Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Cheap Pedals

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Linkslover, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 26, 2003
    Augusta, Maine
    Fer sher, man! I've been a hopeless, hapless, helpless Deadhead since March 10, 1970 - back when they did eight-hour pixie-dust-fueled shows.

2. Linkslover

Linkslover TDPRI Member

Mar 16, 2017
    Chicago
    Does you Ammoon looper retain passages after you've turned off the power or does it erase everything?

3. tubejockey

tubejockey Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2015
    the bozone
    It retains loops. And you can store loops and reload them via USB.

4. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Holic

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    I bet they stink

BigDaddyLH and brbadg like this.

5. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    IMO only.....

Whatever you decide in these "cheap" pedals, buy two of each and keep the spares handy for every gig you are on. There is a reason you pay a little extra for the better brands.... jacks, pots and switches! Sure the circuits can keep up so yeah... they sound the same or similar, but they skimp in the parts that matter most!

6. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    +1 super impressed, plus they actually have great service and support if you ever have questions or problems

Staypuft1652 likes this.

7. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    The 150% price premium is a bonus!

8. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

-Rogue delay (isn't Rogue brand owned by Fender?)
    -Kokko FLP2 SOS looper
    -Joyo American Sound

9. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Hendersonville, TN
    I have the Toms Dumbler Overdrive and the Liner - an A/B or A&B switch box. Both work and sound fine.
    Also have a Mighty Sound M5 analog delay and it is very good. These are mini pedals and got these for the minimal size and ease of setup. I can store the delay and OD with connectors in the back of a combo amp
    and not have an additional carry piece to tote.

I mainly use a Route 66, Carbon Copy and Digitech Obscura but have played all side by side and have no issues with the cheap ones. I could easily substitute one for the other.
    Also have Nux, Caline, Joyo, Behringer and so on but other than delay and occasional overdrive don't use pedals a lot unless needed for certain sounds. Think the 2 Calines I have could use a smoother operating footswitch.

10. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    I've been super-impressed by the Donner stuff - inexpensive, well-built and they sound good. I have a Yellow Fall, a Morpher, a Stylish Fuzz and two Boost Killers. But frankly, I don't think there's much difference between them and any of the other chinese 'brands'... I suspect they all come out of the same handful of factories, and you can stamp your brand on any of them if you have the cash. (Outlaw Effects comes to mind...)

I like the cruise through pedals on Amazon to see what new brands have come (and gone)... my favorite 'brand' so far was 'Whim'... and I enjoy their white 'Compulsive Drive' very much.

11. Linkslover

Linkslover TDPRI Member

Mar 16, 2017
    Chicago
    Thanks to all for your responses.

I think at this point, I want to focus on just getting a cheap looper that:
    • Is simple to use
    • Has a decent amount of recording time
    • Is simple to use
    • Save loops after the power is disconnected
    • Is simple to use
    • Has true bypass
    • Is simple to use
    I plan on using it strictly for practicing my leads. I will be recording the rhythm to songs (probably just single verses) and then playing these back so I can figure out what lead to play over them when I jam. I am not gigging and don't need to overdub to create a full musical piece that I can perform just by myself.

My budget is $40 or less.

12. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2012
    South Jersey
    Me too!

13. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I loved my Rogue Delay, until it died about two weeks after getting it

14. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I went to Sam Ash yesterday, and I'm not kidding:

There wasn't like a single pedal for less than $100, and the majority were $125 and WAY up.

I guess it doesn't pay for them to carry the lower markup stuff in store.

Staypuft1652 likes this.

15. capt pearl

capt pearl Tele-Meister

Jul 8, 2003
    Hmmmm... sounds interesting

16. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    eh, it's "alrite". Some peeps say it's a zendrive clone, I dunno about that , but I like my ENO Mymorpha Rat clone better.

Staypuft1652 likes this.

17. Budda45ftw

Budda45ftw Tele-Meister

Aug 21, 2017
    Rochester NY
    Also, the 20 buck fuzz pedals are awesome!

18. DougM

DougM Tele-Meister

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Most Amoon and Donner are just rebranded Rowin pedals. But, I'm now seeing some Tomsline rebranded as Rowins. I've had Tomsline (Aroma), Rowin, Eno and Kokko pedals, and I like them all. Although they've all been overdrive pedals. The only one that wasn't is my Rowin nano looper pedal, which sounds as good as my Digitech Jamman Solo XT, but unlike the Digitech, can only hold one loop at a time. But, it does have an app to transfer loops to and from your computer. It can record up to ten minutes.The Rowin Gumble is a great sounding overdrive, as are all the Tomsline and Kokko ones. My favorite right now is the Tomsline AGR-3S Michael Angelo Batio signature Vintage overdrive. Mooer were the original minis, but cost a little more than the others. Rowin then developed their nano series, which are half the size of minis.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017

19. bacongrease

bacongrease Tele-Meister

Mar 27, 2013
    Do you lose a lot of heat with the shimverb? I did. Was it me or the pedal?

I have the dano echo not sure what it’s called but it does slapback & thats all it does. I think it was $10.

I’m not a big fan of comp but I recognize the need so I found a used mooer yellow comp based on reviews. If it sucks im dumping it quick like.

20. Sounds Good

Sounds Good TDPRI Member

Oct 2, 2017
    Luton UK
    For echo the behringer echo machine is excellent it can match the top pedals, the only draw back is it is in a plastic casing but i have had mine a while. Also it can even nearly match the watkins copicat, one chap has 15 copicats and has tried all others and says it is the only one that comes close, also has to many other features to mention.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.