Celestion Copperback, anybody tried one?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by D_Malone, May 15, 2019.

1. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

The Celestion Neo250 Copperback is fairly new and I can't find any reviews.

I've used EVM12Ls for years. I'm not looking for a sound-alike, just something lightweight with clean clarity. On paper the Copperback looks like it would work for me.

2. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think folks are still hesitant about anything neo still.

Intrigues me.

3. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

Understandable.
    I'm gonna get one soon. I'll report back.

uriah1 likes this.
  4. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

My Copperback arrived yesterday. I installed it in a sealed 1x12 cabinet and tried it with an AC30, AC15, and a Quilter Mach 2 (the amp I plan to pair the Copperback with), at "gig volume" and "bedroom volume".

I will give a complete review after a couple of rehearsals, but here are my impressions so far:

Celestion's description is pretty accurate. It colors your sound much like a typical Celestion, but with less "sizzle".

I've had a few neo speakers and the Copperback has some of the characteristics of the neo speakers I've tried e.g. tight low end, very fast attack, somewhat stiff feel at lower volumes. If those characteristics are a turn-off for you then don't bother with this speaker. I'm enjoying it so far and I do feel it's a good match for the Quilter because that amp is a bit woofy and the Copperback really tightens things up.

It has great clarity, a little bump in the upper mids, and a pretty sweet high end. Cleans are plenty jangley and it sounds good with distortion.

It definitely sounds better at higher volumes. Once the cone gets moving a bit the tight low end is really appreciated. At lower volumes it's a bit stiff and a little honky. Some break-in may cure that.

I think it's going to work well in a band mix. We shall soon see.

Muinarc and uriah1 like this.
  5. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

Well after some more time and a couple rehearsals with the Copperback I am not diggin it.
    As with other neo speakers I've tried ear fatigue sets in pretty quickly. It's difficult to put into words. The tone/voice is not bad, it's more to do with the fast attack and feel.
    If you don't like neo speakers the Copperback isn't going to change your mind about them.

What a bummer.

I'll be sticking with ridiculously heavy/expensive EVM12Ls for a while, I guess.

uriah1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.