Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Chalkboard finish opinions

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Rockdog, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Rockdog

Rockdog Tele-Afflicted

My next build is going to be an Esquire and I'm thinking about doing something out of the norm for the finish on the body. One idea I'm kicking around is using a chalkboard spray paint. I noticed Krylon makes both a green and a black finish.

Cool idea, or lame?

2. Zenzeypher

Zenzeypher Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2011
    Oxford, UK
    You just wanting a matte finish ?

I think it's a great idea, I love them with shiny scratch plates...I don't think a colour choice could be considered lame...but it will just look like matte i feel.

3. Rockdog

Rockdog Tele-Afflicted

I would like the matte finish aspect of it, but I'd also like the functionality. I just think it could be cool to have people draw/write things in chalk on my guitar that I could erase at any time.

4. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell TDPRI Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Columbia, SC
    Cool, unless it feels like a chalkboard, if so... avoid running your nails across it! I've been wanting to a stealth black finish (super-flat black) and put DR colored strings on it, as well as colored fret markers as a sort of Guitar Hero tribute guitar.

5. Zenzeypher

Jun 8, 2011
    Oxford, UK
    If you like the functionality too id go for it, but be prepared for multiple coloured smears all over your sleeves, trousers and guitar :D

I think after some time it might start to gloss as it gets worn but you can always top it up.

6. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    You could write your set list on it.

or maybe some cheater notes for lyrics you can't remember.

:D

7. Zenzeypher

Jun 8, 2011
    Oxford, UK
    or tabs or chords if youre learning something new.

8. Bolide

Bolide Friend of Leo's

Nov 21, 2010
    Rocky Hill, CT
    Why am I imagining a certain guitar builder doing one with a Martinsburg slate body and a granite neck for next year's challenge?

9. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    I think its a cool idea. You can have your kids, gfs, or etc. etc. draw on it before a gig. I noticed that stuff in Homedepot of few years ago, and I have always been curious to how well it works. You can also get the glow in the dark stuff in the same section.

10. slapshot

slapshot Tele-Meister

Sep 21, 2010
    Australia
    put a little mic on it so you can scrape your fingernails across it .better than a pick slide

11. Rockdog

Rockdog Tele-Afflicted

Thanks Colt--I have a 1-year-old daughter and definitely had her in mind when I came up with the idea.

That would be awesome :twisted:

I think you guys have convinced me.

12. SixShooter

SixShooter Friend of Leo's

Sep 20, 2008
    Cincinnati
    I suggest doing a test using that finish. I like to use mdf because it is pretty flat. Though do sand it first to get it absolutely smooth. Put down a good couple coats of primer. Sand lightly with about a 400 or 600. Then apply you chalkboard paint. You might need to sand in between coats. The question I have is how to get the final coat smooth without sanding? Perhaps you could sand it up to about 1000 or 1200. It will look matte if you don't polish it. Same technique may work using any black spray paint. The matte finish will get gloss marks where is gets rubbed like around your strap or the forearm area.

13. chillman

chillman Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2009
    Florida
    The first thing that pops into my mind is, how will it age? I know chalkboards are very susceptible to skin oils but they usually get wiped right off. I'd be curious to know what a few weeks worth of gigs would look like.

That said, I still like the idea! It would be one of the most unique teles I've ever heard of.

14. Rockdog

Rockdog Tele-Afflicted

I definitely plan on doing a test run on scrap. I'll probably use BIN shellac-based primer. For final sanding, I figure I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Because of its intended use, I would think that chalkboard paint contains a good amount of flattening agent.

FWIW, my scrap is going to be the original body I'd planned on using for this project. It's from an old Saga kit I assembled years ago. This weekend I took it apart and tried fitting the new parts, but they're not really fitting. The measurements are off. No surprise there. So now I need a new neck AND a new body. I'll probably go All Parts on the neck (one of the fat ones), but I can't afford to spend much on a body. The pine bodies from Red Dirt look good, but I'm also considering one of those paulownia bodies from GFS. I'm checking ebay, too.

15. boilerup2004

boilerup2004 TDPRI Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Indiana
    Plexiglass doesn't have the density of granite...

...this would weigh a TON! It would be cool, though.

I took a dead 112combo and painted a small piece of hardwood with the krylon chalkboard to fill the void where the chassis was. It worked out great and was fun on stage (great if you're in more than one band!), but I don't know how it would work on an axe.

I made a small chalkboard for the kids out of a piece of mdf, and it's a pain to keep clean. It also does not like being wet. Maybe make a pick guard first? If you like it, then go for the gusto. Maybe make a chalkboard first to see how the feeding and care goes.

16. Rockdog

Rockdog Tele-Afflicted

Duly noted. I'll test it out on a few different surfaces and see how it holds up.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.