Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Cheap chinese DIY kit

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by mjr428, Sep 17, 2017.

1. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Nov 20, 2015
    Cedar Hill, TX
    So I saw these on Ebay and my curiosity got the best of me. I paid $60 bucks for it and I guess I can't complain too much. It seems what you'd excpect for $60. There are some peculiarities with it Though... It said that it's a basswood body, which it very well may be, but I've never worked with Basswood before, so no experience. It seems to be very easy to work with... I sanded down some sharp edges in minutes with 150 grit. It appears to be a 4 piece body but for some reason they put a veneer of some sort on the back... Don't know what they were trying to cover up, if anything. 1505676405307.jpg
    1505676413534.jpg

The neck seems ok, but might have a slight twist in it... Not sure if it's that or the finger board was radiused uneven which I think is the case. It's an Ammoon brand DIY kit. The only thing that I think I will for sure have to replace is the tuners, the rest I think will work. Anyone else have experience with these?

2. newuser1

newuser1 Tele-Meister

Mar 1, 2017
    Toronto
    I finished 2 similar kits, but from Solo Music Gear. The one you got is quite cheap. The cheapest hardware alone will cost about $60. Can you please post the seller's name or direct link to the auction?

3. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Nov 20, 2015
    Cedar Hill, TX
    newuser1 likes this.

4. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Nov 20, 2015
    Cedar Hill, TX
    Found another flaw... The neck has a floating truss rod. It works but it slides back and forth. Not sure how to fix that one... Anyone have any suggestions?

5. R.S.Fraser Sr.

R.S.Fraser Sr. Tele-Meister

Jun 6, 2010
    canada
    Buy a better kit?

kkphoto, guitarbuilder and xafinity like this.

6. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Sounds like a broken trussrod to me.

7. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Nov 20, 2015
    Cedar Hill, TX
    Now that would defeat the purpose, wouldn't it?

LeftFinger and 3-Chord-Genius like this.

8. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Nov 20, 2015
    Cedar Hill, TX
    I contacted the seller about the neck issue... Haven't heard anything yet. I'll give them a few days and then... 1505778801253.jpg

I guess I'll have to use this thing... Off comes the fretboard!

9. reddy2300

reddy2300 TDPRI Member

Aug 25, 2017
    Dublin, Ohio
    I built a Les Paul kit as my first build. It was ~$85. I needed to replace all of the hardware. I figured that would be the case, when I bought it. I used an Epiphone bridge and some Grover tuners that were pulled from a Gibson "something or other". It turned out to be a pretty nice build and a really good starting point. I have about $150 in a decent "player" LP. The neck required a spacer on one side of the neck pocket but I just shimmed it with a piece of mahogany. Other than that, the neck was routed correctly and the bridge to fretboard angles were perfect. Very happy with the outcome.

10. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Nov 20, 2015
    Cedar Hill, TX
    So upon further review, I've decided to move forward with the neck as is. The truss rod does work, but when its in the loosen position, there is a liitle play in there. When I tighten it up a little bit, it seems to lock into place. If it starts rattling around in there after I get it done, then I'll consider surgery.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.