Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Charliecasters!

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by ndcaster, Jul 16, 2017.

1. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    fired up the Charliecaster through the SFBMR '70 + 2x12 today (day off, we're moving to a new building at work) and was struck by two things:

1) Novak's bridge has no ice pick at all anywhere, just nice spanking tele bridge across the neck, sounds *sweet* playing up high, very happy with this pickup

2) I get beautiful round sounds out of TK's CCII blade, which is also responsive to the tone control, and I haven't monkeyed with the variable treble bleed yet.

first impression: beautiful, lots of sounds, more versatile than I expected

I'm using the tech's default pickup heights: CCII nearly flush to pg, Novak with a nickel gap to the pole pieces

tomorrow a Quilter Microblock 45 should arrive. I'll take it and a 1x12 out to a quieter building circuit for a run-through

really happy so far

blujaz1 likes this.

2. blujaz1

blujaz1 TDPRI Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Tucson,Arizona
    I should have clarified that it's the CC pickup that seems bass heavy. I think if I could lower it a hair more on the bass end of the pickup I would be able to get more balance volume wise and tonally out of the pickup. Right now it's seated against the pick guard on the bass side. As far as the bridge pickup, it sounds fine but I'm looking for something a little different. Maybe something like a Cavalier Lion pickup I had in a Tele long since sold. Sure liked that pickup. I'm using a Quilter 101 mini head into an old 50s Jensen 12" and use a Nocturne Jr Barnyard for effect to get the old octal tube sound. My other main amp is a '41 Gibson EH-185. For some reason balance on this amp sounds perfect with pickup adjusted as is. I usual only use the Quilter when practicing as I don't mind leaving it on for extended periods. I tend to practice in short 15 minute intervals with lots of breaks. I play the old Tiny Grimes style combined with 3 note swing chord rhythm.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    ndcaster likes this.

3. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    a cool dude, then

you happy with the Barnyard? I'm playing upright more these days, but I'm torn between the Flint and the Barnyard -- same price, so

4. IgnatzMouse

IgnatzMouse TDPRI Member

Aug 13, 2013
    CT, USA
    I just finished this one:

Also TK Smith CCII (pole piece) in the neck
    Curtis Novak (via TK) bridge PU
    Rutters bridge
    Warmoth neck (6150 Stainless frets)
    Warmoth Roasted Swamp Ash body finished with Tried & True Cherry Cerise oil-stain, followed by T&T original oil finish.
    Emerson 3-way wiring harness (I know, I know...)

Just newly strung up and needs a setup, but my initial impression is that I'm going to like this a lot.

TKCharlie.jpg

double_a likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.