Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Chainsaw problem

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by HotRodSteve, Mar 25, 2018.

1. HappyHwy1owner

HappyHwy1owner Tele-Meister

Feb 7, 2011
    Independence, Mo
    Carb cleaner does the same thing and won't hurt your engine!

william tele likes this.
  2. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    My Stihl MS260 I’ve run for about 10-12 years doesn’t seem to mind sitting for several months with mix in it, like November til April. It’s a hog. I just run it on unleaded premium gas & the Stihl oil. My smaller Stihl saws and blowers, weedwhacker do about the same, though they take some encouraging. My Stihl FS-110 likes fresh fuel and I run her dry at the end of clearing stuff for the season.

I’ve had carbs go to crap on my lesser Stihls and agree to just replace it.

3. kuvash

kuvash Tele-Afflicted

Feb 13, 2010
    Upper California
    Ran a product called Start Your Engine from Home Depot thru several of them then switched to pre mixed canned 2cycle gas has stabilizer in it works for me......tried this before a rebuild or new carb.

4. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    Here in the land of 10,000 lakes we've had ethonal mandated for at least 20 years. I've always spent extra for the ethonal free premium stuff for 2 cycles with mixed gas.
    However when the kids had snowmobiles I bought the cheap gas hoping that'd just kill the dammed old Polaris Colts, it didn't.
    My buddy's never used anything but the cheap stuff in anything including his Stihl chainsaws and never had trouble.
    I still use premium in my 371 Husqvarna because for the 5 or 10 gallons you burn in a chainsaw a year you're saving nothing anyway. But if I'm cutting with my buddy I use his gas and don't worry about a bit.
    Anyway as a former "big oil" person I should be totally against ethonal. But after over 20 years of actually living with it. I have to say the problems attributed to its use are pure hog wash, perpetrated by people that lack the intelligence to see what actually caused the problem. "Yuuper you ran that ethonal."
    I still don't like it. Lol

And yeah if your chainsaw carb is bad, check out new ones online. That 371 is 21 years old if it has carb trouble I'll buy a new carb. Or a new saw, it's feels more like a Twin Reverb every time I use it!
    71 CCs is a pretty big saw. :)

5. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    I maintain equipment at a farm, so I do a lot of this stuff.
    Complete carb tear-down and clean.
    Fastest I've seen ethanol fuel gum back up is 3 WEEKS, so get an additive.
    Don't get me started.
    I alter the idle and fast adjusters to accept a screwdriver because it's easier and I don't like buying special tools.
    Our local repair joint charges 80/hour (!!), so if you can't rebuild it yourself, a new carb is probably cheaper than a repair.
    Sad but true.

6. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    Texas and Louisiana
    TruFuel has saved me untold amounts of trouble. I now run the recommended mixtures in my mower, weedeater, and chain saws--plus the straight stuff in a four-stroke 8hp Mercury. No ethanol, no smoke, no odor, no measuring--and so far, no fuel-related trips to a shop in five years. Moreover, our winters here are short enough that I just leave it in the tank, and in the case of the outboard run the carb dry before storing. The shelf life of the canned ethanol-free fuel is supposed to be many times that of pump gas.

The stuff is expensive as hell, but...so is downtime and a carb, or carb rebuild, on a small engine. FWIW.

kuvash likes this.
  7. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI
    The least expensive solution is to buy ethanol free gas and then mix it yourself, if that is possible. Find the closest source:

https://www.pure-gas.org

8. drf64

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI
    I would not recommend carb cleaner. Too many plastic parts to melt. Use brake cleaner.

9. ce24

ce24 Friend of Leo's

Jan 26, 2008
    Idahoastan
    If you buy a new cab. Keep the old and take your time and restore it... Fog It,bag it,store it for a spare.

10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Chain saw junkies do everything they know how to do, not to get the blood flowing.

That's probably why I haven't busted a gut trying to get mine back after I loaned it out. I'm often unable to sleep if I know I'm gonna be fooling with one the next day. I try to be as safety conscious as I can be; sometimes a phobia is just something you have to live with.

Somebody just gave me a weed wacker that's sat with ethanol fuel in it. I'm draining everything and I'll try to run some 100% unleaded with a generous amount of Seafoam through it. But I will not be buying a replacement carb - the odds are too close to even it won't be enough.

william tele likes this.
  11. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I didn't believe in that ethanol rumor either, but when my neighbor's almost brand new Quad quit on him and took it back to the dealer, they cleaned out the ethanol and never saw a problem again, so I did the same and all of my small engine two-strokes and four strokes and all of them quit giving me fits (about three years now). I am wondering if it might be specific ratios or companies with ethanol addition that is creating different results around the country.

12. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    Could be the mix is different, and if methonol is used in some parts of the country I don't know. But that is much harder on things that the corn wiskey (ethonal) we get here.
    I first remember seeing "gasohol" in the late 70's, when dad filled his 64 Chevy two ton truck up with it. Gas tank was behind the seat and always leaked a bit when it was full. If that cab wouldn't have had the optional "Minnesota ventilation system" (rust) we would've been drunk on the fumes.
    Truck still ran just like 64 Chevy two ton truck with a load and a 327, guttless. :)

drlucky and Obsessed like this.
  13. HappyHwy1owner

Feb 7, 2011
    Independence, Mo
    Brake cleaner is not flammable. We were referring to a starting aid-usually squirted right down the throat of the carburetor to insure a fuel supply.

14. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

Oct 11, 2016
    Somewhere
    I would absolutely take the Carb off and let it soak overnight in a good varnish eating solvent.

Be sure and remove any rubber seals or gaskets before soaking.

After reassembling, get about 4oz of your correctly mixed fuel, and add about 1/2 oz automatic tranny fluid... Dexron 3 works good.

Run this through the chainsaw until empty...

It will smoke like a tar kettle, but it will be clean as a whistle inside!

15. WetBandit

Oct 11, 2016
    Somewhere

I believe you are referring to ether.

drf64 likes this.
  16. WetBandit

Oct 11, 2016
    Somewhere
    That's funny, cause I used to have an old GMC dumptruck with a 327 that would absolutely snap your neck through all 4 gears.

The fact it had a close ratio 4speed and 4.88 rear probably helped alot though...

17. WetBandit

Oct 11, 2016
    Somewhere
    Pour a few drops of tranny fluid into the plug hole and let that sit a while...

It will save your cylinder wall and rings.

18. HappyHwy1owner

Feb 7, 2011
    Independence, Mo
    I was referring to an alternative to ether.

19. WetBandit

Oct 11, 2016
    Somewhere
    What is it out of curiosity?

20. drf64

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI
    He said carb cleaner. I'm skeptical. It melts too many things.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.