Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Chance opportunity 2017 Tele.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Cesspit, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Cesspit

Cesspit Tele-Meister

Oct 16, 2014
    Oxfordshire England
    Whilst out in Swindon working today I popped into guitar shop I happened to see. Inside was a Fender rep showing the owner examples of the 2017 Strat and Tele. I got to hold both and had a quick play though not through an amp. Here is my thoughts.
    The Tele was gorgious, particularly the neck. Satin finish with a lovely played in feel. Three brass compensation saddles but with a silly, very small bridge cover which will end up in the case. Poly finish, this one in a grey/blue colour, a bit like RAF blue, not seen that before but it was nice.
    I only held them for seconds so not much more to report.
    The rep said I was one of the first customers to see them in the UK so I feel a tiny bit chuffed.
    Though you guys would like to know.

2. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Jan 1, 2014
    UK

3. John C

John C Tele-Afflicted

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    That would be the 2017 American Pro Tele - the next generation/replacement for the American Standard. There are some photos of the regular and the Tele Deluxe (an update of the 70s 2-humbucker Tele Deluxe) in the thread called "Any Fender Tele Rumors" - evidently a couple are in stock already at Chicago Music Exchange.

4. Cesspit

Cesspit Tele-Meister

Oct 16, 2014
    Oxfordshire England
    NiP

This was the standard, rosewood neck US model. Strat was a maple neck Standard. Both very nice. I asked about price and was told retail was around £1300. The store also had AV52 for £1400. For me it would be the AV everytime, it was gorgeous.

5. adamajah

adamajah TDPRI Member

Nov 12, 2015
    out west
    So does the bridge cover thingy just cover the very back of the bridge, still allowing one to palm mute, as they've insinuated? Sounds very odd.

6. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Meister

Jul 25, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Very cool. The gray/blue colour was probably Sonic Grey.

I need to check with my local salesperson to see if a Fender rep will be dropping by his store. I'd love to get an early look at the new models.

7. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Tele-Afflicted

Jan 24, 2011
    Tennessee
    Why can't people palm mute on a traditional bridge? :confused:

fender68 likes this.

8. Cesspit

Cesspit Tele-Meister

Oct 16, 2014
    Oxfordshire England
    Yes, just about covers the saddles. Even the rep said he didn't approve.

adamajah likes this.

9. zumzool

zumzool TDPRI Member

May 3, 2004
    Just saw the ones at Chicago Music Exchange. Surprisingly, no one has mention that they took out the belly cut. Otherwise, I love the new bridge... hate the new frets.

10. wineocaster

wineocaster TDPRI Member

May 1, 2011
    Kelowna
    I was just at my local guitar shop and was surprised to find a new 2017 American Pro Tele in Mystic Seafoam. It is now safe in my basement. When I called Fender their sales rep was none too impressed that I was able to purchase one already. He eventually said they can't stop the retailers from selling their inventory. I have to say as a veteran Tele picker they have done a great job with these. The new bridge is great and the new neck shape 'deep C' is nice too. It is nice Fender has gone to a bit more substantial neck. The new V-Mod pickups are apparently a mixture of magnet types (I would think similar to the Seymour Duncan five-two pickups). The bridge pickup measures 7.07k and the neck 5.79k.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Tele-Afflicted

Jan 24, 2011
    Tennessee
    ive never been into sparkly guitars but man that color looks great with a maple neck

El Tele Lobo likes this.

12. wineocaster

wineocaster TDPRI Member

May 1, 2011
    Kelowna
    I'm trying to decide if it needs a black pickguard.

13. Tom-Australia

Tom-Australia Tele-Meister

Jun 12, 2015
    South Australia
    So the bellycut is gone? Good move.

Three saddles? Seems like Fender aren't quite sure what they want these guitars to be.

14. wineocaster

wineocaster TDPRI Member

May 1, 2011
    Kelowna
    You bet, no more belly cut and three saddles. Just like a Tele should be.

fender68 and El Tele Lobo like this.

15. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Aug 13, 2007
    ME
    That Mystic Seafoam looks gorgeous - congrats!!

fender68 likes this.

16. Tele 2K

Tele 2K Tele-Meister

Jan 22, 2004
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I'm not a fan of the tall narrow frets... Also not sure about the pickups, but the neck sounds like it would be good.

VW

17. John C

John C Tele-Afflicted

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    That is a pretty guitar; very cool color.

Can't wait to give one a try; the bridge looks really nice and I want to see how I get along with the neck.

18. adamajah

adamajah TDPRI Member

Nov 12, 2015
    out west

More pics! :D

19. AJ Love

AJ Love Friend of Leo's

Jul 10, 2005
    Madison WI
    Great to see Fender putting out an American guitar with 3 barrels... is the bridge thicker than the vintage style bridge?

fender68 and pdcorlis like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.