Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Cheap Pedals

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Linkslover, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Tele-Holic

Jan 4, 2017
    Wales
    I've had a Caline Highwayman for a couple of weeks now. It's a fantastic pedal for rhythm playing. Very responsive to the volume knob and makes my Tele neck p/ups sound great. I believe it's a clone of an AC Booster.

2. cntry666

cntry666 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2010
    decatur, ga
    It’s a weird pedal, I can’t really get a deep Reverb from it but the shimmer setting has some cool overtones that work for me. Probably should have saved for a Holy Grail.

3. Budda45ftw

Budda45ftw Tele-Meister

Aug 21, 2017
    Rochester NY
    I have an aroma g fuzz, germanium fuzz face clone. Real germanium, cleans up nice with the volume knob. Love it.

boppy, Fearnot and Staypuft1652 like this.

4. bacongrease

bacongrease Tele-Meister

Mar 27, 2013
    Polara has some pretty options. Not terribly $$$

ndeli55 likes this.

5. bacongrease

bacongrease Tele-Meister

Mar 27, 2013
    Look for cheap clean boost pedals to put before your dirt or to drive yr amp. It will rock your world. Ok that was bad but really, try it if you haven’t

6. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    I have two Behringer pedals on my board and like them a lot; the Reverb Machine is there for it's 'Space' (shimmer) setting, which I like better than the Shimverb. It's a clone of the Line 6 reverb pedal, and while I was suspect of it at first - I got it for $20 because the battery clip didn't work - I've been gigging it for 4-5 years now with no problems.

The other one is the Super Fuzz, a clone of the Boss Hyper Fuzz, which was itself a knockoff of the Univox Superfuzz. I've been churning through fuzzes for the last 3 years and this one has stayed the longest... so far. Every time I step on it, I smile. You can't find a better, ruder, funner fuzz for $25.

Staypuft1652 likes this.

7. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2015
    Da' Magic Mittin'
    Yeah, I got one of those, as well as the delay machine, and the noise gate. I've heard reviews that they are "noisy", but I have a hard time hearing it. Gives you a ton of variety, though.

LOTS of variety available with Behringer. Mine are all still working after about 5 years of periodic use.

Sounds Good likes this.

8. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Tele-Meister

Oct 2, 2017
    Luton UK
    Lol! They are probably using it in front of the amp on a distorted channel some of the comments never cease to amaze me as to what folk are at.

One tone i am after is the tone in which Shawn Lane used, on the One More Night solo in his early days with the Willys. I have got close using the Boss recorders amps and effects, on a slightly distorted clean channel, that was a really unique tone i have never heard one like it before.

9. Dobronaut

Dobronaut TDPRI Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Leicestershire UK
    I've got lots of cheapo's from Joyo, Biyang and Caline. Life expectancy and sound quality are no worse than the big boys. I tried nearly every "transparent" boost pedal, and none were transparent except the joyo version, and my Joyo A.S. is wonderful. I use it constantly. Especially recording. I keep trying to use the valve amps, but I get better results with the joyo.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

10. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Holic

Oct 17, 2008
    Tujunga California
    Behringer recently bought TC, and some of the new inexpensive TC line are reportedly Behringer circuits in better metal cases. They generally get good reviews, and most are around $35 or so.
    Al

3-Chord-Genius and Staypuft1652 like this.

11. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Tele-Afflicted

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    Just ordered a Caline Sandstorm! I don't really have any distortion pedals so I figured "why not?"

12. indodeluxe

indodeluxe TDPRI Member

Jul 19, 2017
    US
    Best cheap delays in my world have been the DigiTech DigiDelay and the Ibanez DE-7. Both can be found for $50 or less used, and they both sound killer. Although it doesn't really meet your criteria, the DigiTech has a built in 4 second looper.

13. indodeluxe

indodeluxe TDPRI Member

Jul 19, 2017
    US
    Oops just realized you were looking for mini stuff, but if you can deal with the larger size boxes these two delays really do sound killer for very little money.

14. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    Just pulled the trigger on a Dumble style pedal, will report back when rec'd....

15. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Tele-Holic

Jul 2, 2015
    PNW USA
    Need reverb?
    I just bought a second Biyang RV-10 Tri Reverb, $35 new on eBay (look for "make an offer"), to use on another pedal board and for general backup. I've gigged with a Tri Reverb "always on" for four years now with no problem. To me they sound about as good as any digitial reverb (use the "B" switch setting, "A" is weird), I can't recommend it enough.

Yes I have the RV-600 Reverb Machine, it's worked great for years, and I just bought another one for a bandmate. I, too, use it just for the "Space" shimmer mode (used judiciously on certain songs), and agree it sounds better than most shimmer effects. And in a pinch, it's a perfectly good reverb (I especially like the Plate setting). I got my first one for less than $25, when they were a new thing; now it's hard to touch a new one for less than $45 (again look for "make on offer" among the sellers of these on eBay—seems $45 is as low as they'll go.)

Thanks to this thread, I think I'm gonna order a Joyo boost pedal! (To replace a modern EH PB-1, which has its uses but is not 'transparent.')

16. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    Found one of these just last weekend, and only just now got a chance to put it through its paces. I don't know about other germanium fuzzes, but this one made me sweat... hard.

That's all I can ask of any pedal, especially a cheap one.

17. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    Reporting back. We have a winner! Have yet to add it to the board, but damn if it sounds amazing! Just a little grit but great flavor! I only know Dumble from records, but this lil cheapie really brings my Tele to life! Anyone else having fun with a D-style pedal?

Staypuft1652 likes this.

18. yabbason

yabbason NEW MEMBER!

Oct 8, 2017
    pittsburgh

19. yabbason

yabbason NEW MEMBER!

Oct 8, 2017
    pittsburgh
    It's not really cheap but I bought a xvive Mike which gives you acoustic sounds from 9 different acoustic guitars, all recorded using a high end ribbon mic and it is high end and very useful for a decent acoustic. I got mine on amazon for under 100 skins and played through my fishman mini it is an excellent pedal. But sorry, not cheap but useful for your acoustic.

20. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Tele-Meister

Oct 2, 2017
    Luton UK
    I have a dumble pedal which was not cheap though the dumkudo, it has the twin boost on it, and with two dumble tones so one can mix the two if needed, or just boost the one tone. Also as an extra it has a marshall amp setting, which is great and again can be used with a double boost if needed, maybe the best pedal that i have, that and the latest big muff pi deluxe with a foot expression pedal.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    richey88 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.