Cheap cnc necks....any good?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Ron M, Jan 10, 2019.

1. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

If you're a maker, or just looking to take a chance for fun, they're fine.

I have made one kit with a cheap neck (one that would sell for $35) and one parts-strat out of a licensed bubinga neck. The cheap neck needed fretwork (they probably all do), and the neck fingerboard was very clearly laminated instead of solid, but laminated like a bamboo floor in thin strips rather than like plywood. I used the dust the neck itself to burnish any visual evidence of the laminations away.

I am a starting builder, so the screwing around wasn't much more than it would have been with anything else, and the neck has been stable and plays great.

In feel with the attention that I gave the neck, it's as good as any other maple neck that I've played because:
    * the neck profile is comfortable
    * the frets are a size that I like
    * I gave the ends the attention they should have and beveled the edge of the fingerboard
    * despite the fingerboard being made of some kind of dymondwood-ish material, it seems to be stable and you can't see visually that it's laminated at all. The feel is the same as any solid rosewood board, but without any significant pores.

The frets on my bubinga neck are smaller and I like the profile less (even though I already flattened it out some - it was full vintage baseball bat to start). at some point, I'll take it back off of the guitar and rework the profile, but I don't anticipate I'll like it (it was about $225) as much as the $35 neck (no matter what) because of the little frets, and because the $35 neck has exhibited no problems now after a period of months with several weather changes.

If you can visually examine the wood in the particular neck you're getting, you're safer. Just make sure it has the aspects you want (neck profile and fret size), and buy it from a place that takes returns if you're concerned.

2. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

I will add that I went through the eBay seller Auroracustomshop, who also fully finished the neck, removed the finish "relic style" to the back of the neck while leaving the rest alone, as well as the nut and fret prep, and applied headstock decals for something like $170.

If you want a "one stop shop" from a very reputable seller who is very easy to deal with as far as special requests, you'll get an immediately playable neck ready to bolt on and go. From order to delivery was less than 2 weeks, for all this from an unfinished Allparts Fat C neck. He also pretty much has any combination of neck shape, frets, and fingerboard radius combos you could ask for.

3. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Afflicted

i've bought 3 or 4 chinese guitar necks from ebay, including and es335 neck, no problems so far. the es335 was the most expensive at just under 50$.
    now I need one of these to build bodies. I wonder if it can route pickups in the blanks as it cuts them?

4. Festus_Hagen

Festus_Hagen Tele-Meister

Did you get something other than the orange they have? Those "pre-finished" AllParts necks never looked good to me. I always buy raw and finish them. I had a member send me his to re-do , because after he got it he realized what color it actually was, and no clear coat either. :(

5. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

He does the finishing, so you can get anything from no tint to Cheeto orange, or anything in between. Just ask him, and he will spray to order.

6. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Holic

I put together a parts caster for around $100, threw in some Wilkinson ceramic pickups and Wilkinson locking tuners (which I already had) and one of these cheapie $30 eBay "vintage" necks. For around $135 out the door, it looks very similar to the American Standard tele I wanted (but no way could afford.) Yes, I spent quite a bit of time on the neck frets, but it came out looking pretty nice and plays nice. Maybe I got lucky.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.