Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Cheap Pedals

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Linkslover, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister

Dec 24, 2015
    Birmingham, AL
    I have a bunch of cheapo overseas pedals. I've been happy with almost all of them. I'm currently loving my Caline pedals - Pure Sky and Orange Burst. I also have a Joyo Tube screamer clone that is awesome. I've generally been happy with all of them except for one delay pedal that was only about $20 from eBay that I can't remember. Pedals are generally very simple electronics so it's hard to go wrong with clones of old/great circuits.

2. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    I just got the Caline Pure Sky and this thing is a steal for 30 bucks on amazon prime. Got it in two days in time for this weekends gigs.

There are surely better low gain pedals than this, but not for 30 bucks. With a full band, nobody will be able to tell the difference between that pedal and one costing much more.

3. matrix

matrix TDPRI Member

Apr 13, 2016
    Vancouver, BC
    I have an Andooer "Trouble" (a mini-format OCD clone), and a Kokko compressor, both recently purchased on flea bay, both amazing build quality for the price. I may never buy another brand name pedal.

Also, I really get a kick out of thinking to myself "and....here...comes....TROUBLE" right before stomping on the Andooer. That alone is worth quite a bit to me.

El Famoso, rburd2 and SolidSteak like this.

4. beninma

beninma Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Is OD really a thing with acoustic guitar?

I was going to say.. the tone out of an acoustic guitar like that is so good I wouldn't want to go cheap on pedals.

Charlie Bernstein likes this.

5. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 26, 2003
    Augusta, Maine
    PS - You shouldn't need much for an acoustic. F'rinstance: overdrive? For acoustic? For Dead covers? That's the most un-overdriven rock band on the planet!

For a cheap looper, check out www.loop-master.com. They're back-ordered, so you won't get it right away. But the quality is good and the price is great. Worth the wait.

6. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I run my AE through a Boss Acoustic Processor (not a simulator), but don't think anyone makes a mini. I've always thought that if you're plugging into a regular guitar amp, it's a must, but who knows. I run though a keyboard amp.

But I think at least a 5-band EQ IS a must, and my dirt cheap Donner works just fine. You could even use it as a boost.

7. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2009
    Cologne, Germany
    +1

8. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2009
    Cologne, Germany
    Good thing is:
    1. You can buy buy 5 of the suckers for the price of one standard pedal.
    2. You can put 5 of them easily in your Gigbag

9. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2010
    Fullerton CA
    Buy from a vendor here in the U.S., not China. When (not if) you get a defective pedal, the best you will get is an offer of half your money back. Otherwise, expect to spend $24 to ship the bad pedal back to China for an exchange. This has happened twice.

10. funkysoul

funkysoul Tele-Meister

May 14, 2013
    greece
    i wasn't a pedal guy at all.so when it started it has to be cheap in case of a bad choise.so joyo,caline,mooer,all was doing the job for me.but i left with an ehx east river drive and the unchangeble joyo sweete baby.the most are great value for money

11. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    My current fave is the Kokko overdrive. $20 and great TS clone. Have had good luck with Eno, LOVE the Donner Boost Killer, mainstay on the board for a couple years...

12. dalezjc

dalezjc TDPRI Member

Jun 16, 2017
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Check out Tone City pedals.

13. Linkslover

Linkslover TDPRI Member

Mar 16, 2017
    Chicago
    I agree about more expensive generally being better and i have a fuller board with good stuff (carbon copy, alter ego, blues screamer, wampler ego,...).

This is just a mini board for practicing our going acoustic when i don't need s full board. Hence the desire to stay mini and cheap.

14. Linkslover

Linkslover TDPRI Member

Mar 16, 2017
    Chicago
    I agree that mooer makes good pedals for the price, but I'm trying to stay under $30 per pedal.

15. Linkslover

Linkslover TDPRI Member

Mar 16, 2017
    Chicago
    Anyone have experience with Aroma (also sold as Tomsline) pedals?

16. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Meister

Apr 15, 2017
    Harvest, Alabama
    My Donner Pearl Tremor phase shifter is top-drawer.

Gig-ready, and sturdy, with a clean signal.

:)

17. bear04

bear04 Tele-Holic

Jul 24, 2011
    New Brunswick, Canada
    I bought a Joyo tremolo pedal and have never had any regrets. It was also in the $30 range you are looking at.

18. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Holic

Mar 11, 2008
    Timonium,Maryland

For soloing over a looper.They have plenty of songs with overdrive.

19. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 26, 2003
    Augusta, Maine
    I get it. I still wouldn't want bad pedal sounds, especially for an acoustic gig.

There seem to be some great low-budget suggestions above, though. I think your question has been answered. And I've learned a lot, too!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.