm selling it, new in box, on CL Tampa Bay area. Right time of year to sell something like this.

Random1643 likes this.
  18. Boomhauer

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan
    You've given me an idea:
    Next time I cut out a record pickguard, I'll carve the horn/neck/pickup area as usual, then leave the bottom/bridge/control area completely rounded...give a little extra, like a Tele Deluxe sort of thing. Maybe if I situate it well enough, I can fit the record over the switch, then shape the control plate.

Keefsdad likes this.
  19. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Meister

Jun 4, 2018
    Toronto Canada
    So you like the squire better than the Indio? Where did you get it for that price?

20. TampaMan

TampaMan TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Jan 5, 2018
    Tampa Bay GMA
    Well let's say I preferred the Squier over the Monoprice Tele but would be very happy with it if not for such a bargain to present itself in the Squier.

I got it off Craig's List Tampa. I'm trying to contact the owner of a Yamaha THR5 that is a very good deal. You just have to have the cash in hand to pick up good deals on CL. Better than ebay as you can actually check the item out in person and bargain with the seller. But you have to know your products and what to look for.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.