Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Cedar canoe update and why I'm an IDIOT!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BobbyZ, Jun 30, 2013.

1. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Poster Extraordinaire

I just can't leave well enough alone ! The canoe was fine not very shiny and it leaked in one spot but no biggie I got it cheap. So I get some fiberglass and patch it then think well as long as I'm at it why not just sand the whole thing and slap on some Spar Varnish.
    It looked great untill it started to dry and wrinkel in places so at some point I'll resand and try again only this time I'll spray it on since I've never been good with brushes.
    Now the car. NO ROOF RACK and I want a Volvo rack. I found one about an hour away for 70 bucks. (it's not on in these picks) Cheap right? WRONG ! As I'm leaving the guy says his a 67 wagon for sale I'm going to buy it.
    Now I could have bought an aluminium or plastic canoe or even spent the money on a nice cedar one and hauled it on my Outback. (it has a rack)
    But I am an IDIOT.:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

2. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity

I had a roommate with a '67 Volvo wagon. It was a cool car. We had some good adventures in it.

3. homesick345

homesick345 Friend of Leo's

the volvo & the canoe are a blast from the 50s. It's the coolest thing I saw all weekend

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. LeftyAl

LeftyAl Friend of Leo's

the car looks to be in good shape.looks like a good combination

6. Rhythm Thief

Rhythm Thief Tele-Holic

I had a '62 Amazon saloon for a while, with the 1.6 engine. Mine was a dog, but very cool.

7. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Friend of Leo's

I'm certain that someone will be along to make suggestions on the wood treatment. In the meantime, congratulations on a charismatic automobile. I think I would look really good in one of those.

8. BruceF

BruceF Tele-Meister

edit

**edit** After the epoxy cures wash it with a scotch brite pad and warm soapy water to get the amine blush of then lay on your varnish **edit**I used Waterlox marine varnish on my cedar strip canoe with good results. Brushed on well. I had to turn the canoe over after finishing the inside as the fumes prevented the varnish from drying.

Looks good.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  9. BobbyZ

The Volvo. Well the paint job is like makeup on an old hooker. It covers some flaws. But over all it's solid and runs great. The interior was stripped out by a former owner but things like carpets and headliners are over rated anyway.

10. birddog01

birddog01 Tele-Afflicted

Looks pretty nostalgic Bobby, need to get yourself a tweed suit & a Kangol.

11. BobbyZ

I used Benjamin Moore Spar Varnish 440. I did a little googling and it's supposed to be a pretty good stuff and they have it in town. There may be better ones to use if the boat will spend more time in the water. In Minnestota this one won't get used all that much and will spend most of it's days hanging in the garage.
    I looks great where I got it on thin anyway. Next year when it's good and cured maybe I'll sand it back flat and try again.

12. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity

13. BobbyZ

Good song ! Another example. My girlfriend found a really cool VINTAGE pedistal sink for the bathroom. So tear out the vanity, redo the floor, the walls, get a vintage toilet and might as well do the claw foot tube while we're at it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.