Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Champ through 4x12 cab - WOW

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by jsnwhite619, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    You gotta push air.

Whether you're pushing it with 5 tube watts or 25 watts, more speakers means you're pushing more air.

2. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    Anyone here messed with one of these with different voltages? This is a dual secondary PT, but it's on the 275-0-275 right now at 330v or so, it has a 315-0-315 available but I haven't tried it. I'm wondering how much of this particular tone today was due to the lower voltages.

3. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    I run my 1/8 W clean 1 W dirty ZVex Nano tube head through a 4x12 Greenback cab - sounds basically like a Marshall half-stack at the level of VERY loud talking. They run it that way at NAMM at have been asked to turn it down - not because it's actually loud. It just looks like it's loud! :lol:

4. Budda45ftw

Budda45ftw Tele-Meister

Aug 21, 2017
    Rochester NY
    I like 12s or even 15s in open cabs, 10s in closed. Lighter and tighter

5. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    I once owned an early '70's Marshall 8 x 10 cab in which I had installed Eminence Legend ALK 1028's. A Champ through that was large.

jsnwhite619 likes this.

6. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's

Dec 29, 2006
    Potsdam, NY
    I play my Muchxs blackface Champ clone through an open-back 1-12 cabinet with a very efficient, 100.1dB Eminence 1258 in it. Our singer borrowed it last year for our '80s band reunion gig. After one song in soundcheck, the keyboard players requested we move the little Champ stack to the other side of the stage because it was too loud.

7. pete-strych

pete-strych Tele-Holic

Jun 19, 2012
    My Kendrick Tweed Champ-like amp was designed to swap out the output tube, & handled it just fine. I actually preferred a 6L6 in it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.