Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Cheap pine body blank...

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by fretman_2, Feb 22, 2012.

1. fretman_2

fretman_2 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2011
    Mobile, AL
    ...at least the core of a body blank. Picked up one of these from Lowes this afternoon. 18" round table pine table top 1" thick. I'll put a 3/4 top on it. It's just big enough for the template...not bad grain either for a cheap pinecaster. Nice and flat...already sanded.

IMAG0160.jpg

IMAG0161.jpg

IMAG0162.jpg

IMAG0159.jpg

2. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

Aug 13, 2009
    Mobile, AL
    Cool. I'm interested to see how it comes out. What do you plan to cap it with? How much for the table top?

3. fretman_2

May 9, 2011
    Mobile, AL
    Table top was a little over $11 with tax. I think I will cap it with pine or red oak.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

nice, i love builds that use interesting sources for the body. like that guy who build a guitar from a ikea chopping block. i thought that guitar looked great. they should have some red ceder too. but def use something from the same store.. just to keep with the theme. heh.

chris.

6. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    I have made 3 bodies out of free shipping pallets.

7. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    Unless you just have to have an 1 3/4" thick body, cap it front and back with the oak ply laminate Lowe's carries (2 X 2[6$] or 2 X 4,[11$] panels avail) and you get a blank almost 1 1/2" thick. Use a light 1/8" or 3/16" roundover and you have natural oak faux binding. Stain (7$,10 colors) and Danish oil (7$ clear,wlanut,and oak) the top & back, rub in some Zinser's amber shellac (10$) on the sides, and you have a finished body you didn't have to shoot, using all Lowe's products :)

8. jpbturbo

jpbturbo Tele-Afflicted

Dec 30, 2010
    Banner Elk, NC
    It's almost like you have done this before ;-)

My pine body is made from a 2x10 that joined with my hand plane and glue up.
    I also have a thinline blank I'm making out of Lowes poplar craft boards.

9. fretman_2

May 9, 2011
    Mobile, AL
    Mike:

I got two big stacks of red oak from shipping pallets that's drying in my garage. Can't wait to use it!

10. fretman_2

May 9, 2011
    Mobile, AL
    Dave:

Are you talking about this??

http://www.lowes.com/pd_350626-61-L...373__s?Ntt=oak+ply+laminate+&page=2&facetInfo=

11. fretman_2

May 9, 2011
    Mobile, AL
    JPB...how thick were your 2X10's?? I read your build thread but didn't see if you'd glued on a top.

Tnx,

12. motor_city_tele

motor_city_tele Tele-Afflicted

Apr 25, 2005
    motor city
    Pine 2 x 6's, 8's, 10's, 12's can usually be had for free. Most any new construction building sites have a whole bunch sitting in a dumpster. I think the rule is if it ain't at least 24 inches long - chuck it.

13. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
  14. fretman_2

May 9, 2011
    Mobile, AL
    Very cool...thanks!!

BTW...I did look on eBay for a pine body blank, but the best priced blank was around $23 (buy it now) which is not too bad, but they wanted just about that same amount to ship it! It'll take me a little more time and effort to 'build up' a body blank, but I'll save a good bit of money.

15. sfcmark

sfcmark Tele-Meister

Apr 17, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    The rule around here is, if it's leftover and under $500 - chuck it. Lumber, sheet rock, shingles, whatever.

They figure it's not worth the time and effort to return it to the lumber yard. I work with a guy who did some home construction work for a bit after he retired from the Army, and he got ALL the materials to re-roof and remodel his house for free that way.

16. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    Body wood is not expensive.... I can buy 34" X 7" of 8/4 ash or alder for about $20

17. fretman_2

May 9, 2011
    Mobile, AL
    So far, I haven't found anything I could call a body blank around here (Mobile, AL). But, then again, I haven't been everywhere either.

Where do you get your blanks?

18. stng72

stng72 Tele-Meister

Jan 31, 2012
    miami beach
    Way to go fretman. Please post pics of your build.

19. bullitt

bullitt Tele-Holic

That looks like a cool start.

20. jpbturbo

jpbturbo Tele-Afflicted

Dec 30, 2010
    Banner Elk, NC
    After sanding front and back it comes out to around 1.475".
    Close enough for a pine esquire sort of thing.
    Not planning on adding anymore to it.

The thinline is going to be 1.750" or thereabouts, two layers of 0.750" poplar that gets hollowed out and a 0.250" top with the F hole.

21. fretman_2

May 9, 2011
    Mobile, AL
    I certainly will...but it'll be a while. I'm building as I get the $$ so it's piece meal.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.