Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Chainsaw problem

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by HotRodSteve, Mar 25, 2018.

1. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

Sep 24, 2013
    The Hudson Valley
    Hey guys, need some advice if possible. I have an old Husqvarna 137 chainsaw that hasn't been started in over ten years. It's gummed up and won't start, I was bad and let it sit with old fuel. What is the best way to clean out the carb and fuel line to get it going again? We just got nailed with some Nor'easters and I have a few downed trees to cut up.

2. Johnson johnson

Johnson johnson Tele-Holic

Dec 30, 2016
    Memphis
    Empty any old gas, remove air filter and clean it up (compressed air is good), replace spark plug, add new premix and let her rip. I've got Stihl and Husky saws and I'm bad about leaving old gas in them.

3. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    You could try running some chainsaw gas additive through it after cleaning the air filter and exhaust with compressed air, but odds are after 10 years, it is a carb rebuild time and if you have never done one, then take it in for a rebuild.

It is best to have the chainsaw up and running before the Nor 'esters. Just sayin'

4. kranz

kranz Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

May 2, 2003
    Atlanta
    I have a Stihl that only sees occasional use when a storm blows through. When it would no longer start, I bought a new carb online for a modest sum. It was quick and easy to install. Purrs like a kitten.

stratofortress, drf64 and Obsessed like this.

5. Obsessed

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Hey, that is a great idea. If that carb can be found on Amazon Prime, you could have that saw running by Tuesday or Wednesday or even pay extra for overnight delivery.

6. aerhed

aerhed Tele-Afflicted

Dec 24, 2016
    Boulder, WY
    Yup new cheap carbs proliferate online.

7. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    I would do all the cleaning and soaking stuff...but do you chainsaw junkies ever use ether to get the blood flowing? I'm kind of 2 cycle ignoramus.:oops:

8. screefer

screefer Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Feb 28, 2016
    kildonan

9. Wrong way

Wrong way TDPRI Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Washington the state
    New carb time. The Ethanol that's in our gas these days gets syrupy, crystallizes and fouls the jets and other parts in the carb. The smaller the carb, the worse it is. You can get a rebuild kit but new carbs are fairly cheap and much easier. Try to get ethanol free gas for your small engines and of course always run the carb dry when it's not going to be used for awhile. There's a product called Sea Foam which works great in your small engines and will help this problem as well.

10. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Tele-Afflicted

Sea Foam, premium no ethanol gas (if you can find it) keeps mine purring

TequilaCaster likes this.

11. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

Get the carb and fuel lines cleaned. Throw fresh premix in and bam. Done. Except for if your fuel lines have disintegrated. Sometimes that happens.

12. schmee

schmee Tele-Afflicted

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    remove carb and clean it out? Buy non ethanol gas.
    I have a small Outboard for sale. It's been in the garage 3-4 years sitting. Got it out today put in gas mix and after loosening up the throttle valve a bit, started in 5 pulls. I was disappointed, it usually started in 2 pulls if only left for a year. Non ethanol gas last used and carb ran dry before those years of storage.

13. Recce

Recce Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 3, 2016
    Northern Alabama
    You can go to Lowe’s, Home Depot, etc and they sell quart containers of 50:1 premix with 93 octane fuel. A little pricey but works really well and doesn’t go bad near as quickly.

getbent and don71 like this.

14. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2017
    Alaska
    go to the airport and buy some 100 low lead... very stable... last for years. and all older style engines love leaded fuel, especially high compression engines. Seafoam, as mentioned works as a system cleaner. I've rescued a few just by installing fresh mix with Seefoam added. squirt a shot into the sparkplug hole and/or ether in the air filter to get it going if needed. I park my equipment with a shot of Stabil and some Marvel Mystery Oil... run it until you smell it in the exhaust & its good 'till next fall/spring... usually more, but we don't have alky fuel

stratofortress likes this.

15. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Aug 6, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    My trusty Stihl 028 Wood Boss has always amazed me. Sits there for many years and then starts and runs like a champ when I need it. Amazing.

16. Obsessed

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Non ethanol gas is a must for 2 cycle anything nowadays. I was told never to use ether or any starting fluid derivative on 2 cycles. Main thing is to run it dry for long term storage or use the new Stihl storage fluid mix which seems to be doing fine on my stuff for two years now.

17. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

Sep 24, 2013
    The Hudson Valley
    I'll mix up some fresh fuel and pour a shot into the sparkplug hole first and see if it'll start. If that don't work I'll go to Plan B. Thanks for the advice guys.

18. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    Just drain it, re-fill with quality fuel mix, disconnect the plug, give it a few pulls, let it sit for an hour, add a teaspon of fuel in the plug hole, reinsert plug and it should fire up. Been doing that for 20 years.

kuvash likes this.

19. muudcat

muudcat Tele-Holic

Jan 3, 2010
    Fountain City, Wi
    carburetor cleaning is easy, usually vids on youtube. I pulled an O34 Stihl out of the recycle trash at our local recycling location, had to put some new parts on( air filter, bar and chain) but just cleaned the gas filter and pulled the carb, it was an easy clean. Next time use gas conditioner before you put it away or drain all the gas out

20. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

May 25, 2007
    St. Croix, USVI
    Get the carb cleaned, use a premium fuel, add a stabilizer (Stabil, etc) & run that sucker dry after every use.
    Our weed eater has not been started since before the first storm. I took it to the shop for servicing.

kuvash likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.