Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Cheap amp for telecaster and pedal steel?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Modernelove, Jul 13, 2018 at 5:41 PM.

1. Modernelove

Modernelove TDPRI Member

Sep 27, 2016
    New Jersey
    Hello everyone. I am wondering if anyone knows a good relatively cheap amp that can do both pedal steel guitar and electric guitar well. I am currently using an old hot rod deluxe which is fine for the electric but does not have nearly enough headroom for pedal steel. I am considering selling the hot rod and getting a Peavey Nashville or Vegas, would that make sense? Any other recommendations?

chemobrain likes this.

2. Mr Ridesglide

Mr Ridesglide Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dec 11, 2009
    Bloomington, MN
    Hey Moderne - You're probably going to have to give us a budget that you have in mind for "cheap" -
    Head room in "classic" tube amps isn't usually what I'd consider cheap - have you thought about a different speaker in the HR Deluxe?

Modernelove likes this.

3. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    I'm a tube amp freak, so I'd be looking at a Twin Reverb, silverfaces are cheap.
    I'm not a steel player and have two TRs, so I might be biased.

Be that as it may. . . . A bass player friend wouldn't stop pestering me to look at a Peavey TNT 130 bass amp for him, didn't matter how many times I told him I know nothing about solid state amps and have zero interest in learning !
    Finally I took the darn thing home carried down stairs (my old place) in hopes that it'd be something really easy. And it was! A few shots of pot cleaner did the trick, from totally unusable to working good. (wish all repairs were that easy)
    Anyway I put a Holy Grail verb pedal in front of it and really liked the sound of its 15" speaker for cleans, with a Tele. Think it had distortion too but I didn't try that.
    I think you could get into one of those for under $200, Nashvilles seem to command more.
    If you find one try before you buy. Don't buy based on my limited time playing one. I don't even trust my idea of good sound from one day to the next.

Modernelove and LuthRavin like this.

4. TelecasterSam

TelecasterSam Tele-Holic

Apr 25, 2003
    Indiana
    Nashville 400 with a Black Widow speaker used to be popular with steel players. I'm sure a telecaster would sound good with one.

pedro58, Modernelove and Mike SS like this.

5. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    Evans are comparatively inexpensive second hand, even the little 1x10 combo runs something like 200 watts RMS. The make a few w/ 15's and I have seen them for a little as $4-500.

mad dog and Modernelove like this.

6. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Holic

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    As always, Peavey Bandit.

ce24, RB522, Dennyf and 3 others like this.

7. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 9, 2012
    Nebraska

8. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    Fender Rumble 150 (gen 2), Rumble 200 (current generation)

Modernelove likes this.

9. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Nov 3, 2003
    North Louisiana around Many
    I've been researching amps for a friend. I think for steel you need at least a 12" speaker and for the tele too. The Champion 40(watts) seems like a good deal for $199.99 and free shipping--if you don't mind solid state. The You-tube test examples sound pretty good to me clean and distorted. Might be worth checking it out closer. Platefire

Modernelove likes this.

10. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Holic

Jul 1, 2005
    North Texas
    Bandit 65. My lap steels sound great through mine.

ce24, Dennyf, RedRock and 2 others like this.

11. chemobrain

chemobrain Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    used discontinues Peavey Pedal steel amps are really sweet if you like sparkling clean

Modernelove likes this.

12. Modernelove

Modernelove TDPRI Member

Sep 27, 2016
    New Jersey
    I have considered another speaker, but again I am not sure what would be good. I've heard black widow speakers are good for pedal steel but I'm not sure about guitar. My budget would be pretty much readable for the hot rod deluxe, $400ish. Thanks for the recxomendations so far everyone I will look into them all!

13. Modernelove

Modernelove TDPRI Member

Sep 27, 2016
    New Jersey
    Think they are good for telecasters too?

14. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    For both I agree a Bandit. Just got a Pro Jr. Would think it’s good for both, but for steel not so sure...

15. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    I have heard that the Katana 100 is getting good reviews from steel players as far as quality tone and volume in a light package

Dennyf likes this.

16. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    When I first saw this thread, I thought Peavey. I don't play pedal steel myself, but I know guys that do. Peavey is their amp of choice, usually the Nashville. I also wondered if a Peavey Bandit would do well for pedal steel. I figured it might, and bgmacaw and dannyh above say it does. I know my Bandit 65 was great with my tele.

bgmacaw likes this.

17. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    I have used a Bandit as a practice amp for pedal steel. I think the Cube 60 actually has a better clean tone for PSG tones.

For a new production model amplifier, I think the Katana 100 will beat a Bandit... It's louder, cleaner, lighter, and less expensive.

If you're looking at used stuff, it becomes more like gambling.

Seriously, the Katana 100 gets good reviews on the pedal steel forum. It is replacing Peavey's Nashville 112 as the 112 practice amp of choice, and the Nashville 112 definitely sounds better than a Bandit for PSG.

And the Katana 100 sounds better still.

For $350 including a manufacturer warranty, I think the Katana should definitely be on your list.

Fwiw, I have heard that for the best PSG tone from the Katana, you actually want to use the "acoustic" setting of the preamp.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018 at 4:14 AM

18. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2008
    Cologne
    How about trying the fender champion 100? It's like a solid state twin so it should give you a lot of headroom and it's dirt cheap.

19. One of the guys on the steel guitar forum just got a DV mark 50 for exactly what you want. He says it's not perfect but its very good. I think it was about $250. Needs a cabinet as its just a head but super light and portable

20. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Holic

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    I don't have a pedal steel (yet) but I use my Bandit a lot with guitars, lap steels, resonators and cigar box guitars. I even loaned it to a keyboard player once who needed something quick in an emergency and it did well with it too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.