Cheap, but awesome, battery powered guitar amps

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Antigua Tele, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

I found a couple cool portable battery powered amps on Amazon, of course from China. I wanted to share, as both seem rather novel.

The first https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00345GTY4/?tag=strattalk05-20

[​IMG]

Now you can have a guitar/ speaker combo wihtout literally having a speaker built into the guitar. They don't label it at all, but the three way switch is "off / clean / distortion", and the distortion mode is awesome, it feeds back with the guitar like crazy, due to the rigid connection between guitar and speaker. You can do a Hendrix Star Spangled Banner no problem. Of course this thing torques the input jack, but if you're careful with it, it's not bad.

The other cool find https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G268KNF/?tag=strattalk05-20

[​IMG]

This thing costs $50, which is close to the Blackstar Fly, but it's easily the most loaded $50 battery amp out there, it has reverb, chorus and tremolo effects, as well as a built in drum machine with tap tempo, and a tuner. It's not perfect, it feels and sounds cheap, but this is a price point where that is to be expected. The Blackstar Fly feels and sounds high quality by contrast, but it's not as feature rich and it's a larger, heavier amp that would not fit nicely in the side pocket of a gig bag.

I not only want to draw attention to these amps for Strat Talk's sake, but I hope they're rewarded with some sales and continue pushing the envelope on the batter powered amplifier front.

2. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

A guy used to have a battery powered line 6 pocket pod plugged into a battery powered makita radio when we worked remote. He was skilled and took playing as a craft and not a way to attract attention. Allways managed to draw everyone into his world belting out a tune through that dodgy outfit.

Luthier Vandros and twr102 like this.
  3. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

Can you axially hear the first one over the guitar string sound?

4. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

Axially? Wow! I meant actually.

Alamo and bender66 like this.
  5. claes

claes Tele-Holic

I miss my fender passport mini. Should'n have sold and may buy one again. It was my tv-amp, practised singing with headphones on it and even did a small gig once (singing and acoustic).

6. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I'll stick with the Roland Micro Cube.

7. 545454

545454 TDPRI Member

Amps come and go in my house, but the Micro Cube remains!

8. archiemax

archiemax Tele-Meister

Ditto.

twotone60 likes this.
  9. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I just bought one. It's lots of fun, and I plan to hit the streets with it. I ordered a rechargeable battery generator for it, and the whole kit should fit in my "busking box".

Busking Rig.jpg

Lake Placid Blue and claes like this.
  10. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

11. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Afflicted

did you do the mod to add the switch so you can turn the speaker off and on when recording from the output jack? Pretty handy and pretty simple

upload_2018-10-11_12-43-25.jpeg

I also installed a little bigger speaker in mine. Only ran it off batterys 2 or 3 times, usually use it plugged in.

I used these instructions to add the switch:

http://www.lojeck.com/brian/MicroCubeRepair.html

I've also got the danelectro hodad and the honeytone. They sound good plugged in but will clip on battery power, bad design I guess.But the honeytone will fit in a guitar case...

I use it on the bench to test things, so I keep the hodad plugged in to an ac/dc adapter when I use it.

upload_2018-10-11_12-15-52.jpeg

honeytone

upload_2018-10-11_12-17-6.jpeg

12. Jim622

Jim622 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have this and love it.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  13. 545454

545454 TDPRI Member

I did a slightly different mod to add an external speaker jack, just on a switch with the internal speaker. Certainly gets more volume, but not sure the amp is really voiced for a bigger speaker. Still, no harm in trying!

14. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Digging my Katana mini

15. J-bass&Tele

J-bass&Tele Tele-Meister

The Micro Cube GX has a pretty handy iLink. Headphones on and recording on the phone (1/8 input) at the same time. Quick way to record ideas.
    A powerbank and a USB->2.1mm cable is also handy if one’s trying to use less regular batteries.

16. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I heard one of these (Bose S1) being busked in Portland, Or. a few months ago. Totally awesome ... but not cheap. IMG_3159.JPG

17. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

I've been enjoying my Vox Mini 3 for about 5 years now. I'd never confuse it with my 'real' amps, but it's very satisfying anyway. That said, I'd have to give that little Blackstar a shot if I was buying today.

18. craigh9

craigh9 Tele-Meister

I like my pignose.

19. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I have the Blackstar fly 3. I don't think it's awesome, but it has served its purpose more or less. On mine the speaker has an intermittent short so I mostly only use it as a headphone amp, to be expected at this price point. I should have got a Vox amplug, oh well.

20. Tootle

Tootle Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nahh. My Vox Amplug gives me a headache. Sonically it’s putting out some very jagged edges, & headphones inject them straight into your eardrums. My Fly3 sounds much warmer, richer, more natural and versatile in tone, event through headphones, & on higher gain settings too.

That speaker short might be an easy fix if you crack ‘er open.

zephyrR1, matrix and Fearnot like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.