Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Cheap Signature Paisley tele alternatives

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by TheBadHombre, Nov 17, 2017.

1. TheBadHombre

TheBadHombre TDPRI Member

Alright so the paisley is my dream guitar apart from the color, sticky neck finish, and the fact that it doesn’t have Baja wiring. 6 digits are also my dream income, but seeing as I’m 15, and my neighbors don’t care about their lawn enough to warrant me mowing it, I’ve been forced to settle my awake guitar. Any suggestions on how I could put together a setup that is as close as possible that paisley? Since we’re probably talking partscaster, I’ll add that I do have the electronics I want already, but I need a light body (don’t care about what kind of wood; not a big “tonewood” believer) , and a similarly beefy neck with bare or worn finish, and the same bridge, tuners, control plate, etc. Also I have another thread about some Baja wiring problems; it’s linked here 920D Baja wiring troubles. Help needed
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...share_tid=780207&share_fid=78013&share_type=t

I’d appreciate the help on that thread also.

2. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Jul 15, 2013
    Europa
    Hard to give advice without knowing your budget. Just remember tha Used guitars cost half of new guitars :)

3. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 2, 2006
    NY

4. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Get one of these guitars
    http://www.rondomusic.com/eg491crm7b.html
    http://www.rondomusic.com/eg4917lbl.html
    http://www.rondomusic.com/cgi-rondomusic/sb/productsearch.cgi?search_field=hadean

Get some of this cloth
    https://www.hobbylobby.com/Fabric-Sewing/Paisley/c/dc-fabric-patterns-paisley

Get some polyurethane.
    Rough up the existing finish, poly down and while wet lay the cloth over (cloth cut generously larger than the guitar top), smooth the cloth out with a putty knife, poly down over it while wet, then let dry. Use a new utility blade to cut out all the cavities and trim the outer rim. If you want, paint a burst around the edges, the sides, the back (careful with paint and poly compatibility if you do this). Dry. More poly, more, some more, probably some more. When the voids of the cloth are filling in lightly sand to level if you want (this is risky if you cut fibers), final poly. reassemble and rock it!

You're starting out well, no tonewood and Baja circuits. Watch some Bill Kirchen 'hot rod lincoln' on youtube and you'll flip that control plate around too.

5. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    The cloth doesn't willingly and easily do what you want it to. It's a MAJOR finishing job that as soon as it goes wrong, it's unfixable.

6. TheBadHombre

Well I think it’s reasonable to find a body, neck and metal parts for under 5.

7. tery

tery Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    I'd suggest to look for a lightweight used 50's Baja ;):)

ricardo1912 likes this.

8. TheBadHombre

It’s all great but I can’t settle for that....let us say.....”inaccurate” body and headstock shape. Plus that defeats the whole purpose of having the neck Shape and light body of the paisley; but I didn’t give a price point so far so that would be a good option on the cheap. Btw I live bills music and spent a long time getting hot rod Lincoln down.

9. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    If you're just 15, you couldn't have spent all that much time yet.

HAH!

10. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL

11. ianstrike

ianstrike TDPRI Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Chicago
    The beauty of being fifteen is you got way more time than many of the folks on this forum.

12. VintageSG

VintageSG Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Huddersfield, UK
    Gee, thanks for the cheery optimism ;-)

13. TheBadHombre

Maybe I shouldn’t have said I was 15...... LOL.

14. TheBadHombre

But seriously I would probably take that flower power finish off and get some vintage blonde and relic it. Btw I like relics for the feel not the look, although I don’t have to worry about scratching it

15. TheBadHombre

Also I’m having a crisis. I tried a jazzmaster the other day day and it fit me perfectly. Way Better than a strat and better than a tele. I know It’s because the bottom waist is farther away from the neck than a tele. Also the fret spacing was nice and big so I had lots of room between frets when up high. Maybe I need a offset body.......

16. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    I just put this neck on my Affinity. It is a BIG neck, nearly an inch thick to an inch thick. The finish is thin, and looks good. I wet sanded the back of it with Dr. Ducks Ax Wax(my trick), and it is smooth as silk and not sticky. http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=362141755747

I like Jazzmasters also. The fret spacing(scale is 25.5" on both) is the same as the tele, but maybe the Jazzmaster you tried had vintage frets, which are narrow and tall. It does seem to make more space. The neck I posted has vintage frets.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017

17. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    Oh, and I tried the new Jazzmaster Affinity(no trem), Nice guitar for $200.

18. TheBadHombre

Lowthudd out of all the variants of jaguars and jazz masters, the American pro jaguar is my fav setup. It’s basically got its own version of Baja electronics.
    Plus the volume knob is farther away from the bridge so I don’t hit it constantly. But second I love that neck!! So fat! I don’t know why everyone doesn’t like fat necks!

19. TheBadHombre

Also I could swear the fret spacing was different, but I couldn’t have been. Guess it was the frets like you said

20. TheBadHombre

“Mr Ducks ax wax” . Im speechless from laughter.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.