Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

cheap fuzz box??

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by asatfan, Feb 13, 2018.

1. asatfan

asatfan Tele-Afflicted

First of all, I'm not a pedal freak, or particularly savvy about pedals, in general. I play traditional country and my pedal board consists of a volume pedal, tuner, tremolo, chorus, and sometimes a drive / boost pedal such as a Sparkle Drive.

I'm playing a Buck Owens / Bakersfield Sound show in a few weeks with my band and one of the songs requested by the promoter is "Who's Gonna Mow Your Grass" which was a "poppy" little song Buck did that was not particularly a big hit. It has a very generic but prominent fuzz tone guitar hook in the song.

Since I don't own a fuzz pedal, and I can't seem to find anyone I know who has one, I probably end up buying one and then re-selling. Any suggestions for a good, cheap unit with maybe just two knobs (too many knobs just confuse me)? I took a quick look on Reverb and there are over 3000 used from around $50 on up. Probably 99% of them would do the job.

I know you all are well versed in these things and I'd appreciate any suggestions on a few to narrow things down. Thanks in advance!

2. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 6, 2010
    Twangsylvania
    Define cheap. Budget?

You want something in the Fuzzrite (Sanner) family. It is a really basic fuzz that cuts through the band like a chainsaw. Don Rich probably got an early one through the Mosrite connection. Most likely it was a Germ circuit, but you should be able to get along with a Silicon one and not have to break the bank. Ashbass makes one that sounds and looks the part, called the Fuzzbrite. The circuit is encased in a ball of clay and it looks a mess, but sounds spot on. You can get used ones on reverb for 70-80 bucks. That said, you can still get a pedal handmade by Ed Sanner (the original builder) from Hallmark Amps. It is called the Nu-Fuzz and it is fantastic, but not cheap. Some other "booteek" options include: Catalinbread FuzzRite, Catalinbread Merkin, Mojohand One Ton Bee, Mahoney Acid Fuzz.

NOTE: There may be a cheap Chinese clone now, but I would need someone else to fill in. I don't know too much about those Joyo, Mooer, Donner, etc pedals.

asatfan likes this.

3. luckett

luckett Friend of Leo's

Jun 14, 2011
    EHX satisfaction will get you there pretty cheaply and they are easy to find used.

poolshark, asatfan and artdecade like this.

4. asatfan

asatfan Tele-Afflicted

Great info, artdecade!

My budget would be whatever gets me in the ballpark....I was hoping to spend $100 or less since I may never have a need for it, other than occasionally for that song.

Luckett, that's a good suggestion, too.

I'll take a look at Fuzzbrite and EHX Satisfaction (named after the iconic song, I guess)!

5. VintageSG

VintageSG Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Huddersfield, UK
    Some of the cheapies can be really good. I've got a Rowin LEF-606 which is permanent pedalboard resident. It can go from just breaking up to utterly over the top splattiness and responds well to changes in the volume control on the guitar too.
    I've got a Tomsline G-Fuzz, which is nice enough, though not as flexible as the Rowin. Joyo do/did an octave fuzz, which has a reasonable fuzz side to it, with the added sonic nastiness of an octave-up effect too. It's also available under the Ammoon brand. I don't use mine much/at all as I have the Rowin.
    You may come across the Behringer VT911. This was marketed as an overdrive. As an overdrive, it sucks choad. However, it does make for an extremely good 'one trick, one song' fuzzlebox. Used for a cover of 'I wanna Be Your Dog' and nothing else.
    You can build one. They're not tricky, but the chassis may cost more than a Far Eastern cheapie.

I'd heartily recommend the Rowin at the dirt cheap end of the spectrum. Expensive fuzz boxes don't tempt me.

asatfan likes this.

6. luckett

luckett Friend of Leo's

Jun 14, 2011
    Ironically, it's circuit is a Jordan Bosstone rather than the Maestro Fuzztone that was used on the song. But it does sound similar.

asatfan likes this.

7. artdecade

Dec 6, 2010
    Twangsylvania
    The Maestro and the Mosrite are in the same family. I think you will find the Maestro has a bit more midrange and that causes it to be somewhat more nasal sounding than the Mosrite. The Mosrite has a more treble and can be shrill, but it works in a mix. This guy below does a comparison of two vintage units.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    asatfan likes this.

8. bgmacaw

bgmacaw TDPRI Member

Feb 11, 2006
    I like the Biyang Fuzz Star. It is a Big Muff variant though so it might not be the tone you're looking for.

I also have the Tomsline G-Fuzz but I don't use it as much, mainly for the same reasons VintageSG gave.

asatfan likes this.

9. luckett

luckett Friend of Leo's

Jun 14, 2011
    It's a bosstone without the clipping diodes and a couple of small cap value changes. It's completely different from the fuzztone.

artdecade and asatfan like this.

10. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2016
    California
    I picked up a mini big muff for 50 bucks new a year or two ago. It was the most one trick pedal I've ever owned, and I love fuzz, so I sold it. But it did that one trick pretty well.

asatfan likes this.

11. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    Not made anymore, but Modtone fuzzer is pretty good.

There's also the Eno Fuzz, I don't think it's that great, but for just that song it would do the job.

asatfan likes this.

12. artdecade

Dec 6, 2010
    Twangsylvania
    Weird. I trust you.
    I removed that from my post.

13. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jan 24, 2011
    Colorado
    You can get a clone of a Maestro MFZ-1 from Chicago Stompworks for $50. I have a clone they made of an Orange Squeezer and it's excellent.

asatfan likes this.

14. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    This is a great reason to need a fuzz pedal.

I have a cheap fuzzrite built from a kit, but I don't know who's got a cheap one on the market. Most of the cheap clones shoot for big muff or fuzz face users, because that's what the "rock lead guitar" people use. If you can't find a fuzzrite in time, you could settle for a silicon fuzz face style, but not a big muff.

asatfan likes this.

15. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    I have the Behringer Superfuzz I bought new for $25... it's been on my board for a year and I maintain that you can't have any more fun for $25 than that.

If it breaks, I'll buy another one.

asatfan likes this.

16. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Danelectro French Toast

asatfan, Fearnot and Sollipsist like this.

17. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Meister

Aug 25, 2016
    My thoughts exactly.

asatfan and Fearnot like this.

18. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Afflicted

Sep 11, 2016
    L.A.
    I just picked up a Nano Big Muff for $52.99 shipped from Reverb. Excellent condition. It's my first real fuzz. I really like it. But then I am going more Hendrixy and Gilmourish. :D But I dig those country dudes playing fuzz. Grady Martin lives!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    asatfan likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.