Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Cheap chinese DIY kit

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by mjr428, Sep 17, 2017.

  1. mjr428

    mjr428 Tele-Meister

    226
    Nov 20, 2015
    Cedar Hill, TX
    I'm not sure if it actually "works"... I'll let you know in a few days... I saw somewhere on the interwebs where someone used distilled white vinegar in an enclosed container with the hardware in seperate containers sitting inside the container with the vinegar...
     
    darkforce likes this.

  2. darkforce

    darkforce Tele-Meister

    105
    Jan 2, 2016
    Germany
    Sounds like it could work, given enough time. Please let us know how the result looks!

    Best regards
    Johannes
     
    mjr428 likes this.

  3. mjr428

    mjr428 Tele-Meister

    226
    Nov 20, 2015
    Cedar Hill, TX
    Will do! I'm really just looking to take the shine off
     

  4. Kriticaster

    Kriticaster TDPRI Member

    Age:
    40
    24
    Nov 5, 2017
    Crete, Greece
    I’m interested to see and hear how this turns out... seen kit builds on YouTube and they can work with a little extra input... apparently the strings are total garbage, but you already know that by now ;)
     

  5. mjr428

    mjr428 Tele-Meister

    226
    Nov 20, 2015
    Cedar Hill, TX
    Yup, strings are garbage, but did serve a purpose. I used the e strings to line up the neck and bridge and get them into alignment.
     
    Kriticaster likes this.

  6. jhundt

    jhundt Poster Extraordinaire

    Age:
    63
    Mar 23, 2003
    Netherlands
    Ha ha! with my 12-string kit there were, in fact, 12 strings provided. They weren't wrapped, they were just loose. They weren't separated into pairs, they were just loose. They weren't labelled, they were just loose! I think I spent as much time trying to separate, measure, and label the strings as I did wiring the guitar.

    And you're right - they weren't especially good strings. That didn't really matter though, because the first set you put on a kit is just to test all the alignments of the parts, and get a rough set-up on the bridge length and height.
     
    Kriticaster likes this.

  7. mjr428

    mjr428 Tele-Meister

    226
    Nov 20, 2015
    Cedar Hill, TX
    Welp, I guess the vinegar treatment does work...
    1510013308095.jpg
    Especially on the brass parts... Some of the screws etc might have more patina then I desired where as the chrome parts didn't get effected too much, so I'm going to leave it in there another night or so...
     
    Kriticaster likes this.

  8. mjr428

    mjr428 Tele-Meister

    226
    Nov 20, 2015
    Cedar Hill, TX
    Started painting the body... Had some runs, so now I'm sanding it back to level it some. Not expecting a perfect finish but don't want it looking sloppy. 1510537936072.jpg
    Been contemplating whether or not to have some sort of relic finish... I like how some look but then I don't think I could make it look good or authentic.
     
    Kriticaster likes this.

  9. magicfingers99

    magicfingers99 Tele-Meister

    345
    May 7, 2015
    atlanta

    good job man. Buy some junk guitars off ebay with decent hardware and strip them down for parts. Always good to have extra tuners, pickups etc. - also watch ebay for "lots of guitar parts" shops cleaning house are always trying to dump stuff without inventorying it - just look at the pics and if it looks interesting make a bid...

    I picked up a half dozen gold grover tuner sets from a shop shutting down for less than 10$ a set - spank brand new.

    then it doesn't seem so outrageous to put some new & improved hardware on a very inexpensive guitar when needed....
     

  10. jhundt

    jhundt Poster Extraordinaire

    Age:
    63
    Mar 23, 2003
    Netherlands
    I think you are more organized than I am, and capable of forward thinking!

    But part of my experiment is to see whether the cheap hardware bits are actually detrimental or not. I know I can change them out in the future if necessary. But so many guys just automatically swap out the cheap parts; I thought it would make sense to swap a part when that part actually revealed itself to be detrimental.

    A funny thing is, this is the only guitar I own where the tone knob works right! I was very suspicious of the cheap pots/jacks/etc. But I am keeping them all for now.

    I have even corrected the deficiencies on the bridge; had to tap threads into already-existing (but unthreaded) holes, and cut a few little plates to put under the bridges for the high-octave strings... but now it's all working like it's supposed to.
     

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.