Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Celebrity Encounters

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by HighTower, Dec 3, 2008.

1. HighTower

HighTower Tele-Lover

Since I came away disgraced for my post on meeting LR at the Red Fox, let me try to start fresh with a very positive encounter. I saw Loretta Lynn in 1972 at an outdoor, bench seating only, show in the middle of the woods in Culpeper VA. Her opening act was Hank Jr.[ who I had never heard before] and figured this would be a laughing stock, having recently discovered Hank Sr. musical legacy.
    I was flat out floored by his baritone voice and instrumental fluency, and became an immediate fan. I saw him many times after that, but the one time I’ll never forget was at a nightclub in Waldorf, MD.
    I saw his bus out front and decided to say hello. He was very polite and cool, and I told him how much I was looking forward to his show. So I went in early to have a drink and was stopped at the door by the bouncer and I swear it was right out of Johnny Paycheck’s “Outlaws Prayer”. He said I’m sorry sir but we can’t let you in without proper attire. I had on jeans and a home made t-shirt that said “Luke the Drifter”. I said what do I need? I live in Vienna, VA and can’t go home to change! He said you need a tie, a nice shirt and dress slacks to be allowed in. I was stunned! I only had $20 on me [for drinks] so I had to figure something quick. I went back to Hanks bus and told him my predicament. He laughed and said "I wear jeans and T’s all the time, but I don’t make the rules for places I perform". So now what? I drove to the closest Zayre’s and bought the cheapest shirt, tie and slacks and it took all $20 bucks. I went back to the bus again and showed Hank my new outfit. He laughed again and said “We’ll make it up to you during the show”. He did, halfway through the set he saw me and said “bartender, this man looks thirsty, all his drinks are on me”. He told the audience my story of improper attire and asked if I had any requests;
    I told him to play “The Biggest Fool of the Year” one of his best IMHO). Then Merle Kilgore came over and sat at my table and said “it’s good to see young Hippies like you appreciate country music”.
    Any other stories welcome, and those of you who are celebrities, how about fan encounters?

2. mudbean

mudbean Friend of Leo's

Ben Stein hung out & watched our last set at The River this past Friday. He said he liked us. He's smart, and has good taste. :grin:

mud

3. rextasy

rextasy Tele-Afflicted

Stop me if you get tired of hearing this one.

Around 1980 or so, my family was having dinner at a popular seafood restaurant in Hendersonville, home of many people who made money in the entertainment business in the '60s and '70s. There was no one else in the dining room. My mom, who was facing the back of the room, said "There's Johnny Cash." I craned my neck nonchalantly, trying to look behind myself. The waitress explained that JC was having a birthday party in the back room. Apparently he didn't miss our gawking, because he came up to our table and introduced himself. A polite, respectful man with a powerful presence.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. HighTower

HighTower Tele-Lover

Cool, I always loved JC, particularly his early Sun stuff. I'm not tired of hearing stories like this, in fact never heard it before. Players,fans, celebrities, we all have some stories to share.......

6. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

In my home town, there was a high school sports and academic hero named Ray Stein. Me and my grade school friends just idolized him and followed closely his basketball action at state tournaments. One morning at 5:00, my dad awakened me and said, "Do you want to have breakfast with Ray Stein?" I went and sat at the table in my PJs eating Fruit Loops, sitting across from Ray Stein, staring at him through blurry eyes. He was going hunting that morning with his dad and mine, who were friends from work.

At school, I told my friends, but they didn't believe it. It sounded so far out to them, that I gave up trying to convince them. My reputation was sullied.

A few weeks (or months) later, my friends and I were at the local high school gym to shoot baskets on a Saturday morning. We went into the locker room and saw Ray Stein. He looked up, saw me, and said, "Aren't you Larry F? I had breakfast at your house a few weeks ago." I didn't even have to say, "I told you so."

Ray may not be an international star, but he was a like one of the Beatles in our town. His sister used to sell original sheets of his old homework with his name on it.

7. Unseen

Unseen Former Member

I had breakfast in a hotel I was staying at and noticed Harvey Keitel was sitting across the way from me. Not exactly an "encounter" I suppose, but it was memorable.

8. mudbean

mudbean Friend of Leo's

Priceless!! :D :D

mud

9. Guitar_Ninja

Guitar_Ninja Friend of Leo's

Imagine what she got for his underwear.

10. getbent

getbent Telefied

c'mon man, guys like Ray Stein go commando.

I once stood less than 3' feet from a very naked star of the show Dallas... well, the star did have a turban on.... but that was it.

11. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

I met Chuck Berry at a friend's house when I was seventeen. He wasn't naked though.

12. getbent

getbent Telefied

'well she was just seventeen, if you know what I mean'

I'd imagine (based on video evidence) that next to Huey Lewis, Chuck may be the king of rock n roll... if you know what (whoops sorry buckocaster)

13. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Friend of Leo's

In '89 my sister bought me tickets to see the Stones in Dallas (always a huge fan but had never seen them). Trick was I had to fly up there to see them. Once on the Southwest 737 the flight attendent announced that if we could get stuff stowed away and seated in 5 minutes we could land in Dallas, otherwise we were going to be delayed for over an hour due to President Bush's AF1 coming in. Needless to say that was the most cooperative bunch of strangers ever.

Once in the air word passed from seat to seat that Oral Roberts was sitting up near the front. Looked like him from the back, but who knows.

We beat Air Force One in and deplaned. I hung around the air port to see AF1, and later saw (from a great distance) what I am sure was Corizon Aquino's entourage. The prez and her were having some sort of summit in Dallas that weekend.

In the Hertz (or whatever) courtesy bus I was sitting next to State Rep. Jeff Wentworth - very nice guy.

THEN I finally got to see the Rolling Stones in person, even Bill Wyman.

So in total, no real encounters but more near misses in the shortest period of time I'd ever experienced.

14. ScatMan

ScatMan Friend of Leo's

I can't imagine Larry Hagman wearing a turban..perhaps he stole it from Barbara Eden?

15. Telewilly

Telewilly Tele-Meister

LOL....I was thinking Miss Ellie. :D

16. chromaken

chromaken Banned

I used to work at a talent agency called Rollover Hollywood in S.F. Ca. I would go on auditions sometimes as well. Met a few people.. Robin Williams and Matt Daimon on the set of Good Will Hunting. Cage on the set of The Rock. That Miami Vice guy, but it was on the set of Nash Bridges.. Cant remember his. When I moved to Southern California me and my friends would go almost every friday night to watch a show get taped. Usually That 70's Show was norm for us...we were young and stoned so..it made sense. Once got to go down and sit on the Formans couch and met Laura Prepon, Mila Kunis, Ashton Kutcher, Danny Masterson, Debra Jo Rupp, Wilmer Valderama, and Kurtwood Smith. Topher Grace was teh only one that would disappear at the end of the night. Laura Preopn and Danny Masterson especially were really cool... Oh and some kids that are probably has beens now that were in a movie called Loyd... I was in a food fight scene... Awesome, But I have no idea who the kids are, and last but not least, the most famouse of them all...... wait for it..... The cast of Saved By The Bell The New Class.. Hah! Not even the orginal show... but the 3rd version of the show.... I actually was paid from my agency 220 bucks to sit in the audience to provide laughter.

17. mickeydean

mickeydean Friend of Leo's

i have had many but the three that were most interesting/fun to talk to were albert lee, bon jovi, and richard nixon.

18. jitensha

jitensha Tele-Holic

i met MCA from the beastie boys last year in Shibuya, Tokyo,
    I also met the Modfather about 6 months earlier in Harajuku
    [​IMG]

19. HighTower

HighTower Tele-Lover

:D:D:D
    I was trying to think of a funny comeback for Getbents wide open invitation. but after I saw this, I knew the prize had already been won.

20. Stevie 202

Stevie 202 Tele-Afflicted

Dan Ackroyd used to date my sister. He'd come over the our house all the time, but that was when he was a teenager and not near famous yet.

21. tboy

tboy Friend of Leo's

My band was playing at Park West in Chicago, when Todd Rundgren wandered backstage. I was talking to Barbie, a backup singer, and TR walked over and was introduced to Barbie. He turns to me and says, "I suppose this is Ken." BINGO!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.