Changed to thin strings

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by eddiewagner, Apr 17, 2019.

1. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

I also play heavier strings, but it's nothing to be proud of or boast about. You play the strings that work for you.

But... if you guys know Eddie, you know he is a hot-dog big-daddy son-of-a-***** mean-ass guitar player. If HE wants to slip down a grade or two to lighter strings, then you all should be thinking about it too! Nobody plays like Eddie Wagner, and I know this for a true and real fact.

eddiewagner and Alamo like this.
  2. MonkeyJefferson

MonkeyJefferson Tele-Holic

(My) Trigger finger pain seems to originate from a shoulder injury I sustained a few years ago, that ended up weakening that wrist. It’s the muscles in the wrist that control the back of the hand, not the palm-side that cause the condition for me. After one day of weights, very light, I felt noticeably better. Just wanted to share that with my older picking pals!

Piggy Stu likes this.
  3. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I just use a standard issue tennis ball. Someone showed me that trick when I was a kid and I've just kept it up, really helps my 65+ year old digits.

Oh, and I'm still using 10s. I'm afraid I'd end up snapping 9s like twigs.

- D

scrapyardblue likes this.
  4. Wildcard_35

Wildcard_35 Tele-Meister

I'm a lover of 9s, myself. I have a bit of hand/wrist arthritis from a couple of different injuries over the years and they feel better and sound about the same to me. Once you get used to them, breakage isn't much of a thing (unless I only brought one guitar to the gig, and you bet I'll break one!)

5. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

9's and 9.5's for me. Old man hand/finger pain makes it necessary. It forces me to be more precise in hard chording and leads otherwise the tuning goes. I use 10's on my SG (set up for slide). If I hit a fret it's bad technique and reminds me to keep a lighter touch.

6. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

congratulations. common sense has prevailed in your life. we could use more of that.

3-Chord-Genius and Alamo like this.
  7. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

For me, not playing heavy strings has nothing to do with strength, it's about pain management. I don't play light strings on my bass.

8. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Popped a set of 9-42 on a Tele for the first time in a while. I find the bottom two strings too floppy. The 9-46 work better for me

9. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

After decades of using 10-46 & 11-50 sets I have discovered this year the most balanced and great SOUNDING string set,the good old 10-38 ( .010, .013, .015, .026, .032, .038) everyone used back in the late 60s & 70s (Hendrix,Clapton,Page,Duane Alman,Rory Galagher etc.)....I did it strictly for the HUGE improvement in SOUND but they are also the most comfortable strings ever!

Heavy strings=better tone is THE biggest internet BS ever.

10. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

I use 8.5’s to 9.5’s. The older I get the weaker I get. Used to use only 9’s, but some of my guitars are harder to play for some reason. 8.5’s cured that. Had to put 9.5’s on an Ibanez semi and still a little bendy for some reason. Very easy Guitar to play. Also have a MIM Strat that is just easier to play as well.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  11. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I mentioned earlier that I moved down to a set of .08's after developing serious problems with my fingers. I should mention here that I was playing .10's briefly (.09's were my usual), but I honestly went with .10's so that I could tell people I was playing .10's. Back then, and probably now, there's a stigma attached to playing light gauge strings (you're more of a man if you play heavier strings, or some bullshiznit like that). Now, at age 52, it's important to me that I'm still able to play, and more important, enjoy playing. Nobody's going to know what I'm playing unless I tell them, and these days I tell people all the time that I'm playing .08's, in hopes that I can do my part to break that stigma.

12. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I use Ernie Ball Extra Slinky 8-38 on my fixed bridge guitars and Super Slinky 9-42 on my guitars with trems. I love the light strings for my arthritis and helping me develop a lighter touch. I no longer strangle the neck.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  13. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

All this talk of strings caused me to go to the guitar store.;) Having used 10-46 for much of the time I recently changed to 8-38. I like'm a lot.

This time I went large, having never used a heavy set before. I chose some dunlop 11-50. I don't think I'm a new convert but it is interesting to give them a shot.

I do feel that I like the skinny versions a bit better.

14. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

This is true, but it took me a while to adjust to the lighter gauge with regard to me strangling them.

15. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

Jon is the real badass here. I only say: pedalsteel.
    That handproblem happens mostly in the thumb saddlejoints. Since the shaft of an axe kinda swung back after a unlucky woodsplitting attempt.
    The rehearsals and shows oftmals band last a longtime, so the thin strings are wonderful.
    The dick dale factor is low....

16. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

I just keep it simple: 10s for all electrics, 12s for all acoustics. Since they're all the same size, it makes it easier to decide which brands or type of strings sound better.

17. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I've gone to the same strings as OP - .09s for electric and .11s for acoustic. I think it has more to do with the way you play than your age. I bend a lot and use a ton of vibrato, so the lighter the easier to push and pull those strings across the frets. If you're just strumming chords though I don't think gauge matters that much.

I do notice a significant drop in volume on my acoustic with lighter gauge strings.

18. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

that's one reason I use an Ernie Ball electric slinky set on my acoustic 12-string. I like to keep it in the living room and I strum it frequently during the day. The extra light strings are easy to play, put less stress on the bridge, and sound delightfully sweet. And they are not so loud to be annoying to my wife!

19. pdmartin

pdmartin Tele-Meister

When using a 38 do you find you have to raise the action a lot to avoid fret buzz? With a 42 I have to raise it to 6/64 to get away from the buzz?

20. straightlbues

straightlbues TDPRI Member

I use 10 to 56 on all my guitars. I am getting some hand pain and have seriously thought about going down to a lighter gauge. You guys are inspiring me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.