Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Celestion Speaker Advice

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Marc Morfei, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei TDPRI Member

Feb 6, 2018
    Philadelphia, PA
    Well Celestion sure doesn't make it easy to figure out their speakers. You want the G12H(75) or G12H-75?The V-type or Vintage30? The G12M, G12-65, or G12M Greenback? You get the idea. Plus, they don't seem to have sound clips on their website like Emi and Weber do. OK, now that rant is out of the way, I actually have a question. I have been steered by many people in the direction of a Creamback, and after reading way too many words and watching way too many videos, I think I like the idea. So, which Creamback? I will be using this as a replacement for a Seventy80 speaker which is in a Rivera Clubster amp. That speaker is OK,l but too thin, harsh and fizzy in the highs, especially on the gain channel. Looking for something smoother, warmer, more balanced, versatile.

The G12M-65 Creamback gets a lot of love from everywhere.
    The G12H-30 Anniversary sounds pretty good through a Rivera in some videos I watched.
    The Neo Creamback gets positive reviews all around, but it's not clear what it sounds like.
    Also considering the Vintage 30, which is not a creamback but always seems to sound good in every application.

Can anyone help me sort out what the difference in these speakers are? They are all in the $130-160 range. Thanks!

2. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Afflicted

Sep 14, 2016
    not houston
    if you click on the individual speakers you can hear sound samples. hope this helps.
    https://celestion.com/category/4/Guitar/size/25/12"Diameter/

3. heltershelton

Sep 14, 2016
    not houston
    sorry, that link doesnt work. go here and select guitar, then 12", then click on the individual speakers.
    https://celestion.com

4. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Meister

Jan 30, 2015
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Link will work better if th whole line is hyperlinked, like this: https://celestion.com/category/4/Guitar/size/25/12"Diameter/

As for demos on the web, there is so much compression, it almost never reflects what the speaker is like. Then there's the cab it goes in, and the room it is played in, and the amp it is played from, and the guitar that is used, and ... so many factors affect the tone.

heltershelton likes this.

5. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei TDPRI Member

Feb 6, 2018
    Philadelphia, PA
    I got the link to work, thanks guys. Unfortunately sound clips are not available for all speakers. Still, it's a help.
    If anyone has direct experience with the different creamback versions, please share.

6. heltershelton

Sep 14, 2016
    not houston
    im pretty sure the H series are still made in england. many of the others are now made in china, if that makes a difference to you. i have a g12m greenback in an ac4 and it sounds great.
    i dont think you can go wrong with any of the heritage series, just get one that can handle the wattage of your amp.

7. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    I have os little experience with Celestions I will probably do nothing but muddy the waters....

I had a Vintage 30 in a Princeton Reverb Ri. It sounded good, sounded like a Princeton. Maybe a little more upper mid stuff going on? Not as scooped as the Jensens in Princetons I've heard. It made my grab-n-go Princeton into a boat anchor. Let it go a few years ago. (I had a vintage Vibrolux Reverb that weighed the same amount)

I had an Alnico Gold in a 5e3. it sounded remarkable at volume, but was really dark and muddy at lower volumes. I swapped ti for an Eminence 1228 which made the amp sparkle nicely, without being too bright, even at lower volumes. It also weighs less. But, does not sound as 'Marshally' at higher volumes. not as much mid push.

I had a Creamback 65 (G12-M65?) in my '58 Twin (mixed with an Eminence 1258). It wasn't dark, or bright, had nice mids, broke up beautifully into a really nice crunch sound. Took overdrive really, really well. To save weight, I swapped in a Creamback Neo (and a Jensen 12-100). The biggest difference between the 65 and the Neo, besides weight, was probably efficiency and a slight softening of the treble response. The overall volume has dropped just a hair, not night and day, but a hair. The highs have softened in a nice way. Both aspects are good things with my 80 watt Twin. The two Celestion speakers really are rather close. I sold off the 1258, but have held onto the CB65. It is not a speaker I plan on letting go any time soon.

8. tce63

tce63 Tele-Holic

Jan 18, 2013
    Sweden
    I haven´t played av Rivera Clubster amp but....

I have one cab with Greenbacks a 2*12 VOX V212C and one with 1*12 Creambacks.

I have at the moment 2 amps

Vox AC15CH
    Marshall Orirgon 20C

For the Vox i really like the Greenbacks, ofcourse i tried it with the Creambacks, it was OK, but i like the Greenies better
    For the Marshall it was the the opposite.

I think the Creamback is a little warmer sounding, and not that harsh

But that just me

9. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei TDPRI Member

Feb 6, 2018
    Philadelphia, PA
    Axis, those are excellent comments, thank you. That confirms the good things i have heard about the Creamback. By the way, I have a Princeton Reverb with a 12" cannabis rex in it. Sounds pretty friggin good.

10. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei TDPRI Member

Feb 6, 2018
    Philadelphia, PA
    Tce, I have a Vox as well and I like the greenbacks in that also. Not gonna change that one.

11. sjruvolo

sjruvolo Tele-Meister

May 22, 2013
    New York
    G12m65 sound more woody and calm down the very bright amps they sound great in a closed back cab. The G12H75 do the opposite and as you may have guessed sound great in a open back cab also the 75's are more efficient and will give you 3 Dbs more volume.

12. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Sometimes it helps to go to boutique amp mfg and look at the speakers they offer.
    They have tested many with their amps.
    I like your selection, it is tough. Then there are the alnicos..lol

13. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei TDPRI Member

Feb 6, 2018
    Philadelphia, PA
    That's a good idea. I'll look at the current Riveras and see what speakers are in them. But they put the Seventy80 in this one, so I'm not sure what that means.

14. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

Aug 21, 2011
    ashland kentucky
    I like the 150w Celestion G12H Redback for a high wattage Celestion. Does most everything really well.

15. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    The Eminence Legend GB12 is a very good speaker. It was Emi’s first take on a British speaker. Good firm low end, warm woody tones, and the high end doesn’t get harsh when dealing with distortion.

16. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    A little higher end boutique. (Carr,milkman,toneking,red plate,etc)

17. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    I have used the Warehouse Guitar Speakers version this speaker in amps from Deluxe Reverbs to small Marshalls to a friend's Dumble Overdrive Special. It's a dead match for the Celestion but FAR less expensive - the Warehouse ET-65 Creamback.

Very highly recommended for your Rivera. I usually describe it in terms virtually the same as your "wants" - versatile, smooth, balanced. The highs are crystal-clear without any JBL-like ear-bite; it has excellent and controllable lows; and unlike older Celestion models it is not heavily midrange voiced.

FWIW I've also installed them in a Traynor Guitar Mate, a Holland Little Jimi (tested with 6V6, 6L6 and EL34 tubes) two in a '62 Bandmaster's cabinet, an old Airline 2x6V6/trem combo, and tried it (for testing purposes) in my '55 5D3 Deluxe I did all those with a Celestion Creamback as well, switching back and forth. It really shines with all of them.

It does NOT sound the same as a vintage Jensen or the really excellent Oxford in my '66 DR, so they Deluxe got their old speakers back. But if I needed a bit more headroom on a gig with either I'd probably use it.

I think the "Creambacks" are the best general-purpose guitar amp speakers available at this time, and I've tried dozens in most of those amps. There are better ones for specific voicings but if you playa variety of style IMO you can't do better for a 12" in its power handling range.

theprofessor likes this.

18. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Oct 1, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Not a fan of V30's at all. Always sounded too raspy for my taste.

My favorite Celestions are vintage G12-65's, Greenbacks, and Creambacks for Marshall amps.

The C90's always sounded good in my Boogies.

The Golds also sounded great in a Fender amp.

19. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Meister

Jun 17, 2017
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada
    I've got a Celestion G12H-30 Anniversary in a sealed 1X12 cab.
    It's actually a 1970 Traynor Guitar Mate III but I use the cab for testing amps I am working on.

So far every amp I have plugged into it sounds good, to very good, to great, to Awesome.
    Even some cheesy cheap solid state amps sound good thru it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.