Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Cheap cnc necks....any good?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Ron M, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Ron M

Ron M TDPRI Member

Aug 31, 2018
    New york
    Those cheap ones on eBay for 100 or so bucks. Anyone experience one of these? Are they a good deal or are they duds?

2. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    You call $100 necks cheap?

3. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Holic

Aug 22, 2018
    Washington
    All of the inexpensive aftermarket necks that I have had the pleasure to work with have required some fret work, but then I'm pretty anal about frets. Ken Warmoth commented in an interview that they did not do the final fret work because they knew the necks would change and that the person assembling the guitar should do the frets (altho he admitted that most don't). Otherwise they have been acceptable for the guitars that they were going on.

4. Ron M

Ron M TDPRI Member

Aug 31, 2018
    New york
    Yes? Seems pretty cheap to me, any way.

5. Festus_Hagen

Festus_Hagen Tele-Meister

Jul 6, 2016
    Jeff City, Mo.
    AllParts are only 110.00 from ebay. At least they are quality and licensed. I had ONE of those cheap-china ones. Never again.

6. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Holic

Aug 22, 2018
    Washington
    I can't buy the materials to make a neck for a hundred bucks, plus five or ten hours of my time.

My understanding is that Mighty Mite ships maple from the US to China, manufactures the necks and ships them back.

7. jonrpick

jonrpick Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    Marietta, GA
    I bought a $21 Strat neck off eBay. Haven't mounted it yet but it seems ok for its intended purpose.

FrontPU likes this.
  8. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

May 25, 2010
    North Alabama
    I got one of those GFS $25 paddle headstock necks. It’s fine. After I cut out the headstock, truoiled it, leveled and crowned the frets, and made a new nut.

9. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Holic

Aug 12, 2008
    Buffalo
    I import necks from China from time to time, they make some fantastic flame maple necks at a price that I can make a few bucks after polishing and set up. I have tried some of the lower end (under $50) and I have had a few issues with those. If you buy from a reputable seller that offers returns you will be fine.

10. jjudas

jjudas Tele-Meister

Jul 26, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I've bought 2 import necks that were under $50. Maybe I got lucky cause i got 2 good usable necks. I still think it's a gamble. Many people get crap.

11. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I've had Allparts, Mighty Mite, and Warmoth necks, and prefer them over the cheapo necks which have a different species of maple which looks odd to me compared to hard maple found in North America. The Allparts have more of vintage look and construction, which I prefer. Although I've had a few of the cheapo necks arrive here, I haven't bothered to use them as the amber finish was not to my liking or the general look of the neck or carve wasn't that inviting. I think a licensed neck for around 100 dollars is a good deal. A fret level and crown is probably a good idea on most necks where it isn't done at the factory.

telemnemonics and Mr_Q like this.
  12. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    Man, I've seen a few of those "cheep" eBay necks over the years, .. I wouldn't throw 'em into an outhouse pit, for fear of defiling the contents... unless you just get lucky, we're talking some real POS...

rk

13. Ron M

Ron M TDPRI Member

Aug 31, 2018
    New york
    This particular one im looking at they're saying is made from Canadian maple. Its fretted, the nut looks pre cut, and has been finished in lacquer. Its not a branded or licensed neck, but it does look nice. It doesn't have that tinted, orange finish you see on a lot of those All parts necks.

14. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Often not a lot different than the cheap necks that come attached to guitar bodies and strings. They are going to require a fret level and deep setup -- which is always part of the build experience. I've had to do that work on $800-$1,000 guitars too.

15. Ron M

Ron M TDPRI Member

Aug 31, 2018
    New york
    I dont know anything about cnc or even building necks. So I dont know what corners may be cut in order to make a neck less expensive than others, other than the fact that its cnc and not handmade. If I pissed 100 dollars away I would definitely feel it.

16. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Here are cheap necks and bodies being made:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    John Nicholas likes this.
  17. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

Sep 28, 2010
    Columbia, MO
    I bought one off eBay for around $30. With a level and crown and some nice tuners added it works just fine, plays great. I can’t believe some people spend $300-400 for a neck but to each their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

magicfingers99 likes this.
  18. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    +1

The licensed AllParts necks are great.

rich815 likes this.
  19. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

Aug 22, 2016
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Perhaps. But I believe there’s a level of QC done.

20. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

Aug 22, 2016
    San Francisco Bay Area
    I’d look for a used reputable-branded one for same or not much more. Used Fender MIM necks can be had for $100-125, used Squier for $85-95. Used allparts, mighty mite, WD, etc for $85-125.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.