Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Champ through 4x12 cab - WOW

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by jsnwhite619, Sep 26, 2017.

1. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    I took my champ I built a little while back to the local music shop today because one of the guys there just bought a 1961 Tweed champ that is all original except the cord. So we put them side-by-side and a b pedal and gave them some time to play together today. I've got to say I was a lot more proud of mine until I heard that vintage speaker, it still has the goods. I have a ceramic Jensen in mine that I got a great deal on at the time, but I didn't realize how grainy it sounds until I heard the Vintage one beside it.... Smooth as glass and louder. I forgot my multimeter and so I wasn't able to check his voltages. I kept mine low at 330v or so, but there is another secondary that I could bump it up to probably 370 if I wanted.

Anyway after enough of that, we plugged mine into a 4x12 cabinet. Rock and roll!

1506466575602.jpg

1506466594771.jpg

Alamo, danlad, Mahalo and 7 others like this.

2. Lonn

Lonn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2007
    Indiana
    Hell yeah.

Tommy Biggs and jsnwhite619 like this.

3. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Just "goes-to-show-ya" that some (most?) times the number/size of speakers are more important than the size/power of the amp!

4. Darkness

Darkness Tele-Holic

Apr 7, 2016
    Stygian Gulf
    RAWK!

This is why I put a shorting speaker jack in place of the RCA connector on my SF champs.

5. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Yeah, I did this with my AC10C1 and it was the sound of awesomeness. But I traded the 4X12 away last week because it weighed almost 100 pounds and was more of a hassle than it was worth.

mnutz likes this.

6. jsnwhite619

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    That's what I told him -- you don't need more amp, just more speakers!

JustABluesGuy likes this.

7. jsnwhite619

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    Yep. I used the small 5 watt OT, but added a 4/8 ohm switch. I'm glad I did.

Darkness likes this.

8. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Jul 5, 2010
    West Michigan
    Yup...I've gigged my 5 watt Swart 6v6se Space Tone (basically a tweed Princeton clone) through a Marshall 1936 cab before...with another guitarist running a Blues DeVille.

Absolutely no problem hanging with 40 watts and 4 tens. Five watts, two twelves and a Tele can do the job.

danlad, JustABluesGuy and jsnwhite619 like this.

9. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Tele-Afflicted

Jun 17, 2010
    Northern NJ
    I made an RCA to 1/4 " speaker cable for my BF Champ. It never sounded as good as those Tweeds though.

Darkness and jsnwhite619 like this.

10. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

11. Scott P

Scott P TDPRI Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Hollywood, FL
    That sounded great!

jsnwhite619 likes this.

12. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Tele-Afflicted

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    To me, the speakers are almost as important as the amp itself. I can get great tones and even decent volume out of a 2W Fender Greta with just an efficient 2x10.

I'm no longer a big fan of 4x cabs for various reasons, the main being their phase issues.

I'm a vertical 2x convert. I recently discovered the "line array" effect, and was amazed at the results! No beaming on axis or muddiness off axis.

There's no going back now because nothing else sounds "right" to me anymore.

13. Archtop Bill

Archtop Bill Tele-Meister

I was digging that clip, but dang it was too short.

Sounds great!

jsnwhite619 likes this.

14. jsnwhite619

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    I thought I was recording more, but messed up. Didn't realize it til I got home!

15. Archtop Bill

Archtop Bill Tele-Meister

Bring on some more when you get a chance.

jsnwhite619 likes this.

16. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    The thing to remember is (great sound BTW) is a small amp through efficient speakers will sound bigger and fuller and 4x12 is a lot of speaker area, but in a band context it will still seem lacking volume/headroom. That sounds loud because of a lack of competition.

I wouldn't up the B+ voltage if I were you. You might gain an almost imperceptible volume jump, but with the stock output trans already saturating you might generate a lot more heat for not much gain except more grind, and just wear tubes out faster. The charm of 5F1s is in everything just running a bit ragged - it's a fairly natural balance and yours sounds a goodie.

17. jsnwhite619

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    I have no idea what speakers were in that cab. It was a used trade in and wasn't high end. But, I'll say it didn't sound a whole lot louder through it, just so much tighter and together. It "felt" bigger though. But, headroom is such a big variable. I have a 3 pedal board with one being a tuner, I've never played an amp that lacked headroom for me, just output, maybe. I don't need a clean amp. Btw, I ran it through the Cannabis Rex I have in my Tweed Vibrolux, and I can honestly say that I could have gigged with that setup for anything I've ever played the past 15 years. That being said, my usual amps the last 5 years have been a Pro Jr or my 5e3 build, but the Champ through a C-Rex is a thing to behold.

18. pete-strych

pete-strych Tele-Holic

Jun 19, 2012
    Try putting a 6L6 or big Coke bottle KT-66 in the Champ, then plug in that 4x12...sick!!

19. jsnwhite619

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    I don't think my 5 watt OT would like it for very long!

20. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Dec 2, 2006
    NY
    People didn't start playing through Marshall Full Stacks just because it looks cool.
    Well maybe a little bit.:D

jsnwhite619 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.