Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Charliecasters!

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by ndcaster, Jul 16, 2017.

1. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    charliecaster-01.jpg

had to post because I'm so stoked it's working beautifully

Gotoh Kluson tuners
    WD Music neck, 2 pc maple, nice and clean from Atlantic Custom Guitars, 1-11/16" and fat
    Rutters ash body, finished myself in shellac + white mixol (pic is inaccurate: it's more white)
    TK Smith CCII pickup and pickguard
    Novak bridge to match, mounted w aluminum bolts
    Rutters bridge, straight comp brass saddles
    Treble bleed circuit for neck pickup, CTS 500k vol, 250k tone, .047 cap
    Electrosocket and Switchcraft jack
    D'Addario .11-47 flats, will switch to regular T-Infelds in a while

when the knobs come in, I'll fire it up and try to make a video. first impression is that the pickups sound fantastic, just what I was going for (old school) but more versatile than I thought. I've been waiting for Wally to hook me up with the usual set-up perfection, and he did.

hard to put this one down

faasie85, mrz80, rad1 and 11 others like this.

2. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    CC pickups just look like they wer MADE for a Tele ! I sure hope it really sounds like it looks like it should sound ! Congrats!!!

double_a likes this.

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

4. mrpants

mrpants TDPRI Member

May 16, 2017
    Chicago
    Very nice! That TK Smith CC looks like it's a larger size than the Lollar that I have in mine. I have the Lollar paired with a Porter 9T in the bridge and the two play really nicely together with just a touch of tone rolloff. I think Bill Frisell has been playing using a TK Smith CC on some recent work.
    Here's my baby. Warmoth body and neck. IMG_6139.JPG

faasie85, Warrant242, Deeve and 6 others like this.

5. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    mrpants, that's a beauty!

yes, the TK is larger, but I couldn't tell you what difference the geometry makes compared to the Lollar, whose sound is great, too

now all we need is either an octal amp, Tavo's Jr Barnyard pedal, or spending time with an EQ pedal...

double_a and El Tele Lobo like this.

6. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    Looks great. A buddy of mine is friends with TK and after I put a Lollar CC in my tele he found out that TK was developing his own version (this was a few years ago) and TK gave him one to try out. We compared them directly a bunch of times. I think TK uses A8 magnets while Lollar uses A2 magnets. They sound similar, but there are subtle differences that are noticeable as well. Both pickups are extremely sensitive to height adjustments. While Lollar suggests starting with the top of the pickup cover (not the blade) being flush with the pickguard and going from there, I thought that that sounded WAY too Straty for me. I prefer it super close to the strings. I like the way it effects the decay of the notes.

An octal amp or the Barnyard pedal do make a difference (I have a couple of octal amps, and same buddy has the barnyard pedal), but really when you're dealing with a solid body guitar the sound isn't going to get you that 40-50's archtop sound.

I will tell you that I've seen my buddy plug in to an octal amp, get great tone, and then plug into a Quilter with the Barnyard and get the same tone. The barnyard really gets that tone if you don't want to mess with octal tubes and their fussiness.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    double_a likes this.

7. screamin eagle

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    Oh, and how do you like the Novak bridge? I've thought about trying one out, but I actually like the Duncan Quarter Pound I'm using. Also, TK really likes to target clean tones with his designs and so while the Novak is a little bit overwound to mate with the CC, it is still in the vintage atmosphere as far as pickups go. I've heard TK play 'em, but TK's playing is so good that he could make a piece of yarn sound musical.

double_a likes this.

8. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Tele-Afflicted

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    That's a great-looking build! Nicely done! Can't wait to hear it!

double_a likes this.

9. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    thanks eagle

haven't had time to sit and test and tweak and re-test and re-tweak

current ideal is: Tuner > Flint > Jr Barnyard > Delay > Quilter 45 > 1x12

I'll have to sell some things hahaha

double_a likes this.

10. IgnatzMouse

IgnatzMouse TDPRI Member

Aug 13, 2013
    CT, USA
    Looks fantastic. Coincidently, I am waiting on a TK Smith CCII pole piece and the matching Novak bridge, and a Rutters bridge to put into a Warmoth build. It's great to see what the (potential) outcome will be!

double_a likes this.

11. screamin eagle

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    TK's stuff is great. Hard to be disappointed with anything he does. His guitars are REALLY cool.

double_a likes this.

12. rad1

rad1 Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA
    ndcaster, looks good

'cept I'm sorta biased...here's mine

Since the pic was taken I dropped the CC pup almost flush with the pickguard

[​IMG]

ndcaster and double_a like this.

13. double_a

double_a TDPRI Member

May 16, 2017
    Toronto
    I am thinking of selling my Novak custom wound Tele bridge pickup. It was not the sound I was looking for. PM me if you are interested.

14. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    wow, the TK CCII meters at 4.98 -- doesn't the Quarter Pounder come in at 13k or more?

15. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    yes, flush is where I'm starting

some guys like it a lot higher (Tommy Harkenrider, IIRC), maybe because they're after that great Charlie Christian amplified sound, which to me sounds honking, like a sax (mids, distorted)

Tim Lerch and his Lollars seem to go for a rounder, glassier sound (more bass, solid mids, a little sparkle)

TK is coming from the Bigsby and Mosrite sound, which to me sounds "drier" (hollowed out, higher freqs)

at any rate, I'll tweak and report on what I find and like

my recording hardware sucks, though

16. blujaz1

blujaz1 TDPRI Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Tucson,Arizona
    Rutters2.jpg
    My Rutter's build with TK pickups, ash body, and 10/56 soft v neck profile. I have a hard time dialing the bass level down when using my Quilter but no problems with excessive bass when using octal tube amps. The CC pickup is set as low as it'll go. I will probably change the bridge pickup in the future. As mentioned in a post above, not the sound I was looking for.

ndcaster and double_a like this.

17. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    nice git

this surprises and worries me a bit -- why do you think the bass is hard to dial down? and why would the Novak (a low wind) contribute to that problem? and I thought Quilter's controls were such that dialing up or down bass would make it easier, not harder, to sculpt whatever this combo of pickups would put out

I'll see what the Novak does for me -- I'm not looking for a fat sound in the bridge, at least in this guitar -- I've got another tele to bring the grease

this one is for work on the ranch

double_a likes this.

18. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Which Quilter amp are you using? I have the MicroPro 200 Mach 2 and from a tone stack perspective, it is one of the most flexible and effective I've ever used.
    Rob

double_a likes this.

19. screamin eagle

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    Yes, but the CC pickups are usually wound with much thick gauge wire thus the coil mass moves further from the center magnets faster as you wind the wire around. This contributes the the fact that CC pickups often meter in the high 3's / mid 4's. They are however strong pickups. It's one of the reasons why DC readings don't really tell you how the pickup is going to sound. 43 gauge wire takes a lot more wire to fill out the bobbin (if that's what you're trying to do), than 42 or 38 gauge. Surprisingly, I think the Duncan QP pairs very well with the CC.

20. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    thanks eagle!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.